Can anyone idetify these 8" midbass? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2012, 07:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Can anyone idetify these 8" midbass?

Hey, I'm trying to identify these raw drivers. They're from a StudioLab 'Phase Inversion Monitor Mini-tower' about 1970's era and I've contacted the company but the current owners have no direct records about these particular models or drivers.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

The rear of the cone has the number C083.3 and the magnet reads CS8-3-091 L9

Any thoughts? Hints? Leads? I know the tweeters from that same tower are Phillips AD0162 T15
Old 1st October 2012, 04:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default PA Driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stochastic View Post
Hey, I'm trying to identify these raw drivers. They're from a StudioLab 'Phase Inversion Monitor Mini-tower' about 1970's era and I've contacted the company but the current owners have no direct records about these particular models or drivers.
>snip<
The rear of the cone has the number C083.3 and the magnet reads CS8-3-091 L9

Any thoughts? Hints? Leads? I know the tweeters from that same tower are Phillips AD0162 T15
Suspect CS stands for Ceiling Speaker, the intended end use. The stamped steel frame and aluminum dust cap suggest this as well. Stuffing them in a consumer product is a good way to take advantage of an excess or obsolete inventory sale. Check to see if there is a place on the driver frame for mounting a transformer.

Regards,

WHG
Old 1st October 2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Everything about them shouts generic materials and OEM. It won't be worth renewing the surrounds as these are inexpensive. Best bet is to measure your box and go searching for similar drivers to replace those.
Old 1st October 2012, 05:38 PM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

MCM Audio Select 8" Woofer with Poly Cone and Rubber Surround 70W RMS at 8ohm | 55-2971 (552971) | MCM Audio Select

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/conten...ts/55-2971.pdf

Hi,

A generic modern cheap 8" driver, probably a lot better than an old generic.

Claimed T/S specs are actually good, should fit a wide range of boxes.

rgds, sreten.
Old 1st October 2012, 07:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Interesting, studioLab was a very well regarded name in Canadian audio. They claim to be the first speaker brand in Canada and from what I can tell these towers cost upward of $400 a pair in 1970's money. Here's the reply I got from the current owner of studioLab
Quote:
I'm sorry but I don't have any specs. on your woofers. They were made by StudioLAB in the late seventies and any original spec sheets are long gone as the company was owned at that time by a previous owner. If I may suggest, consider building your new cabinets with the same volume, porting & rigidity as the original and use the same crossover.

The Mini-Tower was designed originally for 70's music and 70's technology. If audio is a hobby for you, as it sounded in your email, then modifying the sound by trying different crossover points and cabinet designs could help update the sound. The woofers are of a very good quality with all components either hand built or sourced locally, so your time spent to re-foam them will not be wasted.
Old 1st October 2012, 07:22 PM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Well if you refoam them get new dustcaps as well as all drivers
with metal dustcaps where following a fashion fad and nothing else.

rgds, sreten.
Old 1st October 2012, 07:48 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

My dad is machining some hardwood phase plugs on his lathe. Now I just need to disguise the ring of glue where the dust cap met the cone.

Hide this!Advertise here!