amps for active filtered speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I'm looking for some good price/value amps for an active filtered stereo set-up.
Each speaker (DIY) has the following drivers:

low: eminence delta 15 lfa (sensitivity: 96db)
mid: electro-voice 1823M (sensitivity: 118db)
high: JBL 2402 (sensitivity 110db)

Some members here at this forum convinces me to go active because of the many advantages.
I bought a used electronic cross-over and I am looking right now for some affordable amps that could be used for the mids and the highs. (I'll use the marantz that I use now for the low frequencies)

I found two used samson servo 120 (that had been used in a home studio) for 130$.

Are these any good? Or should I look for another brand? Thank you for your input, it will be much appreciated :)

some photos of my (current) setup: https://picasaweb.google.com/113671106596171841921/Luidsprekers#

I don't know what your design goals are and how high you want the SPL but those drivers are very efficient. Have you thought of a small Class A amp? Ten watts of the JLH amp' would be quite loud and the amp is simple and has a very good reputation. If you are going active and use the original 1969 version (single rail) you could use a smaller high quality capacitor to replace the large electrolytic that a full range amp' would have.

Just a thought. Cheers, Jonathan

Thank you, Charles, for your answer.

I read a lot of good things about the samson servo's, but they also seem to lack excellent bass response. That's why I prefer not to use another samson servo for the low-end, but probably a Harrison HH VX studio amp. The amp is known for a thight, focussed bass end with a great damping factor >300

Model number: HH VX120.

http://www.hhamplification.co.uk/dbfiles/techpdfs/HHBroadcast.pdf

IMG_2307.jpg

It delivers 2 x 50W into 8ohm speakers. It's for home use, not for heavy party's :)
Any thoughts?

Hey, I've got one of those!
It's currently tucked away under my bed. I did use it for treble duties for a while.
I now use a MC2 Audio T500 for that, my bass runs of a MC2 MC750 and the mids of MC2 MC450.
Personally I would not recommend a 50W amp for bass, I'd be looking for something like 150W. The need for headroom can not be overestimated IMO, particularly not with solid state amps.

That's a pity, I read a lot of good things about this nice amp!
Now I use a 45W Marantz for the complete bandwidth (passive filters), but it isn't mine, that's why I need another amp.

Here, it uses never more then a third/quarter of it's power and then it's already very powerfull!

Should I need those 150Watts when a 45W amp already can deliver powerfull bass with a third/quarter of it's power?

PS: your amps are BEASTS. :p

Last edited:
Really depends on your listening levels.
If you never get over 100dBspl you might be ok. Remember that doubling power only gives a 3dBspl increase.
Personally I like to have 12-20dB of headroom but if you are happy with it that's all that counts (from the picture it looks like you've already got the amp).

Have you thought of building a Hypex amp for your bass? You could do a lot worse than that IMO.

Also found a Samson quad servo 4060 power amplifier (4 channels) for 80$
Maybe this is a better (cheaper) option then the two different samson servo 120 amps for mids and highs?

Is there a big difference between the quad amp and the two samson stereo amps? Sorry for my noob questions, but I'm quiet new in that sort of stuff :)

2 x Samson servo 120:
http://www.samsontech.com/site_media/legacy_docs/servo_120_spec.pdf

or

Samson servo 4060 quad amplifier:
http://www.samsontech.com/site_media/legacy_docs/servo_4060_spec.pdf

Thanks in advance! :D

You're right, I'll not buy the samson amps, but save the money and search some good better and more powerfull stereo amps with enough power and enough 'headroom'.

Probably the HH VX300 for the low, the HH VX 150 for high and maybe a HH VX 200 for mids.

imput sensitivity of the 3 amps is the same, and they are good, according to a lot of review!

Thank you for you answers! It helped me a lot :)

On the used market, lots of things like old Parasound and Rotel multi-channel amps. There is always the stack of gain-clones. There are quite a few 1u size 40 to 50 W amps out there. You can always pick up an old AVR (one without HDMI is cheap) and rip it apart to use the amps. I am about to do that to an old Yamaha. It has seven amps in it, and they are not bad. A bit of tweaking, probably much like the Gainclones.

The only really important thing is the gain of all the amps is the same.

This "gain" seems to be very important, but how can I know if the gain of the different amps is the same? Will the gain be equal if the input sensitivity is the same and the volume knobs of the different amps are in equal positions?

I bought 2 HH amps (VX150 and VX200). Looking for a third amp (VX300).
I guess the gain of the different HH amps is equal for each amp? In fact, the input sensitivity of each amp is the same.

Besides, my electronic crossover has also individual volume knobs for each frequency band.
Shouldn't be a problem, should it?

Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.