Dynamics, brute force and resolution with tiny feet. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2012, 05:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dynamics, brute force and resolution with tiny feet.

For those here that donīt know me: i donīt like small speakers.

I donīt care about WAF, maybe because my wife never has objected to stuff like these in the livingroom:

Click the image to open in full size.

I design and build mostly large speakers and i normally regard a driver with a sensitivity below 95dB as defective.

A couple of months ago fate or chance or whatever intervened and there was a sound reason for me to try to design something using Morel drivers.

Very reluctantly from start, i after a while, reading specs over and over, decided to do the best i could, starting at the budget end of those rater expensive drivers.

After a few days with the slideruler, paper and pen, WinIsd etc, i ended up with this.

Having lived with those for some weeks now iīm still stunned by what they do, donīt understand how they can, but will recomend any one who wants something really small but likes the sound of really big speakers, try this design.

Drawings up here soon.

Ingvar

Last edited by ingvar ahlberg; 28th September 2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 28th September 2012, 08:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

So, what is this then?

The two sligtly larger round parts are Morel CAW638, the smaller one in between is Morel CAT408.

These reside in something i would call a rather large aperiodic box.

During design i eventually ended in this box that had a teoretical f3 at 34Hz, decent for two 6 1/2", in reality, after breaking in, f3 is far lower.

First measurment, in my livingroom, no mike damping, just quick and dirty, no smoothing at all, still looks pretty decent.

Ingvar
Old 28th September 2012, 08:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

This is measuremnt from speaker in above picture, after about 1 hour listening, itīs pretty obvious that the f3 calculation was decently ok, which proves the old proverb, "even a blind hen".

With industry standard smoothing:

Linear behaviour might be good, dont know if it is important, but dynamic capabilities is, i beleive, the most important part in a speakers way of reproducing recorded music in a lifelike and enjoyable way.
Old 28th September 2012, 09:10 PM   #4
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

It looks like you have a kind of MLTL, with that vent at the bottom. Do you call it aperiodic because you heavily damped the line?

IG
Old 28th September 2012, 09:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

No, its not any kind of qw related pipe or tl, itīs a quite large box, for 2x6,5" drivers, around 55 litres if i remember correctly, but vented, tuned to slightly above 30hz.

All inner surfaces are lined with heavy felt, except the entrance area of the rather long vent which is where the flow resistance material is placed, which is done at place of use, tuning them to the listening room.
Old 28th September 2012, 09:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Interesting. How do they sound? By big do you mean they reach low or they have really big soundstage?
Old 28th September 2012, 10:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Is your cross over at 2khz? Looks like you have a polarity issue. There's a 10db droop right there.
Old 28th September 2012, 10:30 PM   #8
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

No doubt though you can probably do better with better value drivers
in similar cabinets. Morel drivers although expensive, have never stood
up as value for their cost, in all the comparative DIY testing I've seen.
(Or do similar for quite a bit less.)

rgds, sreten.

Aperiodic loading is very different to tuned vented (damped or not) loading.
Old 28th September 2012, 10:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

X-over at measurment time was suposed to be around 3k, after rework and fiddling with components that works, still a litte dip, 4dB or so, around 2,5k.

How they sound?
Now we are entering the subjecteve realm, ok with me, music is as far from objective anything can be. Bear in mind, i designed these speakers, i dont write about them here with a comercial interest, all drawings will be published here and availlable in pdf file for anyone who wants them.

I think:
LF extension is really astonishing with impact or force like very much larger drivers more associated with pro or studio use, still very tonaly corect, You allways hear the note the baseman plays, not just a rumble.

Voices are lifelike and present, maybe lacking in the sense of actual presence and force as a really good 12".

Soundstage is ridicously good, and separation/resolution of unison voices is the best iīve ever heard.

Drawbacks?

None.

Hullo! There we caught the liar!

Major drawback is very poor sensitivity, measured after a few hours of use, gives 2,83v @ 100Hz 1M = 92dB , as it is a 4ohm load it also needs an amp with decent power and current capacity.

My tiny ML11 amp gladly produces 120dB with these speakers and a simple EL84PP (Edison12) has no trouble playing music at fairly realistic levels through these speakers
Old 28th September 2012, 11:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No doubt though you can probably do better with better value drivers
in similar cabinets.
Suppose Youīve allready tested.

[QUOTE][ Morel drivers although expensive, have never stood
up as value for their cost, in all the comparative DIY testing I've seen./QUOTE]

Hearsay or experience?

Quote:
Aperiodic loading is very different to tuned vented (damped or not) loading.
And?

Hide this!Advertise here!