Horn/TL combo

GM,
What you think about a dual 414 enclosure? Should I do .5 way and use sewcond driver to compensate for baffle step, or parallel them and use EQ to bring them up, gaining efficiency?

I like them a lot.

Depends on the driver’s specs and where in the room they will be placed since the 414’s varies at least as much the 416’s, if not worse since so many were sold. Then there’s how much output impedance they will ‘feel’.

Historically, I’ve placed speakers against a wall or near/at a corner and made them acoustically efficient as practical, so a 0.5 way doesn’t make a lot of sense in these apps; plus, in today’s digital world, building in plenty of acoustic efficiency and response shaping downward [not upward] to a lower distortion still seems the proper design path, so ideally a 0.5 would only be used as LF fill to better blend to a sub system.

GM

Bummer, dual woofers with horns are best done either horizontally or MTM unless you either sit very far away or XO low [< ~150 Hz] to a huge horn.

GM

I am thinking 24" is max width, but it depends on execution of design. Mine will be in the corner, as i am rearranging entire living room for their presence. I am actually converting a window into a fireplace, so a false wall crossed my mind, just cant see pulling it off. Mtm is doable if a jbl k2 look is used. I will try and upload room layout.

Side note, i found pic of certain someone stading beside a dual 515 mltl with 511 horn on top:D

OK. Got design approval from boss man for any of these three designs. Question is, which one is best suited for the Altec414a's I have coming. I know the box size may need to change, but it should be doable. I am thinking the bigger Altec's and TD15m are th eonly shot in the single woofer setup. The dual version, either mtm or side by side, for the 515 and 414. Since i have the 414's, that is where we will begin. Since i am gonig to need all I can get in termsof LF help from 414's, I have stuff to buld F1J. I do not want flabby bass and will happily exchange extension quicker tighter cleaner ***. NO FLOB.

Calling GM, INgvar, and ZM.

BTW, my wife approved all ideas included, saying anything finished is better than what I got:rofl:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 185
  • images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 190
  • images (2).jpg
    images (2).jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 189
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
no WWT :confused: would be great for 2.5way

but dont these woofers need minimum 150-200 liter, each
did you try to calculate how much it really is ?

but if you listen close range, like 3 meter or so, then you dont want it very tall
the big WTW(MTM) look almost like a dance hall thing

GM suggested that .5 wya was less desireable than gained efficiency. I can see the point. I will be actively driving these, at least at first, so no prolem shaping the response. Working on horn profile right now. Horizontal plane(platters) will be either tractric or jmlc and vertical(sides) will be octoral or exponential. Got more reading to do.

PLaying with unibox, dual 414's in a 150ltr box and series R of 1.5 ohm has an F3 of about 46hZ. 200ltr box with series R of 2, has a F3 of 41Hz. Sound reasonable. Both have nasty little spike impedance spike at 65Hz.

What do you think?

How can we deal with that impedance peak at 65?

I am kinda lost on MArtin's worksheets

Here is a pic of the room. I figured it would help in making decisions about which path to take. Looking for more experienced opinions here concerning placement. We are shifting everything this way. THe window is going and a fireplace is going in. The pic inlcudes two sub boxes with 12" subs to give a scope. The cabinet is about 27" wide. Have to decide if the which box style will work best in room. I wonder if the side by side is going tobe too big or cause reflection issues.

Post 148 has the options of speaker layout. May not be exact, but going for similir look.

Attachments

• DSC_0099.JPG
    DSC_0099.JPG
    766.3 KB · Views: 205
Last edited: