Iphone Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Don't think you are going to get a helluva lot of depth /bass/dynamics out of a Teeny driver. Unless one cobbles together a bespoke refrigerator/coffin sized Box to maximize every last erg of energy.
In which case simply buying a ~8" min diam driver would be a far simpler, easier to live with solution. Likely work better too.
Clearly your expectations are not meeting your size restrictions?
Decent headphones are a passable and often very good compromise while traveling.

Looking at my original suggested speaker from Parts Express, the DS135-8, the spec sheet states it requires 7.55 liters, or 460 cubic inches, ported. The tweet is sealed. Why are we talking about refrigerators? Thats a 7" cube inside dimensions! The whole system could be done within a box 16 x 8 x 8". What am I missing here?

Yes, Vas of the driver is 7.55 litres. But Vas is not the required volume of the ported box. PE specifies 0.17 cu ft (=293.76 cu in).

Volume calculations seem to be tricky. I realized, i also have posted wrong values in reply #11. So let me resume what we have so far:

Assuming an overall size of 16 x 7 x 5 and 1/2" walls, after subtracting the volume of vent and driver magnet, we get a volume of 0.092 cu ft. This volume is further reduced by crossover, battery, amp, interface and connectors. We end at a remaing volume of maybe 0.02 cu ft.

Now the same calculation with new dimensions. The box is 16 x 8 x 8. After subtracting vent and magnet, we have a volume of 0.2 cu ft (=345.6 cu in). Minus the estimated value of 0.072 cu ft for the extras gives 0.128 cu ft.

Conclusion:
The small box doesn't work at all. The bigger box looks better. But the volume is still to small to use a 5" driver. It could work with a 4" driver. Maybe the Dayton DS 115-8?

Firstly, the dimensions do not include the amp, or battery. As stated, I would provide an additional space for those, but they are not important for speaker calcs. Secondly, the 7" dimensions are not in stone. The speaker says it needs 460 cubic inches, so 16x8x8. I'm not going to get hung up on the math. I was really more concerned with the pairing of the woofer and the tweet I selected, and what issues I would have designing a crossover.

Hi Basshunter,

I made a simulation of your box, assuming a baffle of 16" x 8" and a volume of 0.17 cu ft. But I failed to find a simple crossover using the two Dayton drivers we are talking about. A crossver frequency of 3.5 kHz is a little bit too high for the woofer, and the tweeter requires a complicated filter.

Therefor I exchanged the tweeter and tried the Vifa BC25SC06-04, which allows a crossover frequency around 3 kHz. Doing so, we have a more relaxed situation and a classic 2nd order crossover works well.

BasshunterSimulation.jpg
CrossoverBasshunter.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Basshunter,

I made a simulation of your box, assuming a baffle of 16" x 8" and a volume of 0.17 cu ft. But I failed to find a simple crossover using the two Dayton drivers we are talking about. A crossver frequency of 3.5 kHz is a little bit too high for the woofer, and the tweeter requires a complicated filter.

Therefor I exchanged the tweeter and tried the Vifa BC25SC06-04, which allows a crossover frequency around 3 kHz. Doing so, we have a more relaxed situation and a classic 2nd order crossover works well.

View attachment 305467
View attachment 305469

You put a lot of thought into this. The drawings look good to me, and the crossover design is HUGE! Thank you!
I missed the Vifa tweet. It does look better. I was looking at ones 1" or less but this will work.
So how do you think it will sound? This covers 50-20,000 hz. in a small portable box.I have to think it will sound better than a Bose, or the like.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.