diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   What kind of enclosure is this? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/221148-what-kind-enclosure.html)

sskloss 8th October 2012 01:03 PM

What kind of enclosure is this?

1 Attachment(s)
The illustration below is of a Toby Loudspeaker’s tower that I have had a pair of for ages. The only thing I am not sure of is the height and placement of the internal baffle. I cannot remember the model number, but I and a couple friends made a copy for each of us and have enjoyed them since 1989. To this day, I do not understand their operating principle. They are not ported (tuning would be too high) and not a true Transmission line either. They are, however, very efficient and can play solid down to 35Hz or so (driver Fs). The sound great with whatever mid-bass you put in them. We even ran 6x9 coaxials in a scrap pair and they were great – Toby did this as well I believe. What is the secret in the sauce?

Is it a 1/8 wave T-line? The fact that the port exit area is equal to the 8” mid-bass driver cone area, leads me to believe it is somewhere down that road. I could be completely wrong. I would like to see if the design is scalable and maybe for sub use. Anyone have any idea? It has been driving me nuts.

adason 8th October 2012 01:07 PM

its a bastard child of TL and BR

sskloss 8th October 2012 01:11 PM

Thanks for the reply, but you say it like it's a bad thing. Is it?

sskloss 8th October 2012 01:23 PM

Ok, I can see that. Without the portion trapped behind the baffle, the enclosure is about the right size for the driver in a BR configuration. So, in stead of being loaded with a port working on air mass, it uses a T-line to load it with a portion of the backwave? Very interested here.

tvrgeek 8th October 2012 01:41 PM

Subs are best done sealed. IMHO. They sound better to me and I don't have room for 500L boxes in my living room.

If you want to know how this box works, prototype one. Measure the impedance and response. Let us know.

Pano 8th October 2012 01:42 PM

Let's see if GM steps in. He'd know.
To me it looks like a BR with a very long port. :)

sskloss 8th October 2012 02:05 PM

I really like sealed myself, but the power requirements are on the high side for me. I'm on an efficiency kick at the moment. As for space, luckily I am not limited there. I have a storage room under the stairs to utilize and vent into the room. :)

Scottmoose 8th October 2012 02:48 PM

As far as I can see it's a BR with a very large vent, which will likely require some damping to attenuate its harmonic structure (unless you happen to like that sort of thing -a lot of Onken-fanciers do).

Jim Griffin 8th October 2012 07:35 PM

Toby Speakers of Fort Worth

Of course you can always call Toby and ask him. When I lived in the Fort Worth area I would visit his shop a few times a year to hear what new creations he had in work. An interesting dude and worth talking speakers with him.

Welcome to Toby Corp. of America

sskloss 8th October 2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Griffin (Post 3194085)
Of course you can always call Toby and ask him. When I lived in the Fort Worth area I would visit his shop a few times a year to hear what new creations he had in work. An interesting dude and worth talking speakers with him.

Welcome to Toby Corp. of America

I used to work just a mile or so from his shop and have also stopped in a few times for either parts or to see what was cookin’. Once, I actually did ask him about this and his answer was “Become an audio engineer and all will become clear.” This could be taken a couple of ways, but I chose to take it as encouragement to learn more about the hobby that I love. Have I learned enough for this to become clear? Obviously not. :D