Solid wood suggestions for cabs. - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2012, 02:49 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Default Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
Im looking for solid wood, or at least finger jointed wood, for my new speakers. Having read the BBC papers in the past, Ive used birch ply in my last project. Im trying to get away from the traditional sheet materials (ive got a small 2 way using granite also in the pipeline). So far ive arrived at 2 choices, birch and beech. Does anyone have any better suggestions?
While not cheap, you can avoid having to build your own slabs.

John Boos | Online Store

Regards,

WHG
Old 11th October 2012, 04:56 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppet View Post
White Oak has a fungus "companion" that effectively fills its pores. The fungus does indeed aid in the woods rot resistance. Old colonial days ... white oak was used as roof shingles. George Washingtons Mount Vernon buildings still have them in place.

Red Oak doesn't share this feature. Look at end grain samples of both species and the difference is readily apparent.
Never come across red oak.
Probably because it is an american species.
Old 11th October 2012, 05:27 PM   #43
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
Never come across red oak.
Probably because it is an american species.
You guys import an azz load of it.
Old 11th October 2012, 05:36 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

This is a great aborial thread!
Red Oak is new to me also, though im not generally a fan of Oak due to the open structure. White Oak would probably suit me better, if i were to opt for an Oak.

So, after a few searches i found a timber merchant local to me. Of their stock of 9 varieties, im considering US cherry, black walnut and since the last few posts, maybe also white oak.
Boards of 8inches by 1.75, priced at around 30GBP per meter. So it looks possible to make a small volume box out of few lengths, without much joining of boards.
Old 11th October 2012, 05:48 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

The wider boards will tend to cup more with time. I tend to try and keep the boards less than 4" and alternate grain pattern so the boards that are joined together will want to cup in alternate directions. You might be ok with 8" by 1.75", but it would certainly be much more stable if you joined two boards that were 4" by 1.75". Just make sure to alternate the grain...

Joe
Old 11th October 2012, 06:11 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Hello chaps, kind of on topic I guess, but why does everyone use glue to hold speakers together and not screws?
Old 11th October 2012, 06:20 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I was a little concerned about a wider board cupping, so i also looked at 2 of 3.75 wide planed all round instead of a single board. Regarding 'alternating grain' i assume you dont mean perpendicular, and mean alternating the curve of grain. Im not THAT green, but im no master craftsman either.

P.s. I think that glue actually bonds better in most cases, doesnt weaken, split or damage the wood as screws can

Last edited by mondogenerator; 11th October 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11th October 2012, 07:20 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mondo.
Old 11th October 2012, 07:21 PM   #49
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

All this talk of oak. I gave Bernie enuff Garry Oak to build a set of uFonkenSET...on his project list.

It is a protected species here -- I had an opportunity to help mill up a dead fall and took home some of the "waste". Incredibly hard wood with a very tight grain.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old Growth Garry Oak

dave
Old 11th October 2012, 07:28 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

thats the cool climate for you, im sure that very northern pines spruces etc are also 'better' quality too.

Hide this!Advertise here!