2 bass drivers in a TL - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2012, 03:02 PM   #1
philipc is offline philipc  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default 2 bass drivers in a TL

How would one go about using 2 bass drivers in a TL or ML-TQWT? Does one need to change the design or can you design for a single driver and just add the second one under the first in the same box?

The reason for asking is I was thinking along the lines off a slim floor standing speaker for WAF, thus needing small drivers. I don't think a single 5" or 6.5" driver would be enough, hence the thought of using a folded TL and thinking by adding another driver I can increase the surface area.

Both drivers will be the bass section in a 3-way
Old 2nd October 2012, 03:12 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Basically double the CSA of the design compared to using one driver.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 2nd October 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 2nd October 2012, 03:22 PM   #3
jerryo is offline jerryo  Isle of Man
diyAudio Member

Unless you do an Isobaric loading of the two drivers which effectively reduces the vas of the combined drivers by half which will reduce the volume of the TL but not the length.
"apparently"
Old 2nd October 2012, 04:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

@ sreten- short and to the point. I have to confess that i thought Vas doubled too.

Ah. Misunderstood. Vas doubles, but doubling the CSA of both closed and vent ends achieves the same.

Doh.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 2nd October 2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 3rd October 2012, 06:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

@ sreten, thanks for the info, as I read it I clicked that basically the driver parameters of importance for a TL remains the same, but with a larger cone area. Makes perfect sense.

@jerryo, I have considered an isobaric setup, but using larger side firing drivers and getting a smaller enclosure because of the isobaric setup. I have used it before with reasonable succes, getting a smallish box to play down to 50Hz from 75Hz.
Old 3rd October 2012, 07:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

phillip. That is where i misunderstood Sretens post. Im certain he means double the CSA of the TL, since Vas doubles, and hence the TL volume will be doubled too.

Driver Sd isnt important, the TL CSA is.
Old 3rd October 2012, 07:32 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

So basically I would end up with a bigger box if I use 2 drivers instead of 1 box?
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryo View Post
Unless you do an Isobaric loading of the two drivers which effectively reduces the vas of the combined drivers by half which will reduce the volume of the TL but not the length.
"apparently"
I thought about this for a sub, does it work?
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:29 AM   #9
jerryo is offline jerryo  Isle of Man
diyAudio Member

You will get claims and counter claims about the whole isobaric thing, some in favour and some against. Whether it is worth the extra drivers and power requirements and reduced efficiency is probably a personal choice! A search will reveal the opinions on the matter.

"I do like the bass from my Linn Isobarik's however"
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:29 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

yes a box or line of double area, but length stays the same. Double volume in the line, though normally we dont use the volume in TL designs.

Hide this!Advertise here!