Horn/TL combo - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2012, 09:09 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

gonna post this in PuB. This is my kind of political debate
Bad Lip Reading - YouTube
Old 20th October 2012, 02:09 AM   #32
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post

Rport = 6”-8”
edit: This should be 3"-4" radius. I use BoxPlot to choose vent size, which lists its diameter.

GM
Old 20th October 2012, 04:02 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
THanks GM. I read last night that you suggest tqwt for drivers with Qts<.4, MLTL~.4, and horn>.4, in general. Is this stil true? Do you also suggest to tuning to Fs. I have seen some suggest tuning higher.
You’re welcome!

Yes.

Depends. If it’s a high output impedance system, then for best overall bass performance a Fs tuning is required.

If you look at T/S specs design, then Fb = Fs happens at a ~ 0.4 Qts with higher tunings for decreasing Qts and lower tunings with increasing Qts.

So normally, the 2226H would require a TQWT tuned somewhat higher than Fs if driven with a very low output impedance [typical SS amp].

Since you wanted performance all the way to Fs in a MLTL, I just arbitrarily calculated based on a 0.403 Qts to get a Vb = Vas, Fb = Fs tuning to get you started.

GM
Old 20th October 2012, 05:51 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Neither is Alnico, which is big draw of Altec, from what I have read. Otherwise nothing.
AlNiCo euphonically distorts in a more pleasing manner than ceramic when pushed hard, but at HIFI/HT levels it's a moot point unless you tune them really low or drive them with flea power.

I like the 2226 for compression mid-bass, but for your app, the Altec/GPA 515-8G is the bang/buck choice of the two for me, with the trade-off being a larger cab due to its higher Vas that for the most part gives it the performance edge.

GM
Old 20th October 2012, 06:06 AM   #35
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
...snip...

edit: interesting driver for you : http://www.eminence.com/pdf/DeltaliteII_2515.pdf

disclaimer - didn't make any sim with it
I used the Deltalite 2512, and if the motors are similar (with the 2515) there is nothing "special or up-to-date" about them. The 2512 was a good entry point, a "proof of concept". It is little more than a guitar speaker. I am moving on.
I am building a pair of GM's dubbed "2236".

buzz, if I go too far off topic just slap me around. I'll try to be-have.

Last edited by Ed LaFontaine; 20th October 2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 20th October 2012, 06:15 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Mms numbers on ALtec are hard to come by. Based on above TD15M looks pretty nice.
Mms can be accurately calculated from measured specs. For the Altec/GPA 515-8G, Mms = 55.015 gr, Le = 1.499 mH [avg. 4]

GM
Old 20th October 2012, 06:35 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
is 908 the one that can be converted to 288? Or is it 902. Ill have to ask Pano. What you think about the ALtec horns?
902. The 800-900 series is a 1” exit ‘small format’ driver whereas the 200-300 series is a 1.4” exit ‘large format’, so no converting going on between the two series AFAIK.

All Altec horns were designed for specific prosound apps, so while they can be quite entertaining, they are all easily bested SQ wise by any competently designed WG. Where efficiency is paramount though, the large sectoral and multi-cell series are hard to beat once dampened if driven with either a high output impedance and/or optimized with CD horn EQ.

GM
Old 20th October 2012, 06:36 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed LaFontaine View Post
I am building a pair of GM's dubbed "2236".
??? Please refresh my memory.

GM
Old 20th October 2012, 08:33 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Ed is talking about Gordon W, who puts a 2242 voice coil and 2235 diaghram into 2226 frame. It lowers Le as well as Fs, and gives you top end of 2226, with bottom end of 2235.
GM,
i will be driving these with SS amps, some of which could have higher Df, some not.

Did some more looking, abd found some folks using basshirns for these drivers. Are they more suited for that type enclosure? Isnt tqwt a horn in reverse.

Asfor the compression drivers, i bekieve it is the 290 that can be fitted with a 288 diapghram.

515 vs 2226. Whay would explain your affection for 515? Is it indeed the lighter cone, as ZM suggest? That is the major difference in the two drivers. With the conversion of the 2226, both Le and cone weight are taken lower. It sounds like it takes the driver towards a motre altec like tuning. Ill post link to thread. Thanks again ...everyone.

One more thing, i didnt get the usual GM, "Greets" opener. I chuckle when i read old post and you always open with, Geets. Thinking that some dr humor
Old 20th October 2012, 12:10 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Lets say I have no specific type of enclosure i want. What is the ideal enclosure for this box? How will adding active bass boost affect performance? Lastly, Should I build an optimized enclosre then adjust to room, or biuld to room?

Hide this!Advertise here!