diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   Vandersteen 2C crossover access (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/221167-vandersteen-2c-crossover-access.html)

dgta 8th October 2012 05:51 PM

Vandersteen 2C crossover access
 
Has anyone successfully taken these crossover boards out? In one piece? :D They look to be glued in with a few pounds of silicone. Bordering on ridiculous. I need to replace the pots and doesn't look doable with the boards in place.

Any help appreciated.

xjr100 8th October 2012 08:34 PM

If it is not doable - you can upgrade them: build new ones with better components and destroy old ones.

Seen exactly same question on other forum - that it is easy to destroy and build new.

dgta 8th October 2012 09:43 PM

I don't think so.

Easy to destroy, maybe. Easy to build new ones, no. I have to reverse engineer it (can't get schematic), then design and make new PCBs, then make the inductors. Not a chance. The speakers are probably worth $400 a pair at most, less with non-original XOs. And only thing wrong is the pots on one XO only. The other one is good.

orpheus 8th October 2012 10:21 PM

Could be a chance to try an active crossover. I know that isn't what you were looking for, but it might be fun to turn them into active loudspeakers.

AVWERK 8th October 2012 10:38 PM

Slightly pry with a wide bladed stiff putty knife along an edge.
The pots can be pulled apart and cleaned once you have them loose. A little Deoxit along the coils will last awhile.

Don,t mess with the crossover unless you have a impulse testing rig and know to do it better than Richard which is highly unlikely

Regards
David

dgta 9th October 2012 05:04 AM

Nope, that didn't work. The putty knife has to be slightly flexible in order to get it in there. It does penetrate the caulk, but then it's too flexible to pry it hard enough to dislodge. Only one edge is accessible, from the back only.

I did manage to unsolder the midrange pot and cleaned it. The tweeter pot pins are not accessible.

Interesting pots they used. Solder lug type, not pcb. They cut the lugs off partially. What's left is flat wide blades so they had to put huge holes in the pcb. Then they flooded the huge holes with solder to maintain a sealed box. Truly an amateur hack job.

xjr100 9th October 2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgta (Post 3194241)
I don't think so.

Easy to destroy, maybe. Easy to build new ones, no. I have to reverse engineer it (can't get schematic), then design and make new PCBs, then make the inductors. Not a chance. The speakers are probably worth $400 a pair at most, less with non-original XOs. And only thing wrong is the pots on one XO only. The other one is good.

Get metal rule, grind it and use as a knife. It is flexible enough to help.

Most probably while you trying to remove PCB board you can damage it, but not the inductors, which you can use in new crossover board.
An advice is to replace resistors and caps. All the resistors to more powerful and most important caps. If you can draw the schematics - community will help which caps to change and to what type.

After such an uprade your speakers will cost more with upgraded components ;) And indeed will perform better.

Take a google search and you will find that owners suffer from those crossover failures, mainly because resistors. That it was the idea why to build better crossovers.

You do not need to make PCBs - just direct connections like this:
http://www.audes.ee/failid/VN9J9239.jpg

chriso1 22nd October 2012 02:39 PM

I have successfully removed and reworked the crossovers from 2 Vandersteen 2Ce's. What I did was to pry off the board on the back of the speaker that the crossover is glued to. It took a bit to free that as it is glued and stapled in place. After that I worked my way around the circuit board with a large flat bladed screw driver. It takes a bit of pressure to free the circuit board but it is quite think and the traces are very wide so I wasn't too worried about it cracking, it did take quite a while, progress was very slow.

Once I had the crossovers free, I replaced the caps with better quality but the same values, replaced an obviously overheated resister and bypassed the thermisters that in my case were being activated at very very low volume levels and whipping out the bass.

I replaced the wood that the crossovers were mounted on since it was damaged while prying it off.

The end result was a significantly improved speaker.

Hope this helps.

Bare 22nd October 2012 04:47 PM

Dunno.. these are iffy to diy patch.
Friend has a pair and his were shipped back to the factory for repairs/upgrade.
Yess an expensive PITA. However these things are individually 'voiced' .
No parts are identical, from drivers to resistors, regardless of their makers claims. Vandys' mix 'n match parts / components so their products meet their standards. They think such detail makes a difference.
Replacing bits sans experience and reference standards may or may not 'improve' the sounds.
Feeling lucky ?

dgta 22nd October 2012 05:08 PM

Yes I'm feeling lucky. More accurately, I feel competent.

I only really need to replace/rebuild the pots, so no "matching" issue there. If I decide to replace caps and/or resistors, they can be measured and replaced with identical values, to within 0.1% if I so choose. There is no magic.

Chris, that is an excellent idea. Didn't occur to me to remove the wood part holding the XO board. I should have thought of that. Thanks.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:12 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2