Dynamics, brute force and resolution with tiny feet. - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2012, 08:36 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

The tweeters are delivered in matched pairs with actual fr meassurements, nice i think.

Managed to go slow on the glögg, switched to beer instad.

Been a really nice and good sunday with wife and friends, turning in now, have to be really early tomorrow.
Old 2nd December 2012, 08:49 PM   #82
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingvar ahlberg View Post
-8 deg c, a clear blue winter sky, zero wind, quite a bit higher bloodconcentration in the alcohol system, things look different.
Ah, I wish it was that warm up here as well. Today was the day for the annual christmas market in the village and standing outside in -18c for several hours was not the best thing I've done this week.

Ingvar, you sent me the mail/package, right?

The Jake speakers look very cool, maybe something my dad should build?
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:53 AM   #83
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Yes back in 2004 when I was deciding what drivers to purchase for my MTM's I considered the MDT33's for a while (which also came in matched pairs). Terry who I mentioned earlier actually had his own custom versions of those (I think that they may have been horn loaded like the dms37's I ended up getting). The reason for the custom version was to get time alignment with the MW144's without the need for a sloped/stepped baffle.

I suspect that the combo of a CAT378 and a pair of CAW538's should work well together (as they seem to be the newer versions of the mw144 and dms37), you need to surface mount the woofers and flush mount the tweeter for time alignment. Again the info on the MW144 and DMS37 combo came from Terry who had design input into the DMS37 tweeter. Note that I am assuming that the kept the synergy of the old when they designed the new!

Last edited by wintermute; 3rd December 2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: add links to datasheets.
Old 3rd December 2012, 01:03 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

The Morel haters will return. Sad people, for whom good isn't good enough. I like the sound of simple filters, but I aspire to simplicity.
Old 3rd December 2012, 06:26 AM   #85
diyAudio Member

Port is 330mm long, not 418, don´t really know where that figure came from.

Nice to get this whith the hf units.

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
The Jake speakers look very cool, maybe something my dad should build?
Why not, they are eminently fun for playing Tony Joe White loud, really loud.
Old 4th December 2012, 07:41 PM   #86
diyAudio Member

As the box is so utterly small there´s hardly room fo the intake panel.

Worked a bit too much so not enough time to play and listen yet but so far, ridicously fun, especially when playing loud, seems the Morel drivers are dull when playing really soft when they´re not broken in yet.

Measuring is suddenly something uncomprehensible when hf units are of unknown and very wide dispersion design, Horns and amt´s You know how they beam, know reflections, at least somewhat, but how do You meassure really wide dispersion speakers further away than 1m and now what You meassure, room or speaker?

On the other hand, i don´t actually care, these are among the most rewarding, happiest speakers i´ve listened to in a long time, and i suppose low level dynamics will improve with break-in time just as the case was with the Oy speakers.

Ingvar
Old 11th December 2012, 07:11 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

New toys arrived today, waited a long time.

Box larger than i expected, drivers too, there was no mechanical info available from Mundorf, they´re handbuilt and it has taken quite some time before they finally relased them. Need to redraw first testbox, will be with the Morel EW638, i think.

Airmotiontransformers are, in my experience, so far the best technology for hf transducers, the Heills and Beymas TPL units are fantastic, so this will be really fun to try out.

Old 11th December 2012, 07:38 PM   #88
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingvar ahlberg View Post
A bit uncertain about where You find this broad 10dB dip in the midrange?
1500-4kHz. -20 goes down to a little above -30 (smoothing would make it look more like 7dB perhaps)

This looks like partial phase cancellation. The filter, in any case, could use some refinement, as this component is likely in the anechoic response as well.
Old 11th December 2012, 08:04 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

I see that i failed to post later measurements of the Oy speakers here, still there is no 20 or 30dB dip in that first posted measurement of a speaker played for about 1 hour, and first test x-over.

This is the latest measurement of th Oy speaker:

Old 11th December 2012, 09:24 PM   #90
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Nobody said there was a 20 or 30 db dip- -20 and -30 were the y axis references. Newer version looks much smoother (with smoothing) but I'd want to listen off-axis to avoid that large rise.

Hide this!Advertise here!