Horn/TL combo

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Siberia,
I will post all specific info on my build. Should make a copy very easy to do.

@ZM,
DO you know of any software that could do the XO and use a multi output external dac feeding multiple amps?

AR2 is your man for asking these Q.

he break my head last summer in SF , and I didn't got it , what he was using

tip - now he's using sort of Bx xover in front of amps

tnx to personal Pa's help , while I was addressed just to mess things , as usual ;)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
keep it simple , for now

later experiment can you beat passive or Pass Bsomething

first step is to choose what for box and horn

then what as final for box and horn

then what as passive solution XO

then what for classic active solution XO

only then are you going to multichannel DAC and software XO

if you need versatility for start - buy DCX 2496 , it's cheap enough for both developing tool and even later - semiserious final solution

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
..... whatever you choose ..... :clown:

Attachments

• coyot a pult.jpg
    coyot a pult.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 202
Here is what my jig looks like. Mine is not as deep.
Routing begins tomorrow.
One thing I have already learned is when preparing laminated pieces of wood, you should cut decreasingly smaller forms so that when glued together, you have a stair step effect. Because i did not do this, I will have to eat away at top corner before getting jig in place for final form. BAsically reduces amount of material that has to be removed.

Second pic is a good idea for horn over single 15.

Attachments

• jan12 111.jpg
    jan12 111.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 193
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 179
Thats a blow :(

Could you cut a 10cm wide block to the horn contour, cut it into several equal slices, glue/screw them to a base in a fan. Then cut some ply petals and stick 'em over the resulting frame? (maybe even papier mache it)

big up for the effort though. I'll be buying in my horn. I'd to damn stupid to be let loose with a router :D

I sanded the top of my fingers down to the bone on a vertical sanding disc at school. Showed the teacher, who passed out. Had to walk myself to first aid.

Last edited:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
buzz,

I'm using a minidsp for my horns and there is a small noise issue, but nothing serious. Cheaper and niftier than a DCX if you ask me. You can measure on one hand and simultaneously change settings from the PC. Much easier and faster.

Final solution should be passive :)

I moving head in stubborn fashion. The jig problem is no big deal. I will work it out. Be gone most of next week, so will be a while.

@ZM, thanks for the link. Buidling it is the fun part and how I learn what little i learn.

@Ra7, tthanks for the info. Indeed it does seem like the easiest to manipulate. Ibam strongly considering it.

me too ;)

though I don't like to have edges right in front of the woofer :eek:
but sure, I know the fronthorn would otherwise be much bigger
only alternative could be a more shallow waveguide instead

but why would you need plans ? on the picture it looks pretty straightforward to me:D

The speaker evolved over a number of years and versions. However, if it's easy for you, that's great. Perhaps you'll publish the plans of your version?
I for one would appreciate it.
:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

From glancing at it, it seems different in that there are no straight sides and it doesn't vent to the front, possibly being sealed. I could be remembering wrong, but did GM suggest that horn loading of the woofer needs a big room. I am going to be sitting 10-12ft away. I was looking at a front loaded born setup the other day that used the 515-16g, I think. Seems like the ceramic versions. An get away with smaller boxes. There are some 515-16g on the bay, but they don't seem to do as well S the 8g version that GM recommended earlier. Won't get the 414's until Tuesday, so hopefully I can redo horn jig and get at least one done. Be nice to start working with real stuff

Last edited: