"The CSS 'Next Generation' High Resolution 'Triton' Kit" designed by Jeff Bagby - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2012, 03:28 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW View Post
Yes the LDX25 has the rising response.
I believe ya have another set of crossovers coming your way....I could be wrong but thoughts so.

The rising response of the tweeter, place a 1.3uf cap across the tweeter terminal.Simple just remove the tweeters and solder the 1.3uf cap to the positive and negative wire for the tweeter.Then reconnect the wires to the tweeter.
Then LMK what ya think.
Woe........Mr R, take it slow, I am not the genius you are!!!

I need more detail with that, since these are my first crossovers I am still green under the ears. You can pm me if necessary. What does a 2.3uf cap look like?

And yes, Bob is suppose to send an upgraded set for the Tritons. I am anxious to play with those. I still love these speakers, they just seem to improve with age.

Thank you sir!

Robert
Old 9th October 2012, 03:41 AM   #22
RAW is offline RAW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Robert
The 1.3uf cap is what you would like.You may get a pair from Bob at CSS.The 1.3uf is what is needed and the 1.5uf capacitor is to much.Talk to Bob.
Or just wait and have a listen to the other crossovers I designed.Bob is sending ya these crossover parts.
The crossovers I designed use less parts and tame the rising frequency response of the tweeter.
Old 9th October 2012, 03:47 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Robert
The 1.3uf cap is what you would like.You may get a pair from Bob at CSS.The 1.3uf is what is needed and the 1.5uf capacitor is to much.Talk to Bob.
Or just wait and have a listen to the other crossovers I designed.Bob is sending ya these crossover parts.
The crossovers I designed use less parts and tame the rising frequency response of the tweeter.
Very good RAW, then I will wait for Bob. Thanks, for your response, the kits look very promising, I want to do one more build, so hopefully one of these will work.

Don't know much about the Motus though. I know I love the Seas products.
Old 9th October 2012, 08:47 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes the LDX25 has the rising response.
I believe ya have another set of crossovers coming your way....I could be wrong but thoughts so.

The rising response of the tweeter, place a 1.3uf cap across the tweeter terminal.Simple just remove the tweeters and solder the 1.3uf cap to the positive and negative wire for the tweeter.Then reconnect the wires to the tweeter.
Then LMK what ya think.
Regardless of the tweeter's natural response, the Triton has been designed to be very flat. If someone wants to roll-down the top end, I guess that would be their personal preference, but it certainly isn't because I designed it with a significant rising response.

Here's a plot no one else would show of their speaker, because everyone wants to show the most flattering graphs possible. But let's be real for a moment. Here's 1 Meter on the tweeter axis, in my family room, on a 26" stand, with no smoothing, and a 13mSec gate time window.

Click the image to open in full size.

I assure you most speakers don't look this flat under the same conditions, but I don't see any reason to equalize the treble here.

Jeff
Old 9th October 2012, 09:22 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hi Jeff,

I'm Ryan from over on TT.

Thanks for posting this. It looks like the MTM arrangement really helps block floor and ceiling reflections down to around 250hz. Have I interpreted that right. If so, that's awesome. The more I ponder MTM after my iron driver entry the more I think it's a good way to go. Would love to build this into a WMTMW with some CSS woofers like the (now gone) SDX7 or something. Or maybe my Trio 12s. That would be quite something.

I've been working on an SDX7 combo with the LD25x in one of Dave Pelletrenes waveguides. That's a tough one for MTM because of the size of the guide though.

Anyways, nice design.
Old 9th October 2012, 09:41 PM   #26
RAW is offline RAW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Jeff.
After testing several of the tweeters I can say they have a rising response. The ldx25 rises well past 25 k starting at 10 k and with a Lpad the over all rise can be a issue with those people who still have good upper oct hearing. The shunt cap like this also works for ribbons that have a rising response as well.

But other than that the design works well. I measured your design in the pe cabinets . With praxis. Nothing against the design at all but adding this cap does just as I said it will without any other issue..
Old 10th October 2012, 03:25 AM   #27
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

It's a Curv cone.

Coustic used them on subwoofers probably 10-12 years back.
Old 11th October 2012, 03:40 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

I agree Al, there is nothing wrong with these Tritons, Jeff, I am still loving them and discovering every day how magical they are.

Everytime I take a listen to Pure Direct mode with the Marantz, I am captivated with Songs that I have heard many times before and have skipped, now sounding simply stunning.

Having hardwoods with a medium size area rug in front, I would think reflections would be an issue, but after the post....if in fact it is what it is....I can understand why that is not an issue with the room.

Small or large room doesn't matter the Tritons fill it up with a bold clear sound.
Old 15th October 2012, 12:38 AM   #29
HiroPro is offline HiroPro  Canada
diyAudio Member

I don't get this...

Is there a second xover design Bob is sending you woodstart or are you just talking about RAW placing a shut cap on the tweeter?

I'd love to see a schematic of the newer xover to see what changes were made.
Old 15th October 2012, 01:41 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroPro View Post
I don't get this...

Is there a second xover design Bob is sending you woodstart or are you just talking about RAW placing a shut cap on the tweeter?

I'd love to see a schematic of the newer xover to see what changes were made.
Yes, a cap and new crossover to experiment with. I sent you an email buddy.

Hide this!Advertise here!