Cardioid Bass.... yes, very good!! - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2013, 08:38 PM   #41
Banned

kees52, not sure I do understand your last post but I believe you misread mine. I was referring to John's last post and "near field" means "source very close to the listener's head".
Old 1st February 2013, 09:02 PM   #42
kees52 is offline kees52  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
If bass is "punchy" or not is usually a midrange property. That darn Fourier stuff again. You of course have selected superb mid-range armament. My experience is bass is a matter of managing the peaks and distortion. Are you expecting some sort of un-equal phase cancellation front to back modifying the radiation pattern? Please enlighten me here.
Yes the idea is change the radiation pattern to get cardioid, for what the inventer concerns, but I try to get more efficienty and keep open baffle sound intact for as far this wil work, sound world is weird you now but fascinating.

Oke I have did measurements here there are.

1, resonance, 2, sweep 2 meter distance, 3, sweep 1 meter distance, 4, sweep near distance, 5, sweep 1 meter distance with shelf filter on, 5, sweep with holm impulse red is back and blue is front.

Some tips about the measurement welcome, and it is done inside my living room, so not ideal but measure in the rain outside is even more severe.

The next I will make the box bigger, see what this brings, like the inside closed box properties for this drivers. As you see the plots are looking like the dipoles, but I have more spl watt, even without shelf filters I have really good bass, there is some ripple in the plot like we have with transmission lines, but it is very small and can come from the shelf filter ripple because it is a very simple one for testing.

While measurement with holm impulse, things did shake in the room, so it looks good.

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resonance box.jpg (170.2 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg sweep 2 meter distance.jpg (150.8 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg sweep 1 meter distance.jpg (155.3 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg sweep near distance.jpg (153.3 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg sweep 1 meter distance-shelf-on.jpg (154.8 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg Holmsweep near distance-shelf-on.jpg (486.0 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by kees52; 1st February 2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 1st February 2013, 09:12 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
kees52, not sure I do understand your last post but I believe you misread mine. I was referring to John's last post and "near field" means "source very close to the listener's head".
Ahh oke, I understand, I have did measurements near field, but I did write that wrong? I did mean the mic very close to the opening of the box, little the same as with my ear but then I get trouble.
Old 1st February 2013, 10:01 PM   #44
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I will hold onto this idea. I can think of some places where it could work to advantage. I am not a fan of OB, mostly because my listening rooms are not at all good for that, so I am a conventional small box guy for now.
Old 1st February 2013, 10:16 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks. I will hold onto this idea. I can think of some places where it could work to advantage. I am not a fan of OB, mostly because my listening rooms are not at all good for that, so I am a conventional small box guy for now.
My room is also not big, 21 square meters max incl kitchen.

the box I have test is small, 40 x 31 x 33.6 I believe have to measure, but is quite small and big bass fo it.
Old 1st February 2013, 10:39 PM   #46
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Putting sound in a room and still having it comfortable while maintaining high WAF is half the art.
Old 1st February 2013, 11:12 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Putting sound in a room and still having it comfortable while maintaining high WAF is half the art.
Why you guys do go married if you are in love with sound.

Be the way, this bas box is quite small, and give good sound even with movies, I have a short u frame with two old phillips bas and tweeter for the region above 120 Hz, this old 1975 speakers do very well, I like sustainability, old speakers are often very good.

I drive a klassic car also, but not much.

Oke serieus Waff is sometimes a problem that is why I am free man, if I don,t the third worldwar is near.
Old 2nd February 2013, 04:41 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...04623691_n.jpg\

The upper bass here, the lines next to the bass horns, is cardiod. It sounds very good.
Old 2nd February 2013, 05:53 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOH View Post
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...04623691_n.jpg\

The upper bass here, the lines next to the bass horns, is cardiod. It sounds very good.
540619_227504810719901_304623691_n.jpg

Mmmmm, my wife would love that for the living room!
Old 2nd February 2013, 12:51 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

I think still that there is not a better sound then with horns, I want some time test that also, a tapped horn, then a basmid horn with the small fostex 8 inch speaker, not to big and big deep bass, only a tapped horn, I don,t now that sounds so good, much different outcomes here.

Nice stuff Pooh.

Hide this!Advertise here!