What kind of enclosure is this? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2012, 11:23 AM   #11
sskloss is offline sskloss  United States
diyAudio Member

From the look of it, the 'port' looks to be a 1/16 wave t-line. ~20.5" length would be tuned to 41Hz or so. Would you even want such a thing? I am willing to experiment. Working on a spreadsheet to calc out an enclosure for my old JL 8" driver. I have it in a ported enclosure now that it sounds great in for comparison.
Old 9th October 2012, 01:49 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

This is what I have come up with so far. Basically, it is the same enclosure volume as my ported one with a folded T-line stuck on the back. The line length is ~24" with a constant mouth area of 32sqin. The design lends itself to a simple build. The wifey needs some shelves built, so while im making a mess....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JL8_BR-TL.jpg (57.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 9th October 2012, 02:06 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Ok, just received scottmoose's post. I fully understand now that a TL is a 1/4 wave no matter what. That makes sense. Please disregard the previous two posts.

Since it is just a BR enclosure with a large port, is there any rhyme or reason for the dimensions of the port? Was/Is there a specific frequency being targeted? How does the length vs. width come into play?
Old 9th October 2012, 05:27 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Scott deleted his previous post a minute or so after making it, but anyway, yes, just to confirm: a pipe that is sealed at one end and open at the other will always have a 1/4 wave fundamental. Period. You can set the length to a specific fraction of a given frequency, but it still possesses a 1/4 wave fundamental.

Leaving aside any esoteric aspects of the configuration, we're back to de rigure vented box math. Take your Vb, select duct CSA and appropriate length for that. You can work it out longhand, along with the 1/2 wavelength pipe resonances, or sim it in your choice of software -WinISD, Unibox, Hornrsp, Martin King's MathCAD software or whatever.
Old 9th October 2012, 06:14 PM   #15
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Its basically a bass reflex, but with the long port and matched dimensions of the lengths it will have a rather pronounced series of secondary peaks and dips at frequencies = c / (4 * n * 1.5 '), n= 1, 2, 3 ... c = 1100 ft / sec
Old 9th October 2012, 06:15 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Did it and see the light. Thanks for putting up with my ramblings. I guess I was wanting to see something that wasn't there.

Hide this!Advertise here!