Horn/TL combo - Page 44 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2012, 12:39 AM   #431
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't recall you listing any max LxWxD limitations based on local conditions, but sounds like whatever it is, it is what it is WRT available net Vb and if they will be used both near and away from room boundaries, then youíll need two sets of EQ settings to maintain some semblance of balance between the two.

WRT guitar amps, you didnít hear any real bass out of them, just very strong mid-bass, though backed into a corner to create a pseudo corner horn can be sufficient for most consumer musical recordings. Do you have two good corners available?

GM
Old 6th December 2012, 12:43 AM   #432
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
I bet I can replace a gutter better than you ......Although I dont know if that is something to brag about.
Define 'better'. I do a pretty good job, but I'm slow as Christmas nowadays. I've been dinking with it off n' on for a couple of months now.

GM
Old 6th December 2012, 01:11 AM   #433
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
I didn't said that you're against them (slot openings) , but I understood that with square one I'll need less tweaks later

or - in other words , no need for test boxes
Square? For the life of me I can't recall recommending them. Round, yes, since they can be easily slid in and out for trying different lengths, though it needs some blu-tak or similar to temporarily seal them.

GM
Old 6th December 2012, 10:45 AM   #434
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
I don't recall you listing any max LxWxD limitations based on local conditions, but sounds like whatever it is, it is what it is WRT available net Vb and if they will be used both near and away from room boundaries, then youíll need two sets of EQ settings to maintain some semblance of balance between the two.

WRT guitar amps, you didnít hear any real bass out of them, just very strong mid-bass, though backed into a corner to create a pseudo corner horn can be sufficient for most consumer musical recordings. Do you have two good corners available?

GM

As for local limitations, I really need to keep it visually reasonable. Based on past conversations, it would seem that a vertical driver position of 32" will help with room modes(1/3rds and fifths). They will be in the corner of a room that is 14' x 32', but i will be sitting about 16' from the wall. That makes listening position about 10-12'. The speakers should end up about the same distance apart being in the corners of the room. The bigger they get, the more pulling them out becomes a problem(although i will haev the possiblity of sliding seating postition back). I have been playing with 20" x 28.8" x 40". This is getting to the max height wise, considering that these are internal dimensions. Wider and deeper are possible in limited degrees, only because I cant have a fridge and would like to keep attractive proportions.

I played with the software some more last night and cam to realize that it is practically impossible to get a non BR response from a cabinet unless it is Vb ~ Vas. This is assuming mass loading and traditional rectangular shape. If i model a tall expanding tqwt and not fold it, things change.

Just interested in opinions. I would like to see the inside of the MLTL that you designed for the 416 that is linked earlier in the thread. I am getting tired of modeling. Saw finger is getting itchy. I will comfort myself with the horns for now.
Old 6th December 2012, 10:50 AM   #435
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Define 'better'. I do a pretty good job, but I'm slow as Christmas nowadays. I've been dinking with it off n' on for a couple of months now.

GM
Better
Old 9th December 2012, 12:36 PM   #436
diyAudio Member

So i have pretty much decided on a size and have just a few follow up questions.

Would have curved sides eliminate the need for high width/depth aspect ratio? Right now, looking at 42,28,20-24.

Time alignment is going to be an issue, but i think it is solvable. If i move the driver halfway down the baffle, i get a superior response in almost every way, but the will create phase issues correct? Ideally, dont we want the drivers within a quaterwave length, verticslly at the xover point?
Old 9th December 2012, 01:16 PM   #437
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
...snip...

Time alignment is going to be an issue, but i think it is solvable. If i move the driver halfway down the baffle, i get a superior response in almost every way, but the will create phase issues correct? Ideally, dont we want the drivers within a quaterwave length, verticslly at the xover point?
Vertical separation between the drivers results in vertical lobing in the response. Keeping the drivers as close as practical reduces this.

Can you post a side view (cut-away) for the enclosure you are considering?

The response lobe may be "aimed" by adjusting the acoustic centers of the drivers axially with respect to each other. If you move the CD/horn combination forward, the lobe shifts down...and vice versa.
Old 9th December 2012, 01:29 PM   #438
diyAudio Member

THanks Ed. THat is what I was assuming. My cabinet is going to look very similar to the one here. I will have a pocket included like he has that will allow me to slip the A290 horn in. THe cabinet in the picture is 47 x 25 x 24. Mine will end up being like his, but about 52" tall, and a little wider, and maybe not as deep. Appx final enclosure size will be about 14ft^3

Wardsweb DIY 3-way horns
Old 10th December 2012, 09:24 PM   #439
diyAudio Member

Here is a view of my proposed enclosure. Still BR, unfortunately, as I hae yet to model a decnt anything else.

Showing two views. One with driver up in box and at 1/3 of room height. The other with driver at 1/2 bo and 1/5 room height. It is interesting how moving the driver to the middle as GM spoke of, affected the performance. It would seem like the same response, but the acoustical impedance and port pressure are quite dfferent. It would be interesting to hear the difference. unfortunately the middle position would create other issues. I am moving forward with this unless someone has any suggested changes.
Old 12th December 2012, 07:15 PM   #440
diyAudio Member

Realized that I didnt attach the latest sims.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Altec 1.5 High.doc (135.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: doc Altec 1.5 Middle.doc (98.0 KB, 13 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!