Horn/TL combo

I could be remembering wrong, but did GM suggest that horn loading of the woofer needs a big room. I am going to be sitting 10-12ft away.

For best overall performance, yes. At your distance you're still in the horn's near-field. Dual 15" and HF WG do better overall inside ~25-45 ft depending on horn flare/cut-off.

The Exemplar horns are more WG, so while a large room would still be ideal, they should sound more 'open' than an A7, etc..

Like I implied earlier, WGs are what's needed in most HIFI/HT apps, but the trade-off is they will tend to be large/deep and more expensive if a low XO point is used.

GM

For best overall performance, yes. At your distance you're still in the horn's near-field. Dual 15" and HF WG do better overall inside ~25-45 ft depending on horn flare/cut-off.

The Exemplar horns are more WG, so while a large room would still be ideal, they should sound more 'open' than an A7, etc..

Like I implied earlier, WGs are what's needed in most HIFI/HT apps, but the trade-off is they will tend to be large/deep and more expensive if a low XO point is used.

GM

Room is set up do that couch can be pushed back another 6-8ft, but if doing that, the room is starting to look like a barrel being 14' wide by 22'. Boxes seem to fit my room better than horn loaded woofers. Based soley on ignorance and others opinions combined with reading on the net

I wasn't saying looks had something to do with it, but speculating that in a long narrow room, continuing to back up further might not help because room reflections would come into play even more. The truth is, I could back up 25 feet from the speakers, but how many times would the sound waves bounce of the side walls, ceilings, and floors before getting to me.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
whatever you do , you'll end with some big honker in big tall TL box , with horn on top

one 15" per box will make your life easier

if you were satisfied with your present liliputan spks , that will be certainly more than enough

anything bigger than that will overload the room , meaning exactly what you wrote - that you'll need to back up more , to ensure blending of all drivers

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
we'll know more when you give us exact measured T/S , but I'm not expecting small boxes however ; what's dictating size is F3 and , combined with certainly not so low Vas ......

so - with 2 per side , it will go bigger than with one 15" , most probably , while I'm not expecting that solution significantly superior to one 15"

remind me ( yakyak , multitasking & multithreading , while I'm dumb ) where in thread are T/S for these JBLs ?

what I'm urging you all the time , is to go TQWT or MLTL ( whatever , I'm too dumb to differentiate them properly :clown: ) and leave plain BR for non-unitiated ones :rofl:

Last edited:
I wasn't saying looks had something to do with it, but speculating that in a long narrow room, continuing to back up further might not help because room reflections would come into play even more.

Again, speaker directivity [polar pattern] combined with proper toeing in and vertical height location limits these to a BW low enough to where they are down where our hearing acuity is falling off enough to not be an issue.

The closer you sit, the more you have to pull the speakers away from the side walls and the narrower the 'sweet spot' for a given speaker directivity.

Assuming you’ve chosen a ‘good enough’ directivity design for the speaker/LP ‘triangle’, worst case is you may need a nice thick area rug if you have a hard floor and maybe some decorative wall hangings near the speakers.

Whatever you do, don't have any reflective objects between the speakers and LP. I've auditioned/seen many otherwise properly done systems that were totally compromised by a coffee and/or end tables and/or a ‘lowboy’ front projector.

GM

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
buzz - not so bad results in same box I'm gonna use for my Tanns

NB that few details/dims are still missing on pic , but that's it in principle

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 157
  • 2.gif
    2.gif