Horn/TL combo - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2012, 10:25 AM   #101
diyAudio Member

It would look like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

The front part of floor in compression chamber has to be tilted down a bit and its 100mm wider than 12" version to avoid to hard compression in throat.

Quote:
is that cat an approximation of open cell foam or a furry damping material?
Most of the time she´s an approximation of utter disaster.
But she´s heavily into speakers and other audio related stuff.
Old 24th October 2012, 08:18 PM   #102
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

1942 - Bugs Bunny says: "What's up doc" - YouTube
Old 24th October 2012, 08:24 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

I love those cartoons. They were kinda violent though.
I will have a pair of 416's and 288's on doorstep this week, hopefully. Gota decide on super tweet and horn profile. May do DIY Iwata or JBL clone first. Gotta fier up speaker testing gear and finish B3-1/2 or buy Behringer. Little worried I may need more adjustability than B4 can offer in terms of XO. What's ZM up to?
Old 24th October 2012, 09:26 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

go for Iwata

think big - who cares for those little WG's

I had a pair , sold it ...... but still have a pair of origigi 811B and pair of Iskra (better than origigi) 811B knock-off-s ............ they're just more fun to see , damped and lipp-ed

I'm up to cleaning workshop , and seeing my Yoda (and his prettier and cleverer other half ) tomorrow

so - stone bbq these days , with some nice wine

Old 24th October 2012, 09:36 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Enjoy your weekend and wine.
Old 25th October 2012, 01:56 AM   #106
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
GM,
Is the muliway you posted pictures of in the Pub of similar size to your MLTL for the 416? Its funny how chamfering the front corners cand reduce the appearance of size. It seems to me that the 4552 was an unnecessary expense in that build, considering the presence of the 288. I guess it could be argued that he didnt need the 288 with the 4552. Also, i can see how the 414 would perform nicely as a midbass, but doesnt this kind of waste the abilities of the 515 and 416. Was the idea to bump the XO for the horn above the majority of the vocal range.
Which one? Westend’s?

As you can see, his is somewhat larger and judging by the specs I used, they were probably measured ones, but don’t currently have access to my notes beyond the MathCad sim:

AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Altec MLTL with Model 19 drivers : “I will be using the Altec 811 horn and a Heil AMT1 tweeter on the top of the enclosure. The cabinet dimensions are 52 3/4" H x 30" W x 21" D, volume is 16 1/2 ft.^3.”

New project with GPA woofers-drivers : “The port is tuned to 32Hz. External dimensions are 700mm x 1150mm x 600mm. Internal volume for bass reflex is about 360 liters.”

“The crossover cutoff frequency are 200Hz, 800HZ and 10KHz.”

Yeah, the first example I recall seeing with a baffle slant cut was Harry Olson’s late ‘40s ‘reflex’ [original MLTL AFAIK], which was presumably a manufacturing cost compromise to the large round over popular back then for large ‘HIFI’ sets, Salon style speaker cabs.

Good RTR, CD, DVD, BD recordings can have sufficient HF to warrant a super tweeter with any 1” or larger compression horn and even with vinyl if a relatively wide ‘sweet spot’ is desired, so apparently Mike wanted his system to handle it all.

Yeah, at first glance, 200 Hz does seem a bit of a waste of a 515 or any really wide BW woofer, but it also allows plenty of XO overlap for best overall blending or ‘gapping’ them electrically [adding delay to the 414] to better align them on a flat baffle, though don’t know if he took advantage of it.

No clue why he XO’d to large format multi-cell at 800 Hz unless it had to do with maintaining a smooth off axis response and/or ‘gapping’ the XO points.

Anyway, I’ve published probably a dozen or more 416 series designs on the net since ’96 and many more in PMs with no ‘default’ alignment per se since the specs of OEM and re-cones have varied enough to require up to a ~40 ft^3 cab if driven with a matching impedance, though ~10–13 ft^3 has been popular as a compromise between LF extension/net bulk, with tuning usually being done by ear in room with familiar music.

GM
Attached Images
File Type: gif Olson MLTL.gif (108.7 KB, 226 views)
Old 25th October 2012, 04:59 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

just keeping it on front page

couldn't wait to see pic of new arrivals

Old 25th October 2012, 07:56 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Here are the originals. I went a little crazy. I bought Altec 515B and G. Got some JBL123A in a trade. THey should make for good OB bass drivers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0098.JPG (733.8 KB, 199 views)
Old 25th October 2012, 07:59 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

really wakooyank

please clarify- what you exactly bought , besides JBL123A ?

one 515B and one 515G , or ?

what's your intention now ?
Old 25th October 2012, 08:10 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Two 515b that need recone and two 515G. Haven't secured the G yet. I missed two pairs of speakers because of indecision. I wasn't going to do that again. Just sale what i don't want.

Hide this!Advertise here!