Focal\JMLab Beryllium tweeter - where to get?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there,

I don't know if it is the correct forum for my question, So apologies if it's not.

The story: When I cleaned the front surface of the speaker, The magnetic grill went down and 'pierced' my tweeter :( It doesn't affect the sound, But I can't live with such amazing tweeter pierced :grumpy:.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I live in Israel, So the prices are pretty high, My local dealer suggested to buy a new complete tweeter kit (with the bezel I think) for 1150$ (for one tweeter of-course) :headbash:

Focal costumer service wouldn't agree to sell \ even say how much such tweeter costs, They just forwarding me to the Israeli distributor..

Where can I find this tweeter in 'reasonable' price? (I've heard the price is 800$ for the 3rd generation Be tweeter, mine is the first).

Thanks guys, sorry for my English.

...My local dealer suggested to buy a new complete tweeter kit (with the bezel I think) for 1150$ (for one tweeter of-course) :headbash:
Suppose you either live with that piercing or buy exactly same version of tweeter (and preferably matching pair), as the sound could differ between tweeters manufactured in different time. If you want to get 3dr generation, not sure if it can fit, as usually it require changes in crossover.

Suppose you either live with that piercing or buy exactly same version of tweeter (and preferably matching pair), as the sound could differ between tweeters manufactured in different time. If you want to get 3dr generation, not sure if it can fit, as usually it require changes in crossover.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but I do want the first generation Be tweeter, I just mentioned that the only price I find was 800$ for the 3rd generation tweeter...

Well, That's very weird, if I was looking for a Focal Be tweeter for my DIY project, Is that so hard to get one...? It seems like a big secret or something like that, Just give me a new tweeter take my money!!! ;-/

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but I do want the first generation Be tweeter, I just mentioned that the only price I find was 800$ for the 3rd generation tweeter...

Well, That's very weird, if I was looking for a Focal Be tweeter for my DIY project, Is that so hard to get one...? It seems like a big secret or something like that, Just give me a new tweeter take my money!!! ;-/

800USD for 3rd generaton id not true- we exchanged focal diablo utopia tweeter and I saw dealer price, not even close.

I am afraid "you will not find them at reasonable price"
600USD for TBU would be very good price.

Last edited:
Why wouldnt the company repair such an expensive product to satisfy a customer after the sale? Using such a mishap as a profit avenue is pretty sad.

A solution would be for the company to take the old unit back in exchange for a replacement at dealer cost. Since you are sending them a unit that is damaged, it shows you purchased the product and youre not just trying to source their flagship parts for a DIY project. If I couldnt get a repair done at a sane price without a greedy dealer making money on my misfortune, I wouldnt buy from that company.

Sony sold a so called Extended Definition speaker line some years ago, their smallest model was SSB-2ED.
It sports an average 5 inch kevlar woofer, the cabinet is built beautifully (real wood veneered, crossbeaced MDF cabinet) and it has a tweeter!!! ....wow!
Sony says Carbon Graphite Composite, goes up to 70kHz, and let me tell you, after 35 years of trying, testing dozens of tweeters (including Focal, Accuton, Scan-Speak, various berilliums, some ribbons, planars etc.), not many on the market that can touch the sound quality of this one. You know how hard is it to describe what you hear, but often I just think it is magic..... Fast, uncolored, goes waaay up beyond the audible range, no distortion, coloration of any kind.
Well, why I am writing this? Because recently I saw a few ads on E-bay, and other websites, selling the PAIR for about 80-100 Euros..... Let me tell you, IMHO one tweeter worth more than that. So if you want a brilliant tweeter for virtually nothing, give them a try, you won't regret it.

Her is a picture of the Sonys

Attachments

• SSB-2ED.jpg
    SSB-2ED.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 287
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.