Wavelet CSD – a better graphic representation of loudspeaker/room interaction? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2012, 09:22 AM   #1
Rudolf is online now Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Wavelet CSD – a better graphic representation of loudspeaker/room interaction?

I’m trying to understand how the representation of sound in wavelet diagrams, as recently discussed in this thread , relates to more conventional representations in impulse response or SPL diagrams. It comes in handy that I just have measured the response difference between two states of my listening room front wall:

front wall reflection1.jpg

The difference is in two large sheets of 4 cm thick Basotect added above the desk. Basotect is an open cell melamine foam with well defined absorption qualities:

Basotect absorption.gif

Note how 4.1 cm thick Basotect starts to absorb at ~500 Hz and is fully absorptive above 1.5 kHz.
I had measured the ungated response of the left speaker at the listening/microphone position. The red reflection path got my special interest of course.

Let’s first look at the “conventional” diagrams.
These are the impulse responses before/after the installation of the Basotect panels:

Imp resp 1 Baso difference.gif

The impact of the front wall response is marked with the white arrow head. It is the only remarkable difference between both responses. The timing has been checked with the room geometry.
The difference is easily detectable in the Energy Time Curve (ETC)too:

ETC Basotect difference.gif

But there is almost no sign of the deleted reflection in the frequency response:

FR Basotect difference.gif

For a contrast we look at the wavelet CSD analysis as provided by Elias Pekonen Elias Pekonen Home Page - Wavelet Software
First his energy time curve (ETC) which does not completely agree with the ARTA curve above, but which shows a comparable difference in the pre/after Basotect results around 7 ms (arrow):

Imp resp Baso difference.gif

Now the wavelet CSD analysis in an animated comparison, both normalized and not normalized:

ani wavelet normal.gif

ani wavelet.gif

“mit Baso” is “with”, “ohne Baso” is “without”.

Would anybody like to comment on the different representations (conventional <-> wavelet CSD) and their usability for a critical analysis of loudspeaker room interaction?

Rudolf

Last edited by Rudolf; 9th October 2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 9th October 2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Banned

The wavelet CSD shows differences <7ms but there shouldn't be any?
Old 9th October 2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Banned

By the way, Rudolf, your dipole bass is too slow
Old 9th October 2012, 03:31 PM   #4
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Some comments

The wavelet package does not plot ETC, but it is impulse response in a dB scale i.e. 20*log10(abs(ir)) where ir is the impulse response.

The CSD may be best used in higher freqs than what you are using it. Try to set the lower limit to 500 Hz for example.

Better analysis to see room reflection points in more temporal detail is to use constant-Q or Bark wavelets. They have naturally more 'narrow' presentation at the top end.

Then multiresolution analysis of the above methods increases information in a one plot.

Hope to see more plots coming

- Elias
Old 9th October 2012, 05:22 PM   #5
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Markus - agreed

Rudolf - The ETC is the most obvious, but the impulse response is just as informative if you know what you are looking at.

Elias - I have no trouble with wavelet analysis usage at high frequencies, I don't see it as any better or any worse than traditional techniques, but you have been saying that its use for LFs in small rooms somehow shows how dipoles are better than monopoles. But now you are saying "The CSD may be best used in higher freqs"
Old 9th October 2012, 05:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
The wavelet package does not plot ETC, but it is impulse response in a dB scale i.e. 20*log10(abs(ir)) where ir is the impulse response.
"My" ETC in Arta looks largely the same as "your" impulse response, if I use the same x/y scaling.
Quote:
The CSD may be best used in higher freqs than what you are using it. Try to set the lower limit to 500 Hz for example ....
Hi Elias,
I finally took the plunge and installed Octave and your wavelet package on my Windows computer, following your links and instructions. It was easier than expected - really. Hopefully this encourages others to follow .

In the meantime I will follow your recommendations and try the other methods too.
Quote:
Hope to see more plots coming
Always at your service
Rudolf
Old 9th October 2012, 09:09 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
Elias - I have no trouble with wavelet analysis usage at high frequencies, I don't see it as any better or any worse than traditional techniques, but you have been saying that its use for LFs in small rooms somehow shows how dipoles are better than monopoles. But now you are saying "The CSD may be best used in higher freqs"
Yes, quite a contradiction.

Nevertheless it would be very helpful to have an easy to use method of visualizing modal ringing at low frequencies.
Old 9th October 2012, 09:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post
"My" ETC in Arta looks largely the same as "your" impulse response, if I use the same x/y scaling.
ETC and impulse response are largely the same, only that ETC tries to represent an envelope which may or may not be very intuitive for an impulse response.

Well, ETC is what it is. I just plot the impulse response to visually check that everything is in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post
It was easier than expected - really.
I'm glad to hear that
Old 9th October 2012, 09:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I followed Elias’ suggestion to alter the CSD wavelet (now starting from 500 Hz) and to include a Bark wavelet:

ani CSD wavelet.gif

ani Bark wavelet.gif

While both above diagrams clearly have their merits, they both emphasize (to me) a problem which Markus had already addressed in post #2: While I can very well see the attenuation of the reflection at 7 ms plus, there is too much happening/changing at other times too.

It reminds me of pictures with heavy unsharp masking. Even the finest detail is featured very prominently, and the visual distribution between “severe” and “marginal” is not linear – for my taste. In a way these wavelet diagrams are very “analytical” in clearly showing those small differences. In another way they can visually suggest a difference between two situations/measurement/principles, which may not be as severe when actually heard.

I’m aware that this is my VERY subjective impression. These days German art museums show a broadly renewed interest in expressionist painters. And I can’t help to find these wavelet diagrams quite “expressionist” too. Resolving for sure, but often on the verge of being strident.

I will need some more personal comparisons between what I hear, what the usual diagrams tell me and what those wavelet diagrams show, before I have digested this new tool.

Rudolf
Old 9th October 2012, 09:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hey, you havent done constant Q yet !

Hide this!Advertise here!