amps for active filtered speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2012, 10:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default amps for active filtered speakers

Hello,
I'm looking for some good price/value amps for an active filtered stereo set-up.
Each speaker (DIY) has the following drivers:

low: eminence delta 15 lfa (sensitivity: 96db)
mid: electro-voice 1823M (sensitivity: 118db)
high: JBL 2402 (sensitivity 110db)

Some members here at this forum convinces me to go active because of the many advantages.
I bought a used electronic cross-over and I am looking right now for some affordable amps that could be used for the mids and the highs. (I'll use the marantz that I use now for the low frequencies)

I found two used samson servo 120 (that had been used in a home studio) for 130$.

Are these any good? Or should I look for another brand? Thank you for your input, it will be much appreciated

some photos of my (current) setup: https://picasaweb.google.com/1136711.../Luidsprekers#
Old 5th October 2012, 11:17 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't know what your design goals are and how high you want the SPL but those drivers are very efficient. Have you thought of a small Class A amp? Ten watts of the JLH amp' would be quite loud and the amp is simple and has a very good reputation. If you are going active and use the original 1969 version (single rail) you could use a smaller high quality capacitor to replace the large electrolytic that a full range amp' would have.

Just a thought. Cheers, Jonathan
Old 5th October 2012, 11:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

thank you for your input!
Unfortunately, it's quiete impossible to buy these kits in Europe
Have to buy it on ebay (China),with much deliveryfailures in Europe, according to the seller

What about those samson amps? Anybody know those amps?
Old 5th October 2012, 12:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

In my opinion they are decent enough amps.
You could just get a bigger version for the bass like the Servo 300.
Old 5th October 2012, 06:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you, Charles, for your answer.

I read a lot of good things about the samson servo's, but they also seem to lack excellent bass response. That's why I prefer not to use another samson servo for the low-end, but probably a Harrison HH VX studio amp. The amp is known for a thight, focussed bass end with a great damping factor >300

Model number: HH VX120.

http://www.hhamplification.co.uk/dbf...HBroadcast.pdf

Click the image to open in full size.

It delivers 2 x 50W into 8ohm speakers. It's for home use, not for heavy party's
Any thoughts?
Old 5th October 2012, 06:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hey, I've got one of those!
It's currently tucked away under my bed. I did use it for treble duties for a while.
I now use a MC2 Audio T500 for that, my bass runs of a MC2 MC750 and the mids of MC2 MC450.
Personally I would not recommend a 50W amp for bass, I'd be looking for something like 150W. The need for headroom can not be overestimated IMO, particularly not with solid state amps.
Old 5th October 2012, 06:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

That's a pity, I read a lot of good things about this nice amp!
Now I use a 45W Marantz for the complete bandwidth (passive filters), but it isn't mine, that's why I need another amp.

Here, it uses never more then a third/quarter of it's power and then it's already very powerfull!

Should I need those 150Watts when a 45W amp already can deliver powerfull bass with a third/quarter of it's power?

PS: your amps are BEASTS.

Last edited by vandevoordekoen; 5th October 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 5th October 2012, 06:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Really depends on your listening levels.
If you never get over 100dBspl you might be ok. Remember that doubling power only gives a 3dBspl increase.
Personally I like to have 12-20dB of headroom but if you are happy with it that's all that counts (from the picture it looks like you've already got the amp).

Have you thought of building a Hypex amp for your bass? You could do a lot worse than that IMO.
Old 5th October 2012, 06:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

No no, it's just a picture picked from google
But I can buy it for a fair price (50$)
That's why I am so excited about this amp
Maybe I should wait and go for a HH VX300 (about 85$)...
But the question is, will I ever use all this headroom. I'll think about it.
Anyway, thank you for your input!
Old 5th October 2012, 07:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

about those hypex amps, they seem to require very good soldering skills.
It's not that I don't know how to hold a soldering iron, but when I see those prints, I feel a little uncomfortable

Hide this!Advertise here!