tops to complement SS15 sub ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey, is there any 2 way speaker plans over here to make some tops
that i plan to use on top of SS15's subs

for now i will use 1 sub and 2 tops
later on add another sub and 2 more tops and so on
until i get 4 subs and 8 tops

now, i was looking at this
Peavey Euro 112 800W 12" 2-Way PA Speaker 248-8304
does a 12" driver is overkill ?

i like the way those peavey looks altough they may sound like crap
but anyway
the tops must be 8" 10" or 12"s

I think it depends on what you are looking for, but the 8" version below should work well. Finish the cabinets "to taste".

8" (cheap):
MTG-08 Speaker kit (Single) - Speaker Kits DIY Sound Group

10" (cheap not yet available):
SEOS Eminence-10 Kit - SEOS? Speaker Kits - The SEOS? Project DIY Sound Group

12" (cheap not yet available):
SEOS Eminence-D12 Kit - SEOS? Speaker Kits - The SEOS? Project DIY Sound Group

12" (expensive):
SEOS Deltalite-12 Kit - SEOS? Speaker Kits - The SEOS? Project DIY Sound Group

Another option (non-diy) is the Behringer B2031P, see measurements about a 1/4 of the way down the page here:
http://www.zaphaudio.com/blog.html

Last edited:
I think it depends on what you are looking for, but the 8" version below should work well. Finish the cabinets "to taste".

8" (cheap):
MTG-08 Speaker kit (Single) - Speaker Kits DIY Sound Group

10" (cheap not yet available):
SEOS Eminence-10 Kit - SEOS? Speaker Kits - The SEOS? Project DIY Sound Group

12" (cheap not yet available):
SEOS Eminence-D12 Kit - SEOS? Speaker Kits - The SEOS? Project DIY Sound Group

12" (expensive):
SEOS Deltalite-12 Kit - SEOS? Speaker Kits - The SEOS? Project DIY Sound Group

Another option (non-diy) is the Behringer B2031P, see measurements about a 1/4 of the way down the page here:
Zaph|Audio

Hey Scott
i plan to use the tops for PA , not for home
as i see those kits are aimed for home use
i need high spl from a single cabinet,
maybe i can change the high and low drivers to a more powerfull option
and bi amp, what you think

I don't know where the crossover points are for the speakers mentioned here, but it seem at least on first glance that the kits recommended by ScottG are very comparable to the Peavey you linked to in your first post. 12" pro sound woofer, and a one inch compression driver. I would guess that the kits would compare favorably to the Peaveys. Certainly more bang for your buck.

Joe

fair enough... I've never done any PA work, but I think you are probably right that MDF wouldn't be the first choice for cabinets. At least with the "SEOS Deltalite-12 Kit" that I looked at you aren't obligated to purchase the MDF flat pack when you get the kit. Easy enough to build your own enclosure out of plywood.

fair enough... I've never done any PA work, but I think you are probably right that MDF wouldn't be the first choice for cabinets. At least with the "SEOS Deltalite-12 Kit" that I looked at you aren't obligated to purchase the MDF flat pack when you get the kit. Easy enough to build your own enclosure out of plywood.

things is that i need some plan so i can cut the plywood pieces

Yes, you could use any of those kits. The SEOS designs will have a broader coverage pattern (if that's important to you), though the 8" kit is still pretty broad coverage - at least comparable to the Peavy (and probably wider still).

..the video link will allow you to hear the treble-loss off-axis towards the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkDki019l4U

The mdf would need proper sealing BOTH inside and out to avoid damage from moisture/humidity. (..do a search for wood sealer - something that penetrates the wood).

Because of the 8" design's smaller size AND substantial bracing it may well be more than rugged enough with mdf.

If you wanted you could also contact the kit developer to see if it's possible to have them done in plywood. I believe forum member Scaper (Eric) has something to do with DIY Sound Group:

diyAudio - View Profile: Scaper

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.