Dynamics, brute force and resolution with tiny feet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
-8 deg c, a clear blue winter sky, zero wind, quite a bit higher bloodconcentration in the alcohol system, things look different.

Ah, I wish it was that warm up here as well. Today was the day for the annual christmas market in the village and standing outside in -18c for several hours was not the best thing I've done this week.

Ingvar, you sent me the mail/package, right?

The Jake speakers look very cool, maybe something my dad should build? ;)

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes back in 2004 when I was deciding what drivers to purchase for my MTM's I considered the MDT33's for a while (which also came in matched pairs). Terry who I mentioned earlier actually had his own custom versions of those (I think that they may have been horn loaded like the dms37's I ended up getting). The reason for the custom version was to get time alignment with the MW144's without the need for a sloped/stepped baffle.

I suspect that the combo of a CAT378 and a pair of CAW538's should work well together (as they seem to be the newer versions of the mw144 and dms37), you need to surface mount the woofers and flush mount the tweeter for time alignment. Again the info on the MW144 and DMS37 combo came from Terry who had design input into the DMS37 tweeter. Note that I am assuming that the kept the synergy of the old when they designed the new!

Last edited:
Port is 330mm long, not 418, don´t really know where that figure came from.

Nice to get this whith the hf units.

ST728.jpg

The Jake speakers look very cool, maybe something my dad should build?

Why not, they are eminently fun for playing Tony Joe White loud, really loud.

As the box is so utterly small there´s hardly room fo the intake panel.

jake3-1.jpg

Worked a bit too much so not enough time to play and listen yet but so far, ridicously fun, especially when playing loud, seems the Morel drivers are dull when playing really soft when they´re not broken in yet.

Measuring is suddenly something uncomprehensible when hf units are of unknown and very wide dispersion design, Horns and amt´s You know how they beam, know reflections, at least somewhat, but how do You meassure really wide dispersion speakers further away than 1m and now what You meassure, room or speaker?

On the other hand, i don´t actually care, these are among the most rewarding, happiest speakers i´ve listened to in a long time, and i suppose low level dynamics will improve with break-in time just as the case was with the Oy speakers.

Ingvar

New toys arrived today, waited a long time.

2310-1.jpg

Box larger than i expected, drivers too, there was no mechanical info available from Mundorf, they´re handbuilt and it has taken quite some time before they finally relased them. Need to redraw first testbox, will be with the Morel EW638, i think.

Airmotiontransformers are, in my experience, so far the best technology for hf transducers, the Heills and Beymas TPL units are fantastic, so this will be really fun to try out.

2310-2.jpg

Smoothed or even averaged may be what industry does to sell drivers, but for adjusting speakers it is no good.

The dip @ 2Khz could be euphonic, certainly at higher SPL, but you might still want to get rid of it to get an uncoloured sound. There appears to be partial cancellation going on in the xover region.

human hearing

hi all,
based on the 1/3 octave in room measurement , as suggest and studied with numerous listening test in scientific method, I think your speaker has too much energy in the two last octave. Mueller suggest a slight pendence to the right of about 6 dB from 100 to 20 KHz , this curve give you the most natural listen .

Cheers, ;-)

Paolo Pontello research & development
phaseless high end speakers maerne VE italy
041/5411183 wwwphaseless.net coming soon

Well, now that I have all drivers connected in phase :rolleyes: the thread title seems correct to me.

First impression was just :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
The bass was almost overwhelming, and chest slam like no other speaker with just 6.5" drivers.

I've spent the last two hours with all lights off, computer screen off, sitting in a nice chair with a merino sheepskin over my body just enjoying music. My ears start distorting way before the speaker does, dynamics are awesome and soundstage is great!

As soon as I turn 18 (one week left) and I can order stuff online I'll make sure to order a pair of Sonic Design speaker pads because I feel that a lot of energy is transfered to the floor. The pads should improve the bass and lower mids a lot I suppose.

glad you like them, but 'chest slam' is perhaps an exaggeration or misinterpretation.

Do you have Pine floorboards? Perhaps its a case of 'pine floor resonance causing ches slam'?

I experienced a similar thing once, a tremendous chest slam around 80hz. Once the boxes were on spikes, bass was taught and controlled and thd 'slam' was gone.

Last edited:
My ears start distorting way before the speaker does

air is a non-linear medium, especially as spl goes high.

your ears don't distort as much, they saturate *relatively smoothly* (at louder levels you tend to perceive any sound at the same loudness, eg, from 100to106 you perceive a smaller difference than from 80to86 even though it is objectively the *same* difference). the air though *does* distort and it is more and more significant the louder it is at the speaker and the further you are from the speaker.

Putting absorbing feet in the mail today.

Did the shipping company eat the absorbing feet again? :O

glad you like them, but 'chest slam' is perhaps an exaggeration or misinterpretation.

Do you have Pine floorboards? Perhaps its a case of 'pine floor resonance causing ches slam'?

I experienced a similar thing once, a tremendous chest slam around 80hz. Once the boxes were on spikes, bass was taught and controlled and thd 'slam' was gone.

Well, I can feel it in my chest so chest slam is appropriate. Not like the chest slam at live concerts but it is noticable.
I'm not entirely sure what the floor is made of. It looks like birch but I'm pretty sure it's not wood, more like some laminate or whatever it's called. The speakers are standing on some particle board subwoofer at the moment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.