Cardioid Bass.... yes, very good!! - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2013, 01:06 PM   #61
kees52 is offline kees52  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Roflynn

Thanks for the story, interesting, I have made also H frames and U frames, (leaking box version and normal version) the H frames did sound the best from all except the leanking box has more spl watt, (6dB) so it is worth to test further later on but try to make it cardioid is not easy below 40 hz you need a delay line and extra speaker then, oke what you sy about localise the bass always keep crossover below 100 Hz say 90 Hz will do because every ob can easely do 90 Hz without to much loss, and so you can put the subs on other places but fase can go troubling.

H frame

second test of H frame dipole speaker. - YouTube

and low tone with a dipole cardioid who has very small openings on the cones to lift up the qts, it did give serieus output but needs power and heavy cones so this one has not
much power need before going out of xmax..

20Hz bas tone trough dipole box - YouTube

it came from here.

http://www.kirchner-elektronik.de/~k...L-CARDIOID.pdf
Old 9th February 2013, 03:18 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

I did some measurement on the linkwitz w dipole, here are the results of a shelf filter in the amp and 120 hz low pass, on 260 Hz you see a rest of the dipole peak plus 4 dB so we need a notch here, I think make the box bigger, or longer bigger baffle when not folded we get a peak lower then the 260 Hz, I think the notch technic can alowed for a bigger folded open baffle W frame, even one with a slot two woofers and folding with notch give a higher efficienty what is oke. Even we go to 50 Hz or lower but it get a pipe and need maybe even more notch, I don,t now or notching wil have effect on the sound, never tryed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dipole measurement.jpg (142.6 KB, 421 views)
Old 14th February 2013, 01:00 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
I will . . Thus will be a littler different because I will be using digital eq and delays to make things absolutely identical.

If we get a couple of rainy days I may be able to throw the old CRAW together and see if it still works. I don't have the drivers it is supposed to be used but some that are pretty similar.
When you get to it, I'm Very interested, I'll keep my eye out - what might you call the thread
Old 14th February 2013, 01:15 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
In theory I like cardioids too. They have the potential of allowing them placed very close to the room front wall
Elias/ JohnK

Do you have a link or reference, re allowing them to be placed very close to the room's front wall?

Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 01:45 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto88 View Post
Elias/ JohnK

Do you have a link or reference, re allowing them to be placed very close to the room's front wall?

Thanks
I did some simulations here.
Old 14th February 2013, 01:52 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

If u use a bessel delay line it is most precise for some octaves.
Old 14th February 2013, 02:07 PM   #67
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

We must remember the room and it's modes and nodes, if we consider bass output and reflections. They always create a resonant system (It is practically impossible to kill those) As we know music contains many frequencies and harmonics of them. It is a very heavy task to manage all this.

I think that a multisub approach is the most practical solution, it gives remarkable results even without dsp.

This is valid for bass region 20-90 (150)Hz. Above this early and late reflections are important. How do you control all this - I don't believe in making a well behaving (in a room) single speaker that goes 20-25000Hz.

The AV amplifiers have a subwoofer xo around 80Hz for a reason. This always gives me better bass than full range speakers (at home). And using this feature makes it easier to choose good main speakers and good sub(s) And I can place mains and subs to their optimal positions. (which are never same)

I have also a "pure 2ch" set. It is very hard to get bass right with it. The practical solution is to use it when playing vinyl records, speakers are 9 liter closed box that fail to go very low! They can however exite my room mode at 45Hz
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient

Last edited by Juhazi; 14th February 2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12th March 2013, 04:55 PM   #68
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

Gainphile, did you pursue this idea further?
Did you get to take freefield measurements in 360 degrees?
Old 5th May 2013, 05:54 AM   #69
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris81 View Post
Gainphile, did you pursue this idea further?
Did you get to take freefield measurements in 360 degrees?
TTT...
Old 6th May 2013, 11:32 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

It's winter man ... 2 deg outside

Hide this!Advertise here!