Horn/TL combo

It would look like this:

RLK15LargeWebview-1.jpg

The front part of floor in compression chamber has to be tilted down a bit and its 100mm wider than 12" version to avoid to hard compression in throat.

is that cat an approximation of open cell foam or a furry damping material?

Most of the time she´s an approximation of utter disaster.
But she´s heavily into speakers and other audio related stuff.

I love those cartoons. They were kinda violent though:D.
I will have a pair of 416's and 288's on doorstep this week, hopefully. Gota decide on super tweet and horn profile. May do DIY Iwata or JBL clone first. Gotta fier up speaker testing gear and finish B3-1/2 or buy Behringer. Little worried I may need more adjustability than B4 can offer in terms of XO. What's ZM up to?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
go for Iwata

think big - who cares for those little WG's :rofl:

I had a pair , sold it ...... but still have a pair of origigi 811B and pair of Iskra (better than origigi) 811B knock-off-s ............ they're just more fun to see , damped and lipp-ed :devily:

I'm up to cleaning workshop , and seeing my Yoda (and his prettier and cleverer other half ) tomorrow

so - stone bbq these days , with some nice wine

:)

GM,
Is the muliway you posted pictures of in the Pub of similar size to your MLTL for the 416? Its funny how chamfering the front corners cand reduce the appearance of size. It seems to me that the 4552 was an unnecessary expense in that build, considering the presence of the 288. I guess it could be argued that he didnt need the 288 with the 4552. Also, i can see how the 414 would perform nicely as a midbass, but doesnt this kind of waste the abilities of the 515 and 416. Was the idea to bump the XO for the horn above the majority of the vocal range.

Which one? Westend’s?

As you can see, his is somewhat larger and judging by the specs I used, they were probably measured ones, but don’t currently have access to my notes beyond the MathCad sim:

AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Altec MLTL with Model 19 drivers : “I will be using the Altec 811 horn and a Heil AMT1 tweeter on the top of the enclosure. The cabinet dimensions are 52 3/4" H x 30" W x 21" D, volume is 16 1/2 ft.^3.”

New project with GPA woofers-drivers : “The port is tuned to 32Hz. External dimensions are 700mm x 1150mm x 600mm. Internal volume for bass reflex is about 360 liters.”

“The crossover cutoff frequency are 200Hz, 800HZ and 10KHz.”

Yeah, the first example I recall seeing with a baffle slant cut was Harry Olson’s late ‘40s ‘reflex’ [original MLTL AFAIK], which was presumably a manufacturing cost compromise to the large round over popular back then for large ‘HIFI’ sets, Salon style speaker cabs.

Good RTR, CD, DVD, BD recordings can have sufficient HF to warrant a super tweeter with any 1” or larger compression horn and even with vinyl if a relatively wide ‘sweet spot’ is desired, so apparently Mike wanted his system to handle it all.

Yeah, at first glance, 200 Hz does seem a bit of a waste of a 515 or any really wide BW woofer, but it also allows plenty of XO overlap for best overall blending or ‘gapping’ them electrically [adding delay to the 414] to better align them on a flat baffle, though don’t know if he took advantage of it.

No clue why he XO’d to large format multi-cell at 800 Hz unless it had to do with maintaining a smooth off axis response and/or ‘gapping’ the XO points.

Anyway, I’ve published probably a dozen or more 416 series designs on the net since ’96 and many more in PMs with no ‘default’ alignment per se since the specs of OEM and re-cones have varied enough to require up to a ~40 ft^3 cab if driven with a matching impedance, though ~10–13 ft^3 has been popular as a compromise between LF extension/net bulk, with tuning usually being done by ear in room with familiar music.

GM

Attachments

• Olson MLTL.gif
    Olson MLTL.gif
    108.7 KB · Views: 283
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
nice
I'm ooking glad for ya ( more than for Big Cal , he's buying Altecs as peanuts :rofl: ) ;)

I resume that those 515B you can recone in whatever iteration you want

so , now , either bug GM for decent 515 cab , or make A7 with Hiraga xovers (probably needing serious subs then ) :devily:

oh boy , I'm so speakerholic ........ even if I have quadruple enough , it's never enough

I am getting the G version for peanuts. Plan to sell them to fund the B's, as they really are the most limited of the group, from what I have read. If I dont like the B's, will have no problem getting rid of them. Not doing the A7 thing. Looking for something a little more pleasing on the eye. I know i need big, gotta figure out how to make it pretty for the wife.

We love cutting.....up. I got 4 kids. Doctor took care of that:rofl:.

She asks me why i am smiling when reading your post. Tell her its wakoo serb friend.

On topic, i am think about 12- 14ft cab. May consider F2 or ACA with SS to drive this thing. CS amps seem to help in this general area interms of LF performance. I gotta lotto do. Unfortunately i csn only enjoy some wine fir the moment. Is 4:30 too early to start?

JRKO, i got a speak to recommend to you that is both good and chreap. Let me get a pair first:devilr: