diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   When it comes to speaker building, what best defines the term "DIY" (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/220917-when-comes-speaker-building-what-best-defines-term-diy.html)

Remlab 3rd October 2012 10:04 PM

When it comes to speaker building, what best defines the term "DIY"

In the commercial world, a company will typically design a speaker and put their name on it, but won't actually build it(Or parts of it) themselves. So the question is this. Is a design still considered "DIY" by most enthusiasts, if you don't build the cabinets, but choose all the design parameters and then put everything together yourself? After all, we don't make the wires, drivers, passive or active(most of the time)components or terminals. There is no one I admire more than someone who builds their own beautiful cabinets, but is that truly required to earn the name "DIY"? Opinions?

Melo theory 4th October 2012 12:33 AM

The Toaster Project: A DIY Quest for the Origins of Stuff | Brain Pickings

bentoronto 4th October 2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melo theory (Post 3189262)

Thanks for interesting link to link to book. I've long contemplated this "desert island" challenge.

What difference does DIY definition make? If the question is, what criteria to apply in deciding to make it yourself... a better question.

British taxes once made a big distinction between factory products and kits - for example a Lotus from the factory and a Lotus Super-7 Kit and HiFi stuff too. Geez, with all the Heathkits I made, pity no such distinction here.

B.

Bon 4th October 2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remlab (Post 3189117)
Is a design still considered "DIY" by most enthusiasts, if you don't build the cabinets, but choose all the design parameters and then put everything together yourself?

IMO the emphasis should be on the DO. It is all very well speculating on the perceived benefits and drawbacks of different approaches to dealing with audio issues, and healthy debate can clarify vision of what is achievable. However to qualify as DIY for me, I should see a tangible result. Implementing a given design qualifies. If there is some refinement of an existing design approach, even better.
Quote:

After all, we don't make the wires, drivers, passive or active (most of the time) components or terminals.

This is in the realm of engineering R&D not DIY
Quote:

There is no one I admire more than someone who builds their own beautiful cabinets, but is that truly required to earn the name "DIY"? Opinions?

No IMO. There are many reasons for involvement in DIY. For me, the desire to own equipment that performs well beyond the standard set by commercial products that I can afford, is my primary reason for DIY. If I was much richer or desirable products were much cheaper, I would probably not build speakers, despite the satisfaction I get from DIY. There are plenty of commercial products I would be quite content with. I just can't afford them. I use them as a target for my DIY efforts.

Remlab 4th October 2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melo theory (Post 3189262)

Fascinating. Thanks. I'm purchasing it on Amazon kindle right now.

Pano 4th October 2012 02:31 PM

Another big thanks for the link. Gotta get that book. :up:

gainphile 4th October 2012 02:43 PM

Well I do not mine the magnesium ore used in the drivers.

Does that count as diy ;)

Remlab 4th October 2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gainphile (Post 3189834)
Well I do not mine the magnesium ore used in the drivers.

Does that count as diy ;)

Just checked out the S19. Beautiful, functional design. Way better looking than the Linkwitz Orion, in my opinion. The (dual) waveguide tweeter is a better idea too(For matching the midrange dispersion at the crossover point). Wow!

Paul Scearce 4th October 2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

...we don't make the ... drivers...
umm

Quote:

...(most of the time)...
Ok, I'll grant you that.

sofaspud 5th October 2012 02:25 AM

Like many many other things in life, but completely true to the name, it ultimately depends on where you want to place the threshold.