The Golden Ratio of 1.618

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The primary difference between speakers and rooms is that an internal dimension of let's say 7" is going to come with standing waves that relate to a 7" wavelength. A normal room does not have standing waves at a 7" wavelength. So it is way more important to break up or absorb (Or both) the standing waves in the cabinet than to look for unrealistic room based ratios. Magnets and internal bracing are actually a good thing to combat this problem. Something similar to this;
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ail&A=showItemLargeImage&Q=&sku=437626&is=REG
would be awesome, internally.

Last edited:
I too don't care about room based ratios. I use absorbers, furniture, and bass traps. I don't have the luxury of building a room; where I do have the luxury of building speakers.

I have little belief fancy shaped diffuseness have any better performance than a piece of 1/8 ply gently bowed. But then again, I would prefer just a 4 inch thick slab of foam over 4 inch fancy convoluted cut foam. I find it works better. I stuff my sealed boxes with fiberglass and lightly stuff my ported boxes with Dacron. Seems to make take care of things well enough where other issues are more important.

Spreading internal resonances can yield a lower frequency bass reflex f3.

The greater amount of damping material needed to quiet the resonance of, say, a 1:1:1 cabinet (one big peak) vs one with golden ratios (3 smaller peaks) will result in greater resistive loss and a less efficient bass reflex enclosure.

Last edited:
The 0.6818:1:1.618 ratio yields a 2/3 octave spread between resonances, another common acoustic ratio (come on memory) of about 0.7937:1:1,2599? splits them up by right about 1/3 octave.

As for room ratios, why wouldn't you use a proven performance ratio? The low frequency performance of a small room is definitely ratio dependent, attempts to correct afterword is not only a compromise but it is expensive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.