Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

searching for a 40hz-300hz bass horn
searching for a 40hz-300hz bass horn
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2003, 04:48 PM   #1
patriz is offline patriz
diyAudio Member

Default searching for a 40hz-300hz bass horn

I want to make a bass horn to match the uppers horns that goes 40-300hz , I saw the Lamhorn but doesn't go up to 300 or at least 250hz that I need. If any of you has build something like that or has a link to something interesting I would appreciate your help.
Old 28th October 2003, 04:54 PM   #2
Elso Kwak is offline Elso Kwak  Philippines
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Lightbulb Re: searching for a 40hz-300hz bass horn

Quote:
Originally posted by giolight
I want to make a bass horn to match the uppers horns that goes 40-300hz , I saw the Lamhorn but doesn't go up to 300 or at least 250hz that I need. If any of you has build something like that or has a link to something interesting I would appreciate your help.
Hi giolight,
The basshorn of the Klipschorn will cover that range. Do a search on Aaudio Asylum high efficiency speakers and on the Klipsch forum for DIY.

Old 28th October 2003, 08:26 PM   #3
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

Default Khorn plans

Erik's metric version http://www.volvotreter.de/downloads/klipschorn.pdf
Check the main site for more details.

The Edgar Monolith article on the same site might go close at the bottom depending on your room.
http://www.volvotreter.de/dl-section.htm

http://www.geocities.com/loudspeaker...dex_page1.html
Here is a set of 1946 Khorn plans.

Also check out Jeff Robinsons 28Hz horn. I beleive it will do 300Hz
http://www.geocities.com/loudspeaker...f_Bass_Bin.gif
Old 29th October 2003, 08:41 AM   #4
patriz is offline patriz
diyAudio Member

Yes the Klipshhorn is a chance, do they really go to 40hz? I have never heard them, how they compare to the pa gear such as W shape.

Gio
Old 29th October 2003, 11:57 AM   #5
Centauri is offline Centauri  Australia
diyAudio Member

Klipshhorn is a corner horn, requiring corners of room to extend its low end, W-bins are designed for ground use and therefore are larger - so depends on your useage.

The folds on most W type cabinets usually don't allow them to work properly that high, although there are some exceptions.

Cheers
Old 29th October 2003, 03:50 PM   #6
patriz is offline patriz
diyAudio Member

I can locate indifferently on the corners or front floor, I'm going to read all the great info in Brett link, unfortunatly the last link doesn't work.
Isn't the KH front folded horn too?
Old 29th October 2003, 07:15 PM   #7
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Centauri
Klipshhorn is a corner horn, requiring corners of room to extend its low end
Or you can use false corners. I do.

Quote:
Originally posted by giolight
I can locate indifferently on the corners or front floor, I'm going to read all the great info in Brett link, unfortunatly the last link doesn't work.
Isn't the KH front folded horn too?
If you have the ability to position in pi/4 (corner) or pi/2 (wall/floor boundary) then do so. It helps quite a lot in the bottom end. My new rig will use a large hypex midbass loaded in quarter space and the LABhorns will be loaded the same way.

I forgot you can't deep link into geocities. Go to http://www.geocities.com/loudspeakerguru/ . It's a drawing in the middle on the right.

Yes the Khorn is a folded front horn. See pic below for a cutaway.

As you mention the Lammhorn in your first post, I presume this horn is for domestic listening, not mobile PA? If so, one of the problems you'll face with a 40-300 horn is the path length. To get it long enough to work properly, there'll be a significant and most likely audible delay. This is one of the reasons my new rig uses two horns to cover the bottom correctly; a pair of LABhorns 23-65, and a hypex midbass 65-400. This kept the hypex down to a managable length.

You should also play around with the McBean simulator. Works very well and is free.
http://www.users.bigpond.com/dmcbean/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg khorncut.jpg (54.0 KB, 652 views)
Old 29th October 2003, 10:04 PM   #8
patriz is offline patriz
diyAudio Member

yes is for home use so space is limited. If Lamhorn would reach 300hz I would build them but they don't. I have already four ways I can't add the horn for 65-300hz plus the lamm for space limit.
I have thought about the horn-resp. software and people seem pretty happy with its plans, do you really now is that easy to make a good project?
By the way I will try to design my hyperbolic with it , since my roof are more than 3 meters high I could try something with really few bending going and tall.
This guy from japan seem don't worry much about time delay!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kobayashi, 01, garten.jpg (27.0 KB, 625 views)
Old 1st November 2003, 09:16 AM   #9
mikee12345 is offline mikee12345  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have thought about the horn-resp. software and people seem pretty happy with its plans, do you really now is that easy to make a good project?
yes i know of several people who report that it is pretty accurate.

my own 40hz basshorn plan
www.geocities.com/sc00byd0159

If you can make your horn straight,that means it will perform the higher frequencies better.

also basshorn information-
link

searching for a 40hz-300hz bass hornHide this!Advertise here!