Horn/TL combo - Page 24 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2012, 12:42 AM   #231
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Since these will be corner loaded and DIYed, I'm wondering why 90x40 conical WGs aren't being made.

GM
Old 3rd November 2012, 12:51 AM   #232
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
GM,
looking back, i think you made the above statement regarding the 2226h, whiich is out of play. My apologies.
No problemo. Yeah, the 2226 is an old school HE horn driver, so a [ML]TQWT is a good option with some reflex tunings.

GM
Old 3rd November 2012, 01:07 AM   #233
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Since these will be corner loaded and DIYed, I'm wondering why 90x40 conical WGs aren't being made.

GM
Pic of suggested horn, if you dont mind

As for corner loading, they don't have to be, but it is an option if it helps. The speakers natural placement will be in the corners, but most likely pulled out some.
Old 3rd November 2012, 06:24 AM   #234
diyAudio Member

Well, I use to point to the PiAlign one as an example, but I can't find it now except for a small head on pic. Basically it's just a large extension of the corner with an adapter and driver attached.

So you're not going to build triangular cabs?

GM
Old 3rd November 2012, 11:02 AM   #235
diyAudio Member

The dual woofer jbl is a triangular cab shape and so is the corner horn, but i am not locking myself into a shspe for nonother reason than cab volume. Ihave simply thrown out some ideas avout cab shape and look. Great thing about corner horn shape is that it is not limited to corner and moore sleek looking than square box. Whatever i build, it will probably slope back in one way or another, just for appearance. Lickily it has a beneficial acoustic effect in terms of diffraction. I was looking at a jbl h9800 horn clone last night. Not much specific info availavble,just spics. I have the iwata 290 drawn and it is very similar to a 90x40 horn you suggest. It is almosr wide enough to put dual 12" woofers under, @ 24". I will begin, if not finish, one of those today. Hopefully i can mount and begin testing the acoustic response tomorrow
Old 3rd November 2012, 11:23 AM   #236
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

just an idea - sell all bass drivers , search for Grines (?) Eminence for Klipsch , buy a pair and make Klipsch Horn bass cabs

put 288's in woodie horns , put them on top , xover at 350-400 and bingo

all that considering that space & WAF are limiting factors

feed comp. driver with any flea , connect F4 as buffer for bass
Old 3rd November 2012, 02:10 PM   #237
Siberia is offline Siberia  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Thrrread Hijack! .

Just kiddin', but I'm holdin' myself.
Same story here. Reading Lynn Olson thread, makes me dream like a kid of similar combos here discussed. First, because it opens possibilities to switch to tube amps and first watts. Second, in my ex-industrial (40m squares) skyhigh (H:4.5m) room some nice constant directivity would help. I'm following closely all the suggestions. And I don't have a WAF to consider! Lots of space and my GF causes more chaos with her tools than me anyway And she's a music lover.

What's differs me from Buzzforb and helps to sit still is that I've never built a speaker or similar. Lots of knowledge is left to gain. So most probably I'll start with a pair of Econowave. Though, if there's some well documented project on my way in similar vein, I'm more than happy to learn.

Good luck, buzzforb. Cheers, ZM & GM.
Old 3rd November 2012, 03:54 PM   #238
diyAudio Member

Siberia,
I will post all specific info on my build. Should make a copy very easy to do.

@ZM,
DO you know of any software that could do the XO and use a multi output external dac feeding multiple amps?
Old 3rd November 2012, 03:59 PM   #239
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Thanks Ingvar.
Will look very similar, probably, with the exception of the horn sitting on top vs integrated into the cabinet. I am worried about how far up a 15" can reach effectively. We will see.
I am also rambling in this venue and direction.

Don't worry too much. I found a nice article that states that the cross-over should be at the place where the two divers have the same beaming, so a 15 incher might beam a lot at 1 kHz but that is actually very good for a good transition.
see High-Fidelity Uniform-Directivity Loudspeakers, page 14, states:
Quote:
Both woofer and tweeter horn have to be 12 to 15 diameter to match directivity at the 1kHz crossover point. That makes the absolute minimum center-to-center dimension be at least 12 and more likely 15 to 18, which puts the null angle right in the middle of the pattern.
That is counterintuitive to me (I thought to go for the lowest cross-over for big subs) but makes sense the way they explain it. It depends on the size of the mid horn. Quite a lot will allow a cross-over at 800-1.000 Hz and have the big horn mouth corresponding to the sub.

In my domestic setting (very big room, 40 feet) my ESL57's are too small, the reason I too am shopping for horns.
albert
Old 3rd November 2012, 04:24 PM   #240
diyAudio Member

I have Iwata 290's on the cutting board. THey come out at about 24" wide. I plan to put them over dual altec 414's. I am using the aLtec 288-16k as the driver. Crossover poit will be very adjustable based extension of both drivers, but l have read many times that your suggestion of crossing where directivity matches, is the way to go. If all goes as plan, the 288's will be in mounted on the horn tomorrow. Whether to go dual 414' or single 15", like 416 or 515, is also on the table.

Hide this!Advertise here!