The speaker distortion trick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wanted to share a trick / modification that can reduce distortion of any (audiophile) speaker chassis that has a (ferrite) magnet.

Speakers have two pole pieces attached to a permanent (ferrite) magnet. One is located around the voice coil (usually attached to the speaker frame) and the other is located inside the voice coil (attached to the rear side of the magnet)

These two pole pieces are usually not electrically connected (multimeter shows a few Mega Ohms resistance) and this seems to be the cause for increased (dynamic) distortion. Ferrite magnets are electrical insulators so when a speaker has one of these installed the pole pieces are not electrically connected.

The modification consists of electrically connecting both pole-pieces together using a piece of wire, clamp or foil.

One pole piece is usually connected to the metal speaker frame and to the rivet that holds the speaker connection terminals.

The other pole piece is at the rear of the speaker (round disc).

One can easily solder a wire to the rivet and clean the metal disc on the rear of the speaker (file / sandpaper) and solder the other end of the wire to the edge of this disc using suitable soldering iron / soldering tip.

In multi-way speakers one has to repeat this mod for every speaker chassis (tweeter, midrange, woofer).

The effect of this mod can be tested during listening by placing a switch in series with the wire so one can connect / disconnect both pole pieces during listening.

The LTA is a wonderful driver. Not pretty to look at, but used right it's a real sleeper.
This user whole heatedly agrees - and it's cheap / strong enough to mess about with.

balerit:
I would guess so, having just plumbers caulked this area as part of basket damping, I'm going to have to go digging to get there......*sigh

I think I'll try this asap with some cheaper bass drivers I have around, it's quickly done and who knows...

a) Measure the voltage, if any, between the yokes with a very sensitive diff-amp.
b) Redundantly, connect the yokes with the lowest possible resistance and measure current, if any, with a precision current clamp.

I don't expect to see anything (the professional driver designers would certainly know this trick after some 100years of experience, me thinks), but who knows...

Then if there is something, multitone distortion testing of the driver's impedance would certainly show a difference (IME much clearer and more reliable than acoustical measurments).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.