"The CSS 'Next Generation' High Resolution 'Triton' Kit" designed by Jeff Bagby - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2012, 09:58 PM   #11
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I have PCD 2007 (great stuff!) and don't see any jpeg artifacts in the diagrams. Maybe a little fuzziness from a resize on the text. Nothing bad at all. What did I miss?
Old 29th September 2012, 10:03 PM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Only the earlier versions run on my Mac, the images you see Michael, might well be the original gifs i saved out for Jeff.

dave
Old 29th September 2012, 10:10 PM   #13
RAW is offline RAW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Jeff
Good design I just tested the design for Bob in the parts express cabinets, for those who would go that direction.

No change needed to the crossover that Jeff designed it works..
Old 29th September 2012, 10:11 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Nice job on them robert.
Old 29th September 2012, 10:40 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
(for Wilson-Benech?)
Indeed Dave, for WB. They called it their tactic driver/cone/technology iirc. Woven poly, that is then heated in a specific way and then cooled so that part of the poly becomes far stiffer whilst retaining the materials self damping characteristics. At least that's the way I remembering it being spun in a review I read way back.
Old 29th September 2012, 11:59 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Jeff,

I think perhaps the origin of those driver representations & parts has just faded from your mind. That is my generic bass driver & tweeter drawing (nowdays i usually draw something closer to the real thing -- snapshots below just taken from my CAD files). It was what i used for the drawings i did for your 1st passive XO design SS software (late 2001 & early 2002) and for the earlier this article on TLS.org. I guess you have been using them over and over again, and each time saved as a jpg more noise added.

I misspoke when i said it was my EL166 XO revised (i did representitive drawings for that), i can now see the origins going back mush further than that -- sorry about that.

If you have been jpging all your drawings as much as this one, you should be embarrased by their quality, it is not commensurate with the quality of your XO & speaker design prowess. Just look at all the noise around the text. A drawing like this should always be saved as a gif or png. You have not been kind to the originals.

dave
Yes, you are right. I was going to tell you that I built my "crossover schematic builder" out of the gifs that you made for me about in, I think, 2002. It simply pieces the little parts together to make the schematics I draw. It is pretty crude, but I thought it was OK for what I was using it for. I know there are real programs for doing this out there now, but I just kept playing around with my own little spreadsheet, since I had it working for me. Normally, I save them as gifs, but for some people they like me to send them jpgs. I'm not using them over and over again like copies of copies though, it doesn't work like that. As for being embarassed, I would only be embarassed if the speakers didn't sound good . The drawing itself isn't really what I am all about.

Did you ever do anything with those D21's I sent you years ago?

Jeff
Old 30th September 2012, 01:26 AM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
Did you ever do anything with those D21's I sent you years ago?
Sort of. I passed them on to a friend who built a nice set of stand mounts

dave
Old 30th September 2012, 04:02 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
This is the second polycone D'Appolito design (aka as MTM to the those sadly addicted to obfuscating acronyms) we have seen at this forum in a couple of days. And very nice it is too. This time a small one (< 20 liters) suitable for small rooms I reckon, and having a PROPER crossover and evidently very uncoloured and low distortion. Any whining about bass performance misses the point I'd reckon.

2x 5" CSS VWR126X polycone bassmid and the CSS fabric LD25X tweeter. Whole drive unit and crossover kit available at CSS: Creative Sound Solutions - Loudspeakers, Parts and DIY Speaker Kits

Naturally the review is incomplete for me without a schematic and frequency response, so I'll save you some legwork. Beats me why there is a 0.47uF/0.25mH tank at 14kHz on the bass filter...but I'd trust Jeff Bagby's reasons...
For common folk, uneducated in the D'Appolito Theory....A Geometric Approach to Eliminating Lobing Error in Multiway Loudspeakers, (had to look that up), I can proudly say that I am glady addicted to this midsize monitor suitable for large rooms. Why, because it is in a 20' X 24' 9' room and performs as a large tower!

At normal listening level, I can hear it clearly and loudly from room to room. I guess I have to say this again, the bass is astounding, I really have to say that Jeff, I think something magic is happening here. I wish someone could explain it to me.

As I mentioned before I have a DIY Servo sub and I know what it sounds like and I sware I am hearing it. Doesn't make any sense I know. I constantly get up and see if the center and height speakers are on as the wide range CSS woofers just keep on dumbfounding me while listening to 2 channel, not to mention the excellent detail.

Thanks, RAW, I need to re-sand the cabinets one more time.

If any of you are familiar with the Philharmonic Speakers by Dennis Murphy. These are my 2 channel/theater along with the Philhacenter that Dennis was producing, but with the shrinking space with the additional new furniture, they would not work there any more, thus a smaller narrower tower and that is why I chose the Tritons to replace them. With all the information and reviews, I knew I couldn't go wrong even in a large room.

RockLeeEV, I highly recommend the LD25X tweeter. Never heard the other one, but this is a "gem" indeed as Jeff mentioned. It certainly has stopped me looking further.

Thanks!
Old 9th October 2012, 03:10 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Curious, does anyone find the LD25X sounding bright?

Thanks!
Old 9th October 2012, 03:15 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Yes the LDX25 has the rising response.
I believe ya have another set of crossovers coming your way....I could be wrong but thoughts so.

The rising response of the tweeter, place a 1.3uf cap across the tweeter terminal.Simple just remove the tweeters and solder the 1.3uf cap to the positive and negative wire for the tweeter.Then reconnect the wires to the tweeter.
Then LMK what ya think.

Hide this!Advertise here!