Horn/TL combo

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yup AE is certainly nice - tricks used to bioth have high power capability , and low Le are way over my head

Sonido - somewhat medium Le for 15" , but certainly low Mms for 15"

knowing their drivers from first hand experience - their cones are just plain magic ..... surround and spider are on par with cone ...

observe one fact - you can hardly find data for power capacity of their drivers :clown:

edit: interesting driver for you : http://www.eminence.com/pdf/DeltaliteII_2515.pdf

disclaimer - didn't make any sim with it

Last edited:
yup AE is certainly nice - tricks used to bioth have high power capability , and low Le are way over my head

Sonido - somewhat medium Le for 15" , but certainly low Mms for 15"

knowing their drivers from first hand experience - their cones are just plain magic ..... surround and spider are on par with cone ...

observe one fact - you can hardly find data for power capacity of their drivers :clown:

edit: interesting driver for you : http://www.eminence.com/pdf/DeltaliteII_2515.pdf

Ra7 likes them in his OB. I will try aforementioned drivers first. Oh well, guess time to stop theory and begin something real. Tahnks again for the time, friend.

Cant go wrong with this.
http://www.audiovintage.fr/leforum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=16799&start=10
scroll down

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
just go for it

wood is cheap , time is not

so - when you spend time on that with joy , everything is as needs to be :rofl:

so - Craigs and Fleabay are places to look - when buying cheaper , you can try different things

regarding converting drivers - dunno , I'm cheapskate :clown:

Altec horns - I like them , when buried in crate with sand

http://tinyurl.com/8u3utc5

Last edited:
THanks GM. I read last night that you suggest tqwt for drivers with Qts<.4, MLTL~.4, and horn>.4, in general. Is this stil true? Do you also suggest to tuning to Fs. I have seen some suggest tuning higher.

You’re welcome!

Yes.

Depends. If it’s a high output impedance system, then for best overall bass performance a Fs tuning is required.

If you look at T/S specs design, then Fb = Fs happens at a ~ 0.4 Qts with higher tunings for decreasing Qts and lower tunings with increasing Qts.

So normally, the 2226H would require a TQWT tuned somewhat higher than Fs if driven with a very low output impedance [typical SS amp].

Since you wanted performance all the way to Fs in a MLTL, I just arbitrarily calculated based on a 0.403 Qts to get a Vb = Vas, Fb = Fs tuning to get you started.

GM

Neither is Alnico, which is big draw of Altec, from what I have read. Otherwise nothing.

AlNiCo euphonically distorts in a more pleasing manner than ceramic when pushed hard, but at HIFI/HT levels it's a moot point unless you tune them really low or drive them with flea power.

I like the 2226 for compression mid-bass, but for your app, the Altec/GPA 515-8G is the bang/buck choice of the two for me, with the trade-off being a larger cab due to its higher Vas that for the most part gives it the performance edge.

GM

...snip...

I used the Deltalite 2512, and if the motors are similar (with the 2515) there is nothing "special or up-to-date" about them. The 2512 was a good entry point, a "proof of concept". It is little more than a guitar speaker. I am moving on.
I am building a pair of GM's dubbed "2236".

buzz, if I go too far off topic just slap me around. I'll try to be-have.

Last edited:
is 908 the one that can be converted to 288? Or is it 902. Ill have to ask Pano. What you think about the ALtec horns?

902. The 800-900 series is a 1” exit ‘small format’ driver whereas the 200-300 series is a 1.4” exit ‘large format’, so no converting going on between the two series AFAIK.

All Altec horns were designed for specific prosound apps, so while they can be quite entertaining, they are all easily bested SQ wise by any competently designed WG. Where efficiency is paramount though, the large sectoral and multi-cell series are hard to beat once dampened if driven with either a high output impedance and/or optimized with CD horn EQ.

GM

Ed is talking about Gordon W, who puts a 2242 voice coil and 2235 diaghram into 2226 frame. It lowers Le as well as Fs, and gives you top end of 2226, with bottom end of 2235.
GM,
i will be driving these with SS amps, some of which could have higher Df, some not.

Did some more looking, abd found some folks using basshirns for these drivers. Are they more suited for that type enclosure? Isnt tqwt a horn in reverse.

Asfor the compression drivers, i bekieve it is the 290 that can be fitted with a 288 diapghram.

515 vs 2226. Whay would explain your affection for 515? Is it indeed the lighter cone, as ZM suggest? That is the major difference in the two drivers. With the conversion of the 2226, both Le and cone weight are taken lower. It sounds like it takes the driver towards a motre altec like tuning. Ill post link to thread. Thanks again ...everyone.

One more thing, i didnt get the usual GM, "Greets" opener. I chuckle when i read old post and you always open with, Geets. Thinking that some dr humor:D