Horn/TL combo

I have been mulling over where to go with my next speaker project. I have come fro pro multiway world and found my way to FR speakers as a result of the forum. I love FR, but they have their limitations. I will be exploring the AN 15 OB tied to woofer as an extension of that, but have also decided to go down the horn road as well. This is mainly due to Lynn's Beyond the Ariel thrad. Having not heard a horn system, I want to something a little cheaper than what he has arrived at, so I will be having to make some choices. ANy suggestions are appreciated, but what i was thinking was either a 12" or 15" pro woofer in a TL/MLTL, TQWT....whatever else of some sort, crossed to either a 1" or 1.4" Horn driver in either a JMLC or Iwata horn. I may try a cheap SEOS platic 12" since it is only $25 each as a first dive, but ulitimately will finish with a pure horn type. If I go Iwata, i may try DIYing them. Otherwise they will come from DiySoundgroup. THe HF drivers I am looking at are the new polymer ones from Faital Pro. THey are new and interesting and have been recommended by a fellow audio enthusiast. SOrry for the ramble. Be forewarned of many more like it:D

This is a pretty well tried design, been built in decent numbers in many places around the globe.

Easy to build, many suitable drivers, easily adaptable to 15" too.

QW1mkll.jpg

JBL 2226H can be run up to 2KHz if you wanted to. Make the horn as big as possible so you can cross as low as possible this will give you greater woofer options and the larger horn will hold polar control to as low as possible for better imaging. Just my two cents worth. Best regards Moray James.
A baffle to fit a 15" can also fit a wider (lower reaching) horn....

Looking at Faital Pro drivers. If i am going to spend money on JBL, it will be on Alnico 416B. Also looked at beyma, as they tend to have very good distortion numbers. Waiting on MJK sheets, as i lost my copy on computer. Been looking at jmlc 400, iwata 600, and e -jmlc. Ejmlc and iwata are kinda ugly. I like traditional Iwata horns betteur. Wait a second, i am not suppose to care how they look.
System will be biampedl at first, giving tim efor passive to develope.

@ZM
i know that devily grin.!

buzzforb said:
I have MJK's worksheet, and dont mind doing some legwork, but i was wandering what yo thought of the idea and if you had any pointers. I really dont want 20Hz bass, 40hZ bass that is clean and fast would be nice. I plan to mate to a big horn.

Well, with a low Qts and ~40 Hz Fs that’s about the best you can do with this driver.

How big a horn [HxWxD] and will it sit on top or in the cab? What is the desired horn and/or woofer centerline height? Will a high output impedance drive it? This will raise Qts/increase net Vb ideally required.

Have you started a thread? I prefer to respond on-line to these types of general interest Qs.

GM

buzzforb said:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/221111-horn-tl-combo.html
HAvent decided on the horn yet. THnking jmlc 400, Iwata of similar or lower tuning, or jbl like biradial. Thinking of Altec 288 for horn, super if needed. I am opent osuggestions on the compression drivers. Reason I like tl is dampeniong of resonance. I have listened to mutiple of Dave Onken's and just like the sound. Have heard Scottmooses Pensils and horns. Listenening height between horn and woofer is 32 to 40". I like this design, if you are wondering about size limitations.

Wardsweb DIY 3-way horns

So I assume tah for MLTL you want mid Qts driver with low Fs.

It needs enough Vas to allow a long enough cab to get good ¼ WL loading of the vent, i.e. if a T/S cab alignment calcs a long vent, then it’s better suited to a inverse tapered TQWT.

I prefer W.E./Altec, but I’m now decades out of date experience wise plus I prefer stacked dual 1” horn/driver combos to get the big driver’s ‘full’ mids and the smaller driver’s superior HF response, so best to browse the various forums, especially the H.E. ones.

FWIW, if I were in the market, I’d take a hard look at the 2 way compression drivers now available as a viable alternative to dual 1”.

OK, experiment with this one to find what might work good enough in room:

L = 40”
SO/SL = 267.84” [make width = horn width]
Zdriver = 8”-13.96” [depending on LP distance]
Rport = 6”-8”

GM