Iphone Speaker - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2012, 04:10 PM   #11
Dissi is online now Dissi  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Yes, if properly done it will outperform many commercial solutions. But there are some problems. The first: The volume of the woofer in the box shown is only 2.6 litres (0.96 cu ft) and not 1.7 cu ft. Please check your calculation.
Old 6th October 2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basshunter View Post
Greetings all. I've been researching a speaker build for some time, and have gained enough knowledge now to have more questons than answers. My goal is a portable single box design to play stereo music from my Iphone that I can travel with. The Thodio is my inspiration. I will divide the box into two ported chambers, each having a woofer and a tweeter (I can do the math on this). I will somehow integrate a Parts Express DTA-110a 25wps amp. The speakers I want to use also from Parts-Express, are the DS135-8, and the ND16FA-6. The Woofer is 8 ohms and the tweet is 6. Could someone please take the time to look the specs on these and let me know if they would work well together? Any thoughts will help. Is 1st order Butterworth suficient? What freq should I aim the x-over for? This is my first speaker project, and the electrical is baffling to me. Thanks for your help.

If you want to generate stereo field into the room from a single box, then this is for you:
Stereophonic Sound from a Single Loudspeaker

Since this is your first project, you can get away from cross overs and stuff by using fullrange drivers. For this portable size class, something like 3"-4" elements would be great.

- Elias
Old 6th October 2012, 05:02 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I have looked a a lot of full range speakers, and they're just not full range enough. They lack lower end, or require too large a cab. Do you have a suggestion?
Old 6th October 2012, 05:13 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissi View Post
Yes, if properly done it will outperform many commercial solutions. But there are some problems. The first: The volume of the woofer in the box shown is only 2.6 litres (0.96 cu ft) and not 1.7 cu ft. Please check your calculation.
That's too big. It's not going to work.
Old 6th October 2012, 05:17 PM   #15
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basshunter View Post
Thanks. I have looked a a lot of full range speakers, and they're just not full range enough. They lack lower end, or require too large a cab. Do you have a suggestion?
Well, you will not get full range from a portable sized box regardless what drivers you choose, the box is too small for any real bass output.

As a first project, and to keep things simple, and to achieve fast results, and not to mess with cross overs which you said you cannot do, I still recommend full range drivers for you. One option is Markaudio CHR-70.

You can allways add 'portable' subwoofer later
Old 6th October 2012, 05:24 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I'll take a look at those. I'm obviously going to have to re-think this. I'm. Of afraid of cross
overs as long as they do 't get complicated. I don't have test equipment.
Old 6th October 2012, 05:27 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I'm NOT afraid of crossovers as long as they are simple
Old 6th October 2012, 07:03 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone for your interest in helping me on this project. I'll keep plugging away until something comes together. You all have been an inspiration.
Old 7th October 2012, 04:25 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

I know this is a DY forum but look at what logitech offers, 8 hours autonomy of playback, with decent "thin" sound and the dock included with recharge of the Ipod, compact with a sleeve ans a IC adapter, that's what I bring on my boat or on the beach. Nothing to mess around and enjoy. That's it
Old 7th October 2012, 03:54 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Sergeloc, yes, I could do that, but it would take all the fun out of the thought process. The boat, and beach sound like a lot of fun.

Hide this!Advertise here!