diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   2 bass drivers in a TL (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/220849-2-bass-drivers-tl.html)

philipc 2nd October 2012 04:02 PM

2 bass drivers in a TL

How would one go about using 2 bass drivers in a TL or ML-TQWT? Does one need to change the design or can you design for a single driver and just add the second one under the first in the same box?

The reason for asking is I was thinking along the lines off a slim floor standing speaker for WAF, thus needing small drivers. I don't think a single 5" or 6.5" driver would be enough, hence the thought of using a folded TL and thinking by adding another driver I can increase the surface area.

Both drivers will be the bass section in a 3-way

sreten 2nd October 2012 04:12 PM

Hi,

Basically double the CSA of the design compared to using one driver.

rgds, sreten.

jerryo 2nd October 2012 04:22 PM

Unless you do an Isobaric loading of the two drivers which effectively reduces the vas of the combined drivers by half which will reduce the volume of the TL but not the length.
"apparently"

mondogenerator 2nd October 2012 05:05 PM

@ sreten- short and to the point. I have to confess that i thought Vas doubled too.

Ah. Misunderstood. Vas doubles, but doubling the CSA of both closed and vent ends achieves the same.

Doh.

philipc 3rd October 2012 07:57 AM

@ sreten, thanks for the info, as I read it I clicked that basically the driver parameters of importance for a TL remains the same, but with a larger cone area. Makes perfect sense.

@jerryo, I have considered an isobaric setup, but using larger side firing drivers and getting a smaller enclosure because of the isobaric setup. I have used it before with reasonable succes, getting a smallish box to play down to 50Hz from 75Hz.

mondogenerator 3rd October 2012 08:05 AM

phillip. That is where i misunderstood Sretens post. Im certain he means double the CSA of the TL, since Vas doubles, and hence the TL volume will be doubled too.

Driver Sd isnt important, the TL CSA is.

philipc 3rd October 2012 08:32 AM

So basically I would end up with a bigger box if I use 2 drivers instead of 1 box? :grumpy:

Bill poster 3rd October 2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryo (Post 3187504)
Unless you do an Isobaric loading of the two drivers which effectively reduces the vas of the combined drivers by half which will reduce the volume of the TL but not the length.
"apparently"

I thought about this for a sub, does it work?

jerryo 3rd October 2012 10:29 AM

You will get claims and counter claims about the whole isobaric thing, some in favour and some against. Whether it is worth the extra drivers and power requirements and reduced efficiency is probably a personal choice! A search will reveal the opinions on the matter.

"I do like the bass from my Linn Isobarik's however"

mondogenerator 3rd October 2012 10:29 AM

yes a box or line of double area, but length stays the same. Double volume in the line, though normally we dont use the volume in TL designs.