"The CSS 'Next Generation' High Resolution 'Triton' Kit" designed by Jeff Bagby - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2012, 03:09 PM   #41
HiroPro is offline HiroPro  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post
Yeah the OPPO, in my opinion does a great job, I can really tell from the Panasonic player. But the Marantz is superb as it is not as SS, but warm like a tube. But not enough to make the PHil2s shine, though. As you said not enough power. Most I know drive them....particularly the 3s with 200-300wpc.

And, yes, I had others, like the XPA-5, but too clinical for me and big and heavy. So I had to make a decision as the WAF in that room is significantly important. I want a pre, but the room is the issue, but I am working on that though.

Those are some good suggestions and I will keep them in mind, but the Tritons love the Marantz.
Are you using the AVR or the Oppo as the converter?
Old 15th October 2012, 03:10 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

I had an issue with email, but found that he is very busy and for the most part he has been great in every respect, so I don't understand. Maybe he is at a audio fest.

Also, I think he gets a lot of emails as he had missed a few of mine, so I would keep it up. Most of the drivers, particularly my Triton was shipped from Meniscus Audio in the States, not Canada.

Good luck!
Old 15th October 2012, 03:14 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
HiroPro, I have quite a few measurements and details for both the flush mounted and waveguide mounted version of this tweeter. It's all posted in the CSS subforum in the commercial area. Do a search for my name. I'm not affiliated with CSS, however that makes you feel about them. I also posted some info in the very last post of the waveguide development thread over on parts express tech talk. I have more work to do with the waveguide build.

There is a little peak in the top octave. It's likely breaking up a bit up there. It cancels off axis far enough. But I chatted with bikinpunk punk about it and he didn't get that. So who knows.
Regarding the flush mount or waveguide. Can you purchase the waveguide model and remove the flange/guide and use it as a flush? How about rear mounting on the flush model?

I guess the waveguide/flange on the regular guided version is prob soldered to the basket/motor housing so they are two different SKUs.

It sure would be interesting to see what's done with it using that nice big waveguide!

Any 2 ways or 3 ways designs using that waveguide in the DIY community yet?
Old 15th October 2012, 03:45 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I had an issue with email, but found that he is very busy and for the most part he has been great in every respect, so I don't understand. Maybe he is at a audio fest.

Also, I think he gets a lot of emails as he had missed a few of mine, so I would keep it up. Most of the drivers, particularly my Triton was shipped from Meniscus Audio in the States, not Canada.

Good luck!
Yeah he sent me to Jeff then Meniscus and then back again. After about 20 emails and three parties I had yet to get the bloody centers...

Until you emailed me them!

REALLY TURNED ME OFF MAN...

I guess it was late summer though and they were busy running around with family and out of town relatives or something and were in a bad mood as some email I perceived as RUDE.

Some emails even felt surly and could be perceived as being rude actually and I'm still somewhat turned off and apprehensive after all of it man...

Like I said I guess I have to buy the ******* drivers/kit to get service/front baffle centers. Or run into a stranger on this forum to get the info right!

Totally bizarre way to do business IMHO. Offer a kit with docs that don't show the baffle driver centers and then sent potential customer to Jeff, then Jeff's like I dunno Justin... call the dude I sold the speaker to... useless... then email Miniscus... nothing... more emails...snappy rude retorts about it...

BIZARRE and I hope you guys are LISTENING and pull heads out of ____.

Last edited by HiroPro; 15th October 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 15th October 2012, 04:03 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroPro View Post
Yeah he sent me to Jeff then Meniscus and then back again. After about 20 emails and three parties I had yet to get the bloody centers...

Until you emailed me them!

REALLY TURNED ME OFF MAN...

I guess it was late summer though and they were busy running around with family and out of town relatives or something and were in a bad mood as some email I perceived as RUDE.

Some emails even felt surly and could be perceived as being rude actually and I'm still somewhat turned off and apprehensive after all of it man...

Like I said I guess I have to buy the ******* drivers/kit to get service/front baffle centers. Or run into a stranger on this forum to get the info right!

Totally bizarre way to do business IMHO. Offer a kit with docs that don't show the baffle driver centers and then sent potential customer to Jeff, then Jeff's like I dunno Justin... call the dude I sold the speaker to... useless... then email Miniscus... nothing... more emails...snappy rude retorts about it...

BIZARRE and I hope you guys are LISTENING and pull heads out of ____.
Sorry about that man, I had a friend cut those for me. Did not want to buy a router and guide for 1 pair of speakers. I also saw how tricky cutting can be too.

I did point that out to Bob and he said he would add the measurements to the specs. But, you have them now, so get cutting!!!
Old 15th October 2012, 04:25 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sorry about that man, I had a friend cut those for me. Did not want to buy a router and guide for 1 pair of speakers. I also saw how tricky cutting can be too.

I did point that out to Bob and he said he would add the measurements to the specs. But, you have them now, so get cutting!!!
I'm nuts about fit so I'll wait until I get the drivers to put a caliper on them.

Hey checkout this nice speaker jig though it is plastic but Jasper has new "pro" models that are polycarbonate and "indestructible".

Jasper Tools

For a router I'm getting a new one that's a Makita called the 1101. I've heard nothing but good things about the 1101 models and the plunger base.

Sorry for the rants ehh... I just reread the emails and some were surly for sure so with that in mind I composed the rants...

LOL

I had to get it off my chest.

PS my guess is out of town summer vacation relatives driving them NUTS! LOL IE timing and no intent to be rude... LOL

Last edited by HiroPro; 15th October 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 15th October 2012, 04:46 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroPro View Post
I'm nuts about fit so I'll wait until I get the drivers to put a caliper on them.

Hey checkout this nice speaker jig though it is plastic but Jasper has new "pro" models that are polycarbonate and "indestructible".

Jasper Tools

For a router I'm getting a new one that's a Makita called the 1101. I've heard nothing but good things about the 1101 models and the plunger base.

Sorry for the rants ehh... I just reread the emails and some were surly for sure so with that in mind I composed the rants...

LOL

I had to get it off my chest.

PS my guess is out of town summer vacation relatives driving them NUTS! LOL IE timing and no intent to be rude... LOL
Those are nice jigs no doubt, I wil check 'em out.

Well, then, let's get the assembly line going and get DIYing buddy!

Waiting to hear from Tux!
Old 15th October 2012, 05:01 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Woods art, I couldn't pm you back.

HiroPro, I wouldn't rear mount it. I think the waveguide version comes with the faceplate if you wanted to flush mount it. But I don't know for sure. The two supplied to me by Planet10 had faceplates that came off.

Planet10 might make the kit I'm working on available. I don't know. I've avoided using any non-commercial use software just in case not. If its a public design, great. I think it will be, but the woofer we're using is becoming extinct, so it's not a simple answer. I still have the setting for an active design using a silver flute 8" woofer, but IMO that's much to inferior woofer. I'd like to pair it with a 8" SB Acoustics personally. Or a Seas L18 or something. Maybe even a Dayton RS225. In a tower that would make insane bass. Output from 30 to 20 I like that idea.
Old 15th October 2012, 06:09 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:

HiroPro, I wouldn't rear mount it. I think the waveguide version comes with the faceplate if you wanted to flush mount it. But I don't know for sure. The two supplied to me by Planet10 had faceplates that came off.

Planet10 might make the kit I'm working on available. I don't know. I've avoided using any non-commercial use software just in case not. If its a public design, great. I think it will be, but the woofer we're using is becoming extinct, so it's not a simple answer. I still have the setting for an active design using a silver flute 8" woofer, but IMO that's much to inferior woofer. I'd like to pair it with a 8" SB Acoustics personally. Or a Seas L18 or something. Maybe even a Dayton RS225. In a tower that would make insane bass. Output from 30 to 20 I like that idea.
That sounds like a nice solution that could take on the stuff from JTR and Seaton in an active xover DSP plate amp solution.

On a commercial potential level both JTR and Seaton do very well with those products from what I've seen and people pay big bucks for those quasi PA/pro audio speakers. Most consumers have never heard such dynamics as pro gear so those products really blow away these people even though they use a coaxial mid/tweet that personally I don't like from B&C.

Last edited by HiroPro; 15th October 2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 15th October 2012, 06:16 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Did you have to brace the tweeter at the end of the waveguide? I take it the guide takes the weight of the tweeter and it's the flange on the waveguide that holds the entire assembly to the front baffle.

How beefy is the plastic on that waveguide?

Hide this!Advertise here!