Horn/TL combo

BTW, my wife approved all ideas included, saying anything finished is better than what I got:rofl:

Just take the barcode sticker off the right hand speaker and its finished :D

I'm a bit lost buzzforb (and not for the first time). You have 2 windows - which one is going? I'm guessing the end window. How wide and deep is the fireplace going to be?

I'm not an expert on design but I've had a few BIG speakers. Your room looks wider than mine and I had/have my very big (10cuFt but not vented/ported) speakers, my Emkens (front vented) and a pair of Tannoy Berkeley 15" DC's (front ports) near the corners, toed in & firing down the length of the room and the sound was great each time.

Personally I'd go either side of the fireplace (assuming the window at the end of the room is being replaced and you're not building the fireplace to roast entire pigs in!) firing down the room. No furniture on sidewalls close to the speakers that will mess up wall reflections. I've been told a ceiling fan is great at breaking up the flat, reflective ceiling and even changes the sound from stationary to its lowest setting :confused:

thats my paltry :2c:

I think you're gonna have to measure the room for best answers though ;)

Last edited:
The window at the end of the room is going. THat wall is 14' long. The side walls are 16' long and behind is open to another 20'. The fireplace wil be about a 3 of the size of the wall and will be desinged to be helpfulin room issues, if possible, I am going to do decorative acoutic panels on the right side wall and left will just be problematic. THe walls will stay pretty clear and anything there will be easily movable. The couch will be on sliders, so room is fully adjustable. Just putting up a fireplace got me all that:D

Here are the two horns I will be trying. First is bigger horn suited for the side by side cabinet. I wll expand it just slightly and probably use a circle of greater circumferencee. to straighten the front lips.

Wood Horn

Here is the smaller of the two. It will go in the single woofer version, consisting of either Altec 515g or c or AE TD15m. AE is much cleaner in respects to distortion, but we are back at the 2226 type speaker that may like a lot of power, as it is rated for 500W. It has much lighter cone and non existent Le, but it remains to be seen what is important.
We'll see, I guess.

Handicraft for Wood Horn

I am not getting the woofers until next week and the 288's should be here Wednesday. May try and have a horn ready when they get here. Thanks for dropping in.

Just putting up a fireplace got me all that:D

That sounds like a deal - spousal approval AND an open fire to play with!!!!

the 288's should be here Wednesday. May try and have a horn ready when they get here

Both horns look beautiful in the blockwood used and I'm jealous of you for having the skills to DIY. That first one is a bit of a monster. Its got to weigh 50-60lb with a 288 on the back :eek: BTW what are you going to use for top fill with the 288?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I enjoyed some of the pics. He seems so sophisticated. Looks like Eastern Euopean James Bond:D or Dos Equis guy. Where did you guys meet, University or work?

that sophisticated guy is ,in fact, our Manu , reincarnation of Pink Panther* in this (broader) area

we met - where else - than here .....

;)

* think this one : Pink Panther - Gymnasium Reum - YouTube

I am most likely going to use a router jig over a hand plane. Been thinking about how to have smooth contour in corners joints. May have some ideas that i will try. This will allow round hole at entry to continue as smooth transition vs changing to 90 degree sides. Got one size partially laid out already.

buzz,

maybe...a profile track swung about the pivot point...?...with a stylus that bears upon the side profile...?...do most of the stock removal with a surfacing bit...?...and switch to cove bit along the edges...?...leave a shoulder at the top of the cove along the edges of the top & bottom pieces...?...inset the curved sides to cover the shoulder?...:confused:

Ah!. Thought I sent a second in email form. May not have worked.

I know you have stated that getting new from GPA is easier than messing with older drivers that made need work. I dont disagree at all. I simply went this route as it allowed me to try something for a great deal less than new. The side by side double will use the 414's, unless you think the MTM setup is better for my room. I buoght a pair of JBL Le15a's in good shape off a local guy that I will put into the single woofer version. Based on what i hear, I will decide where to go from there. This is really a step into nerw territory for me, SO i have to decide if I even like the concept. I will measure all the drivers and post info. I have been playing with WinIsd and Unibox for all the above drivers as well as the ALtec 515 and got what seems to be very usable reponses, especially considering EQ. Working on wooden horn layout today and trying to flesh that out. Any opinions on which dual driver setup to use, considering my room?

I have decide to do first draft of horns in MDF. IT will help me work out my kinks and try some ideas for cheap. THought about normal framing wood, but MDF is ore consistent.
I have more motivation now.

Dman these things are huge.

Attachments

• DSC_0093.JPG
    DSC_0093.JPG
    733.6 KB · Views: 187