Horn/TL combo

ZM,
I didnt see you had posted the pic of the 210. in brochure, they have it standing up, which i guess wouldnt work, considering its design. Fun it is.

JRKO,
Passive is defintely cheaper, but not as capable in simple form as dsp. I havent made that decision yet, but would probably go minidsp, as I have heard it is more favored than DQX2496. I tihnk the Behringer can be good, but needs mods, and i want to spend time on speaks, not crossover.

Before considering MTM, please read/absorb/'wrap your mind around' what's in this article first: Biro Technology

Did you account for the increase in Qts the Pass amp's output impedance will cause? If not, you may get that 'flabby' bass you can't tolerate without mucho vent damping.

For best overall performance, woofer choices depend on the HF horn's directivity and XO point/slope.

GM

GM, I will be building the the SS version of F1 and F2 to see about working around Zout issue. Amps I am more comfrortable with and can work around, plus i got a ZM:D

Before considering MTM, please read/absorb/'wrap your mind around' what's in this article first: Biro Technology

Did you account for the increase in Qts the Pass amp's output impedance will cause? If not, you may get that 'flabby' bass you can't tolerate without mucho vent damping.

For best overall performance, woofer choices depend on the HF horn's directivity and XO point/slope.

GM

GM,
From the reading, I can see why one may hesitate to go the MTM route. What should be expect from a side by side and is this a reason to go with a single woofer? In those results, are we talking acoustic or electrical interaction? I noticed you had a pic of WWT MLTL, using 515b's, I believe. I would assume that configuration has its own drawbacks. THen again, EVeryone says it is all about tradeoffs.

This looked like best config in unibox for single Altec 414.
Will have to use brick wall filter down low, as it exceeds xmax in mid 20's in box this size.
Tried larger box of 100l and it went deeper, but just maxed out faster.

Read some info on Bob Brines site last night and will play with MJK sheets more.

Attachments

• Altec 414A.pdf
    24 KB · Views: 77
I know. He said TQWT unless i am using low DF amp and can bring up the Qts with series R, then a MLTL can be used. Unfortunately, that is where the advice stopped. I assume he is trying to get me to figure it out, which is cool, but htat may take some time. I just happen to have some 75 ltr boxes sitting around, so this works as a temp while that is happening.

The design Ingvar posted and you used with diy variovent could work, I guess, but nothing concrete from anyone.

I wont even have drivers until next week, as shipper didn't get them out yet.

Just trying to show I am not being lazy....just stupid.

Wife wont go for even single 210 cab.

Closest thing I can find and GM stated it was off a little. THese are for 414Z.
WinIsd only shows the C and it is ferrite.

fs 36,7Hz
Qm 3,5
Qe 0,35
Qt 0,32
Mms 39,9g
Vas 198 l
Cms 0,48mm/N
BL 17,4N/A
L(1k) 3,2mH
Sd - 510

Probably just a waste of time until i can get mine and get real measurements.

Correction: Dont want to waste you even more of your time:D

This has me worried. Found it on hostboard.

GM
"All the old EVs I'm familiar with are high Qts to keep efficiency high 'on the cheap', so a low Qts driver such as the 414 would need lots of EQ, preferably by using a high output impedance amp with variable DF bass tone control up to ~20 ohms to dial it in for most tonally balanced in-room response. Unfortunately, this much EQ tends to make them sound 'boomy'/'loose'."

I cant freakin win.

Good bit of news. Went by local speaker guys shop and was talking. He siad that he thought he might have an old altec sitting in back that came out of old church box. WEnt and checked and found rough looking speak(dirty with grundgy exposed magnet) that said 416Z on it. Got it for $75:D. Fiigure it would give me a comparison. Dirty around sticky sill but cone is in good shape and he says it works just fine.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ookin' lckybstrd!!

now I officially hate both you and Big Cal :rofl:

lookie - first draft , with T/S for 414E , with hogwash input for both Sd and Bl , with no data for Le

box can be folded , as I posted in pub for my Tanns

Attachments

• SS1.gif
    SS1.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 194
  • SS2.gif
    SS2.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 192
THats what i was getting in tL spreadsheet. I was trying TL sections and Tqwt as well and could get no where.

How did you determine So and Sl? Just by chaning aspect ratio/squiggly line thing in worksheet?

Slightly tilted up LF is to counter act baffle step, correct. Why do some go for ruler flat and EQ up over designing speaker for rising response to acoustically offset baffle step?
Bob Brines says you normally get about 3dB boost from room gain inthe 40hZ region.