Horn/TL combo

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have read that quite a few folks like the 515G the best of all Altec's. We will see. I have quite a few drivers to try.

True they do. But in the end, like ZenMod suggested earlier, I stuck with the 416 8C. The only thing I found them better for was selling, better market. At the Time GM advised opposite, I claimed more LF extension, he said, and no doubt right, I just needed equalization. I went simpler route, sold 515 8G and kept 416 8c. They all sound good, just my A7 boxes were so big, adding giant subs just seemed redundant. So I left A7s to basement system, built Econowaves with JBL bass and box, B&C compression on top. Never looked back, although this is tickling my interest again! Continue!

Russellc

Try 1 and Try 2. Will not use either, probably. More about getting jig straightened out and the routine working smoothly. Now feel much better about how to go about it, so I will start on actual horn.

Attachments

• DSC_0100.JPG
    DSC_0100.JPG
    658.1 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC_0101.JPG
    DSC_0101.JPG
    751.8 KB · Views: 204
Conventional wisdom says to make it at the average seated ear height, but room height is no different than width or depth WRT Eigenmodes, so if 3rds, 5ths are appropriate for the LP location, then doesn't it seem reasonable that the same would apply to a speaker's vertical acoustic center?

GM

'Odd' is good.

Yep, 3rds, 5ths are most common positions, though recent changes in THX, DD True HD reference LP, speaker system locations may require using higher orders in reference HT apps.

So many folks today sit way too far away from HD systems to get the full benefit of the high resolution available, especially WRT 1080P displays and now there's 4k and higher being developed. Great if you have a small cinema size screen or watch movies < a crooked arm's length away from a computer monitor, but otherwise?

GM

Great if you have a small cinema size screen or watch movies < a crooked arm's length away from a computer monitor, but otherwise?

My big beef with HD is it essentially asks people to replace their TV's with already outdated picture quality (1080x1920 soooo last decade) all the time masking the fact that TV programming has gone down the drain and 'blockbusters' are HD drivel with CGI for brains

mmmmmm - thats why we build BIGA$$ speakers!!!

When do your drivers arrive buzzforb? What problems where you having on the audioheritage site?

James