Vandersteen 2C crossover access - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2012, 06:51 PM   #1
dgta is offline dgta  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Vandersteen 2C crossover access

Has anyone successfully taken these crossover boards out? In one piece? They look to be glued in with a few pounds of silicone. Bordering on ridiculous. I need to replace the pots and doesn't look doable with the boards in place.

Any help appreciated.
Old 8th October 2012, 09:34 PM   #2
xjr100 is offline xjr100  Europe
diyAudio Member

If it is not doable - you can upgrade them: build new ones with better components and destroy old ones.

Seen exactly same question on other forum - that it is easy to destroy and build new.
Old 8th October 2012, 10:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't think so.

Easy to destroy, maybe. Easy to build new ones, no. I have to reverse engineer it (can't get schematic), then design and make new PCBs, then make the inductors. Not a chance. The speakers are probably worth $400 a pair at most, less with non-original XOs. And only thing wrong is the pots on one XO only. The other one is good.
Old 8th October 2012, 11:21 PM   #4
orpheus is offline orpheus  United States
diyAudio Member

Could be a chance to try an active crossover. I know that isn't what you were looking for, but it might be fun to turn them into active loudspeakers.
Old 8th October 2012, 11:38 PM   #5
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Slightly pry with a wide bladed stiff putty knife along an edge.
The pots can be pulled apart and cleaned once you have them loose. A little Deoxit along the coils will last awhile.

Don,t mess with the crossover unless you have a impulse testing rig and know to do it better than Richard which is highly unlikely

Regards
David
Old 9th October 2012, 06:04 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Nope, that didn't work. The putty knife has to be slightly flexible in order to get it in there. It does penetrate the caulk, but then it's too flexible to pry it hard enough to dislodge. Only one edge is accessible, from the back only.

I did manage to unsolder the midrange pot and cleaned it. The tweeter pot pins are not accessible.

Interesting pots they used. Solder lug type, not pcb. They cut the lugs off partially. What's left is flat wide blades so they had to put huge holes in the pcb. Then they flooded the huge holes with solder to maintain a sealed box. Truly an amateur hack job.
Old 9th October 2012, 09:27 PM   #7
xjr100 is offline xjr100  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgta View Post
I don't think so.

Easy to destroy, maybe. Easy to build new ones, no. I have to reverse engineer it (can't get schematic), then design and make new PCBs, then make the inductors. Not a chance. The speakers are probably worth $400 a pair at most, less with non-original XOs. And only thing wrong is the pots on one XO only. The other one is good.
Get metal rule, grind it and use as a knife. It is flexible enough to help.

Most probably while you trying to remove PCB board you can damage it, but not the inductors, which you can use in new crossover board.
An advice is to replace resistors and caps. All the resistors to more powerful and most important caps. If you can draw the schematics - community will help which caps to change and to what type.

After such an uprade your speakers will cost more with upgraded components And indeed will perform better.

Take a google search and you will find that owners suffer from those crossover failures, mainly because resistors. That it was the idea why to build better crossovers.

You do not need to make PCBs - just direct connections like this:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd October 2012, 03:39 PM   #8
chriso1 is offline chriso1  United States
diyAudio Member

I have successfully removed and reworked the crossovers from 2 Vandersteen 2Ce's. What I did was to pry off the board on the back of the speaker that the crossover is glued to. It took a bit to free that as it is glued and stapled in place. After that I worked my way around the circuit board with a large flat bladed screw driver. It takes a bit of pressure to free the circuit board but it is quite think and the traces are very wide so I wasn't too worried about it cracking, it did take quite a while, progress was very slow.

Once I had the crossovers free, I replaced the caps with better quality but the same values, replaced an obviously overheated resister and bypassed the thermisters that in my case were being activated at very very low volume levels and whipping out the bass.

I replaced the wood that the crossovers were mounted on since it was damaged while prying it off.

The end result was a significantly improved speaker.

Hope this helps.
Old 22nd October 2012, 05:47 PM   #9
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Dunno.. these are iffy to diy patch.
Friend has a pair and his were shipped back to the factory for repairs/upgrade.
Yess an expensive PITA. However these things are individually 'voiced' .
No parts are identical, from drivers to resistors, regardless of their makers claims. Vandys' mix 'n match parts / components so their products meet their standards. They think such detail makes a difference.
Replacing bits sans experience and reference standards may or may not 'improve' the sounds.
Feeling lucky ?
Old 22nd October 2012, 06:08 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yes I'm feeling lucky. More accurately, I feel competent.

I only really need to replace/rebuild the pots, so no "matching" issue there. If I decide to replace caps and/or resistors, they can be measured and replaced with identical values, to within 0.1% if I so choose. There is no magic.

Chris, that is an excellent idea. Didn't occur to me to remove the wood part holding the XO board. I should have thought of that. Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!