Horn/TL combo

Yeah, i know, senile old mans stupid attemts at beeing funny, not only joke thou, i often feel it seems Yove forgotten Your inheritance.

The classic american drive units from "the golden age?" 50´s to early70´s can´t be bettered or improved upon, maybe in a technical context, but not as reproducers of music.
They were also, to a large extent, handcrafted, manually assembled by people taking pride in doing a perfect job.
So going back is a good choise, my best time was a long time ago, wouldn´t mind going back (just for a short dash thou, dont think i´d survive one ordinary fridays activities from 1972).

Looking backward in anticipation of what You end up with.

So. Time to dump the 2226. I cant see the 2236 conversion changing things greatly, but could be wrong. Let me know. That leaves me with 416, 515, and td15m. These all seem to fit the bill of the possiblity of good hifi SQ. Wife is not real keen on the Onken, says it looks short and fat. Women are funny about that sort of thing. What kind of enclosure are we looking at to get 40hz. I cant imagine needing more and I am not a bass junkie. Not saying I dont like it, but wouldn't trade speed and attack for sheer Lf extension. All the above drivers are similar, with exception of TD showing much lower Vas. It does have extremely loe Le, which should be nice for HF extension.
TD15m
AE Speakers --- Superb Quality, Unforgettable Performance, Definitely.

What kind of box size can I expect fomr above drivers for 40hZ -3dB ?

Do you still say 515, giving up low end for better mid?

Or build mid-bass horns. ;)

I can, the 2235 was JBL's 'answer' to all the tube era combo horn cab drivers that couldn’t handle the then new SS amp’s high power/hard clipping, ergo had a high enough Vas, low enough Fs, Qts to get good acoustic efficiency all the way down, so has GW posted any measured specs, plots yet?

If the ‘2236’ is a good choice, my only concern would be long term ability to be repaired in case of an ‘event’.

There’s also TAD, Beyma, Radian among others that make ~directly competing models. After all, plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery [road to profit].

Hmm, I started this the other day, but see you’ve bought some ‘flavor’ of 416, but would still choose the 515-8G if for no other reason than its Fs is close to ideal for the app’s desired BW, though for sure, I’m heavily biased towards the 515 series whenever it meets the needs of the app.

BTW, in a typical HIFI/HT app with a ~40 Hz-up tuning, the 515 doesn’t give up any noticeable LF output compared to the 416 due to both typically needing to blend to the room’s gain curve, so any LF advantage the 416 might have is otherwise unusable plus the 515 has a higher efficiency as well as a much greater HF BW [the originals anyway], though historically not marketed as such, so the ‘no-brainer’ choice for me if the more exotic offerings are beyond budget.

Which 416 BTW? Original or re-cone? If the latter, then specs tend to be a crapshoot WRT OEM specs even from GPA, so will need to be measured before considering and designs.

GM

I havent actually gotten the 416's yet. I am watching a pair of 416_A's without the cover. Shhhh. Reason I was hesitant on the 515 depends largely on its cost and the fact that I cant seem to find any use except for a A7 type box. I can hear the wife laughing now. I come from geetar family, so I have a bit of an affinity for Alnico magnets. The 515's are $1000. Just cant do that considering all that is left to be bought.

There is a good possibilty that i will end up with a pair, bur the 416 is a step in. Big Cal has suggested that the 421 is his favorite Altec for mids. This a very inexpensive entry pount as well. I think that they can be reconed as a 416, but cant quite get my head around the change.

Reason I was hesitant on the 515 depends largely on its cost and the fact that I cant seem to find any use except for a A7 type box.

It was marketed for horns, so A7, A4, etc., but works fine in a vented alignment also. This ~8.94 ft^3 net MLTL based on the 40” internal height of the 2226 sim doesn’t look too shabby to me once the room’s gain is added and unless driven with a high output impedance or at high average power, I doubt you can hear a difference between AlNiCo and ceramic:

GM

Attachments

• Altec 515-8G 37 Hz MLTL [measured].gif
    Altec 515-8G 37 Hz MLTL [measured].gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 287
Big Cal has suggested that the 421 is his favorite Altec for mids. I think that they can be reconed as a 416, but cant quite get my head around the change.

I’ve kept a ~NIB pair of 1st edition 421-8H for just this reason, but these go non-linear like right now, so strictly for low power [~50 W] in HIFI/HT apps, though can still do near THX, etc. LFE reference down to 80 Hz, so still plenty loud.

There’s been some threads on this subject on the Altec and probably on the Lansing and Audiokarma forums also.

GM

Considering that it will be a customm build, I think I will try to go with a design specific to this woofer. GM designed an MLTL for it in another thread and that's where the idea came from. I like the idea of as big a box as I can get away with. As long as I can keep the proportions acceptable, I can get away with a big box. Got a small 6 cubic feet job in the house right now that the wife doesn even flinch at.

Withot being able to see the inside of the cabinet, this desing sorta resembles the Pensil's by Scottmoose. He call them a resonant air coupler. I would expect a horn like path inside, but there is noting of the sort. What turns it int the a TL, the port? Everything I have read about TL's is that they have to do with quarter wavelength, which increases the lower you wish to tune. A TQWT can shorten this path by using a narowing line. Is this what the squaer port is doing?