How do I fix voice coil rubbing noise?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got 5 samples of Peerless Exclusive midranges, among the best I've ever heard in terms of midrange clarity and dynamics. Superior to Scanspeaks and Excels.

However, all 5 samples have voice coil rubbing at excursion. Seems like <1mm sets it off. The motors are just damn noisy. I want my advertised 4mm xmax. Should I take apart the motors and reconstruct them?

I got 5 samples of Peerless Exclusive midranges, among the best I've ever heard in terms of midrange clarity and dynamics. Superior to Scanspeaks and Excels.

However, all 5 samples have voice coil rubbing at excursion. Seems like <1mm sets it off. The motors are just damn noisy. I want my advertised 4mm xmax. Should I take apart the motors and reconstruct them?

Do you have an idea of whats rubbing?

If the former has hit bottom and the former is bent you can remove the dome of a speaker and work a shim around the pole piece. If there is dirt in the gap do the same but with masking tap rapped around the shim with the sticky side of the tap on the outside of the shim. For anything else you'd have to pull the cone.
Sometimes these things can be cleared up by working the cone at about 5 to 10 Hz with large excursion.

Last edited:
If the VC is glued to the cone base cocked at an angle, you've got a real problem. I suggest you remove the domes from a couple of the samples and look to see if the problem is consistent between the two. If so, it's probably the same on the others as well.

If the VC is square with the cone and simply off center, a reconer's trick can be employed to remedy that. Over-shim (on the tight side of the air gap) the VC to one side a bit and wet the spider with acetone. Let it dry overnight, remove the shim and test.

Davada and speakerdoctor's suggestions are good.

I have a 4015LF that initially seemed to "bottom out" at half it's rated Xmax, after running it past that point, the problem cleared up completely, there was probably a blob of glue from some part of the assembly process found it's way into the gap.

You may be "lucky" and find a similar problem.
Do the speakers feel or sound like they are rubbing when you push the cone 4mm by hand?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.