New Morel drivers: TiCW 634Nd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For a second there I thought the cones were going to be made out of Titanium not just that the voice coil former was. I am highly skeptical of Morels claims with regards to the use of the material in that position, it would be interesting to see how the drivers with the copper in the motor perform though.

I think this is a "trickle down" affair with Magico. i.e. Magico spec's things, and Morel makes their drivers to this spec.. After a while Morel starts incorporating this into their own designs. About the only thing I don't think you'll ever see from Morel is Magico's diaphragm design.

As for this driver: to much mass - it's turgidly inefficient.

For this sort of fs and sd I'd like to see about half the mms shown and utilizing a quality foam surround.

As for this driver: to much mass - it's turgidly inefficient.

For this sort of fs and sd I'd like to see about half the mms shown and utilizing a quality foam surround.

Well then Scott it's just the same as 99% of other 6.5" drivers out there. Obviously this isn't anyone's idea of a higher sensitivity driver. Although I do agree with you, it would be nice to see a few more mid/bass drivers that put more of the focus on the 'mid' part of rather then the 'bass' part.

I have one in my hand right now. I received it from Russel Kaufman, and I will be testing it soon.

Jeff B.

That will be interesting to see.

Drivers with huge dia VC's versus Sd tend to have high mms.

Even pro units (where it's a lot more common). Bigger coil, bigger former, more mms.

Often a problem with these larger coils is the diameter in relation to the top of their pass-band. (.."break-up" problems.) Who knows though, perhaps the material composition and large center dome structure mitigates it for this particular driver?

I have one in my hand right now. I received it from Russel Kaufman, and I will be testing it soon.

Jeff B.
Seems to me that using an aviation-style Titanium former has gotta be marginally better than aluminium. :D

Looking at the predecessor 8 ohm version CAW 638 below, I cant help wondering if a targeted notch at 4.4kHz would turn this into an outstanding mid/bass. I make that a shunt of about 12uF, 0.1mH and 2 ohm. BSC coil ought to be about 0.6mH for a wallmounter. I think I made the tweeter filter to be about 4.7uF and 0.2mH with some attenuation. Would almost fancy tuning it by ear. :D

Attachments

• Morel_CAW_638_FreqResp.JPG
    Morel_CAW_638_FreqResp.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
I thought things were looking up for morel when they released those carbon fibre composite cones a while back, now it's back to poly. Not that there's a tremendous issue with poly, but people do tend to steer clear. Maybe it's their strong connection to car audio that keeps them poly as the material isn't going to be affected by atmospheric conditions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.