New Morel drivers: TiCW 634Nd - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles The diyAudio Store Gallery Blogs Donations FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2012, 08:29 PM  
DrDyna is online now DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Default New Morel drivers: TiCW 634Nd

Hey fellas, I just got a notification that Madisound is now carrying the new series of Morel drivers, such as the TiCW 634Nd.

Speaker Building Supplies from Madisound

What does everyone think of them? The response and breakup modes seem very manageable.

Anyone have any usage ideas?

Old 9th October 2012, 06:17 PM  
diyAudio Member

For a second there I thought the cones were going to be made out of Titanium not just that the voice coil former was. I am highly skeptical of Morels claims with regards to the use of the material in that position, it would be interesting to see how the drivers with the copper in the motor perform though.

Old 9th October 2012, 07:11 PM  
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

I think this is a "trickle down" affair with Magico. i.e. Magico spec's things, and Morel makes their drivers to this spec.. After a while Morel starts incorporating this into their own designs. About the only thing I don't think you'll ever see from Morel is Magico's diaphragm design.

As for this driver: to much mass - it's turgidly inefficient.

For this sort of fs and sd I'd like to see about half the mms shown and utilizing a quality foam surround.

Old 9th October 2012, 08:50 PM  
diyAudio Member

I have one in my hand right now. I received it from Russel Kaufman, and I will be testing it soon.

Jeff B.

Old 9th October 2012, 11:01 PM  
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
For this sort of fs and sd I'd like to see about half the mms shown and utilizing a quality foam surround.
Drivers with huge dia VC's versus Sd tend to have high mms. Never have been a fan of Morel drivers and these large voice coils.

Old 9th October 2012, 11:19 PM  
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
As for this driver: to much mass - it's turgidly inefficient.

Well then Scott it's just the same as 99% of other 6.5" drivers out there. Obviously this isn't anyone's idea of a higher sensitivity driver. Although I do agree with you, it would be nice to see a few more mid/bass drivers that put more of the focus on the 'mid' part of rather then the 'bass' part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
I have one in my hand right now. I received it from Russel Kaufman, and I will be testing it soon.

Jeff B.
That will be interesting to see.

Old 9th October 2012, 11:54 PM  
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
Well then Scott it's just the same as 99% of other 6.5" drivers out there.
It's a 4 ohm driver.

On the other hand the SD is smaller than anticipated - really is more of a 6" driver, so not quite as inefficient as anticipated.

Good looks though.

Old 10th October 2012, 12:06 AM  
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinOBIWAN View Post
Drivers with huge dia VC's versus Sd tend to have high mms.
Even pro units (where it's a lot more common). Bigger coil, bigger former, more mms.

Often a problem with these larger coils is the diameter in relation to the top of their pass-band. (.."break-up" problems.) Who knows though, perhaps the material composition and large center dome structure mitigates it for this particular driver?

Old 11th October 2012, 06:04 AM  
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post

Jeff B.
Seems to me that using an aviation-style Titanium former has gotta be marginally better than aluminium.

Looking at the predecessor 8 ohm version CAW 638 below, I cant help wondering if a targeted notch at 4.4kHz would turn this into an outstanding mid/bass. I make that a shunt of about 12uF, 0.1mH and 2 ohm. BSC coil ought to be about 0.6mH for a wallmounter. I think I made the tweeter filter to be about 4.7uF and 0.2mH with some attenuation. Would almost fancy tuning it by ear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Morel_CAW_638_FreqResp.JPG (90.1 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by system7; 11th October 2012 at 06:17 AM.

Old 11th October 2012, 07:28 AM  
diyAudio Member

pity the exact Ti alloy isnt mentioned. Marginal weight reduction, offset by huge diameter. Large cost for tiny improvement. Gimmick. Shame they stick to their vague polymer description. Many drivers, all remarkably similar, move on Morel. Puh-lease.

Hide this!Advertise here!