When it comes to speaker building, what best defines the term "DIY" - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2012, 03:07 AM   #11
diyAudio Member
 
5th element's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: England
With loudspeakers there is a large range of what people would probably consider DIY.

One person might consider building a Zaph kit, complete with Parts express/Madisound cabinets a DIY design. This is a DIY effort to some extent as you're certainly going to tick the box that would qualify getting more for your money then if you were to buy a completely assembled pair of loudspeakers on the commercial market, but it does sort of stretch the definition of DIY a bit thin imo.

Now if you were to use Zaph's own design, but build the cabinets all by yourself and even if they didn't end up looking as good as the PE/Mad boxes, I would consider this more of a DIY effort then the first.

Then you've got the person who buys all the drive units and crafts their own cabinet and once built, measures everything and then designs their own crossovers. This is about as DIY as it gets, but depending on the designers competency you might end up with a cabinet that looks worse then madisounds and a crossover that's poorly implemented, but at least it's all your own work!

Finally you've got another choice which would be someone like Zaph for example, buying all of the drivers and cabinets from PE/Mad and then designing the crossover himself. Personally I consider the selection process for the drive units and then the associated design of the crossover, the true heart of what it means to make and design your own loudspeakers. This is the hard part to really get right and for that reason would make this choice qualify almost as high as if you had built the cabinets yourself too.

Part of this though is recognising your strengths and your weaknesses and working around them to give you what you wanted. Sure, buying PE boxes and a Zaph kit might not really be doing much true DIY, but if you've asked around on DIY audio for help in making an informed decision about which loudspeakers, from which designer, would be the best from a technical point of view AND in the process you've learnt a little more about loudspeaker design by researching these things and asking those questions, then there's no reason why this shouldn't be considered DIY.

I get the most fun out of choosing the drivers and designing the crossover and then seeing/hearing what the results are like. If someone else wants to build and finish the cabinets for me, then that's fine by me. I personally will consider the majority of the design my DIY effort with a bit of help from the person who built the box. And the person who built the box could probably also consider the majority of the design their DIY effort with a bit of help from me. Our opinions on that would be radically different, but at the end of the day we both ended up satisfied and most importantly would have scratched what they call 'the itch' where we are now hopefully satisfied to not feel immediately compelled into wanting to build something else!
__________________
What the hell are you screamin' for? Every five minutes there's a bomb or somethin'! I'm leavin! bzzzz!
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 03:30 AM   #12
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
rabbitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Newcastle, Australia
There are 2 ways to look at DIY..... design it yourself or do it yourself. Both fit the term well.
__________________
No longer DIY active
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 12:43 AM   #13
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mission Viejo Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
With loudspeakers there is a large range of what people would probably consider DIY.

One person might consider building a Zaph kit, complete with Parts express/Madisound cabinets a DIY design. This is a DIY effort to some extent as you're certainly going to tick the box that would qualify getting more for your money then if you were to buy a completely assembled pair of loudspeakers on the commercial market, but it does sort of stretch the definition of DIY a bit thin imo.

Now if you were to use Zaph's own design, but build the cabinets all by yourself and even if they didn't end up looking as good as the PE/Mad boxes, I would consider this more of a DIY effort then the first.

Then you've got the person who buys all the drive units and crafts their own cabinet and once built, measures everything and then designs their own crossovers. This is about as DIY as it gets, but depending on the designers competency you might end up with a cabinet that looks worse then madisounds and a crossover that's poorly implemented, but at least it's all your own work!

Finally you've got another choice which would be someone like Zaph for example, buying all of the drivers and cabinets from PE/Mad and then designing the crossover himself. Personally I consider the selection process for the drive units and then the associated design of the crossover, the true heart of what it means to make and design your own loudspeakers. This is the hard part to really get right and for that reason would make this choice qualify almost as high as if you had built the cabinets yourself too.

Part of this though is recognising your strengths and your weaknesses and working around them to give you what you wanted. Sure, buying PE boxes and a Zaph kit might not really be doing much true DIY, but if you've asked around on DIY audio for help in making an informed decision about which loudspeakers, from which designer, would be the best from a technical point of view AND in the process you've learnt a little more about loudspeaker design by researching these things and asking those questions, then there's no reason why this shouldn't be considered DIY.

I get the most fun out of choosing the drivers and designing the crossover and then seeing/hearing what the results are like. If someone else wants to build and finish the cabinets for me, then that's fine by me. I personally will consider the majority of the design my DIY effort with a bit of help from the person who built the box. And the person who built the box could probably also consider the majority of the design their DIY effort with a bit of help from me. Our opinions on that would be radically different, but at the end of the day we both ended up satisfied and most importantly would have scratched what they call 'the itch' where we are now hopefully satisfied to not feel immediately compelled into wanting to build something else!
The thing that really got me thinking about this subject is the latest "high end" efforts by Sony;
https://dealersource.sel.sony.com/ds...inal_LoRes.pdf.
A company that has always used their own drivers, cabinets and components, outsourced everything this time, except for the intellectual effort by one of it's own engineers. So it made me think; is it ultimately the "intellectual effort" that allows you to call a design your own? So far I've gotten some very good responses.
__________________
It's not what you don't know that causes trouble. It's what you do know that just ain't so..Mark Twain

Last edited by Remlab; 6th October 2012 at 01:02 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 12:49 AM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
Moondog55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norlane; Geelong: Victoria: Australia
Don't forget to add in all those people who buy the cheaper end speakers and then modify them by adding bracing and fibrefill ( always a good cheap fix IMO ) or changing crossover components, tinkering is also DIY
__________________
QUOTE" The more I know, the more I know, I know (insert maniacal laugh >here<) NOTHING"
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 12:54 PM   #15
afa is offline afa  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tasmania,
pure semantics, if you bothered to ask the question you need to get out a bit more
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 02:35 PM   #16
diyAudio Member
 
david crewe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chattanooga TN
Why DIY? Because you can't buy these.
Click the image to open in full size.

David
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 02:43 PM   #17
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
Pano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Milliways
Blog Entries: 4
I remember those cool speakers!
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 04:04 PM   #18
diyAudio Member
 
5th element's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
So it made me think; is it ultimately the "intellectual effort" that allows you to call a design your own? So far I've gotten some very good responses.
As far as I'm concerned that's the only bit that really matters, as ultimately that's the thing that's going to determine how well your loudspeakers perform. Where you get the raw components from doesn't really matter, it's how you use them that really counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
I remember those cool speakers!
An example where form and function are both following each other. My only criticism would be that the C2C spacing is a little high and I'm only saying this because it looks like it would be possible to reduce it.
__________________
What the hell are you screamin' for? Every five minutes there's a bomb or somethin'! I'm leavin! bzzzz!
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 07:25 PM   #19
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mission Viejo Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
pure semantics, if you bothered to ask the question you need to get out a bit more
Sounds like someone who built a kit! Or maybe designs them?
__________________
It's not what you don't know that causes trouble. It's what you do know that just ain't so..Mark Twain

Last edited by Remlab; 6th October 2012 at 07:31 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 12:45 AM   #20
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Taiwan
One can be a craftsman, a designer, or a (scientific) researcher.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Tired2way" speaker building. Starre Multi-Way 1089 5th July 2014 04:42 PM
Building first speaker - "best" design? EricPtek Multi-Way 12 23rd November 2011 12:21 PM
Building a simple "soft start" speaker protection circuit richard.C. Power Supplies 21 6th August 2011 08:12 AM
the term "Time Symmetry" means....?? redrabbit Parts 1 13th February 2008 11:11 AM
A new term.. "Speaker widow" Dave Bullet Everything Else 0 9th August 2007 05:05 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:58 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2