Dynamics, brute force and resolution with tiny feet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Correct, being misstaken For Ingvar Öhman is a first for me, allthough flattering not so for him, he´s a much more renowned designer and also younger, just turned 50 i think.

We´re both bearded, mine whiter thou but he shure aint got no ponytail, after this incident i very much doubt he´ll grow one.

Pony tail?

Well who knows, maybe I will grow one, if mother nature lets me... :)

I have not written anything here since 2009 I think, and now I'm here
only to clarify that I'm the person responsible for the engineering behind
Guruproaudio, though the the guy who came up with the name is my
colleague Erik Ring. And I like the oxymoronic touch. :)

Best regards, Ingvar Öhman

- - - - -

PS. I'm not really bearded, I just lazy, regarding shaving too.

Last edited:
hahahaha i love it when people pop up out of nowhere like that!

Maybe not out of nowhere.
Sweden is, populationwise, a small country. I Öhman and i know of eachother, are active on the same Swedish foras etc.

It was, actually, him that was accused of disingenuous representation with the reference to his company, naturally i informed him of this.

Trying to market Yourself or Your company using multiple forumidentities under the same firstname? I seriously doubt that its possible to find anyone, even a swede, that stupid.

I allways, everywhere on the web or elsewhere, write under my real name, that way i can allways be held accountable for what i say, i think that´s good.

I hope this matter is sorted out and closed now.

Hi,

My apologies to both Ingvars for confusing them, I should of course
checked what the searches actually hit, for the full name but I didn't.

Whatever, disingenuous is a word that I'm trying to describe what
acceptable representation is in various cultures. This thread is pure
over the top "its great" without one iota of sensible comparison.

rgds, sreten.

So, listened a lot to these speakers, tiny tweaks in filter, they still reside in prime position in listening/living room. I like them and i like the Morel drivers.

Needed really small speakers for the guestroom so i stepped up a bit in the Morel catalouge.

Tiny boxes like this, a guestroom must have space for guests too, doesn´t work otherwise, needs good drivers.

jake3.jpg

jake2.jpg

They ended up ridicuosly tiny, actually closer to headphones than speakers.

jake005.jpg

jake1.jpg

Put a lot of time in portdesign, seems it paid of, first measurement, 35cm on axis of hf unit, 1m above the floor, practically no wallsupport, 60 squaremeter room, played just a few hours.

jake3-2.png

This thread is pure
over the top "its great" without one iota of sensible comparison.

rgds, sreten.

While your edge is perhaps overzealous, describing the speakers of topic the way they have been is obviously excessive. A reasonably flat response isn't sufficient, but it IS necessary. a 10dB broadband midrange dip.... No thanks! If they sound very dynamic, that's wonderful, but cap and coil is only good as a starting point, for a true 2 way. Fullrange and supertweeter can sound good though, but that's not what this design is.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Probbaly the (what I thought was in room) response in post 3. 10 db I think is pushing it though as in total the graph is showing about +- 12 db from lowest to highest. which would be a lot less without the rising response after about 5K :)

Have you done any gated measurements ingvar? my experience with the morels would indicate that the gated response should be pretty smooth, even with just a cap and a coil.

Tony.

Strange then , to add that comment right after a measurement of another speaker where You would be hard tested to find much outside a +/- 3dB span between 50-10k, but that seems to have become the new diyaudio environment, an absolute negativity, a lot of now it all, a lot of you cant do that, not much left of the friendly open and helpful comunity that was here when i, by mistake, fell out of here last time.

Whatever these knowitalls think, these spakers are good, to my ears, the Morel drivers are really good so the selfaclaimed experts can surely do something even better than my humble excersises whith them.

I thought this was a place to share, help and encourage, that was utterly wrong, this is a place where narrowminded nobodys thrive on trowing their frustration on anyone who present an idea or design that departs from their main route.

There´s nothing worse, or more dangerous, in this world than morons.

Signing out, for good.

Ingvar

Ingvar, take a deep breath and cool down. I nearly made my own signature: "Casting Pearls before swine..." on occasion. :D

Now having just been involved in an Epos ES-12 thread where there is no bass filter whatsoever, and only a 2.2uF cap on the tweeter, there is something to be said for your simple filters. :)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/224752-epos-es-12-what-modifications.html

Can we hear more about your new little speaker? It looks nice. Birch ply box?

jake1.jpg

Attachments

• Morel_CAW-638.JPG
    Morel_CAW-638.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Strange then , to add that comment right after a measurement of another speaker where You would be hard tested to find much outside a +/- 3dB span between 50-10k,

Yes but perhaps he read the first couple of posts and posted his reply before reading the rest of the thread :) As I said the first graph (as far as I am aware) was in room, so of course it is going to have big dips and peaks :)

The latest speaker looks very nice indeed Ingvar! Please keep posting :)

You might want to PM Terry (phoenix358) diyAudio - View Profile: pheonix358 he hasn't been online for a while (if he had I'm sure he would have posted in your thread). He has a lot of experience with Morel drivers and pretty much does as you have been doing. ie very simple crossovers.

Tony.

-8 deg c, a clear blue winter sky, zero wind, quite a bit higher bloodconcentration in the alcohol system, things look different.

We´re closing in on that time of the year when it´s even more important to behave well towards others, something i have a hard time with, but i´ll try my best.

The tiny Jake speaker, designed for our guestroom and on demand from diy friends in Sweden, is indeed built in 18mm birchply.

Net volume about 13L, port 200x25mm, 418mm long. As the Morel drivers can handle quite some power these can play really loud on demand, thus the sidewalls are lined with 0.5mm leadfoil to overcome the "transparency" the ply has around 400Hz.

The lf unit seems very well built, the cone is actually turned.

jake2-1.jpg

Back soon, have to heat up some glögg (gluewein).

Ah, good. Everybody chillin' out to their favourite ABBA record now. ABBA could have been named FABB, of course. Harmony restored and no-one ripping apart low order crossovers. :D

Lead sheets, eh? Joachim Gerhard likes a solid metal base screwed on to his Sonics Anima speaker. Must do something similar...:cool:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Time alignment helps with low order filters. You wire the tweeter out of phase and phase is then really good:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Those Morel drivers are top notch:
Morel EW 638 Woofer
Morel ST 728 Tweeter

The woofer reminds me of the Visaton W200S 4 ohm frequency response which works rather well on first order, albeit a bit of cone breakup getting through.

Attachments

• Morel_Elite_EW638.JPG
    Morel_Elite_EW638.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 73
  • Morel_Supreme_ST728.JPG
    Morel_Supreme_ST728.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 68
  • First_Order_Sim_FR.JPG
    First_Order_Sim_FR.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 63
  • First_Order_Sim_Phase.JPG
    First_Order_Sim_Phase.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 73
  • First_Order_Sim_Network.JPG
    First_Order_Sim_Network.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 70
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.