"The CSS 'Next Generation' High Resolution 'Triton' Kit" designed by Jeff Bagby

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think Bob and Al are still tweaking the Single fold TL. As far as I know Al is currently working on the 3 way.

I am waiting to hear too, but only Bob would know the progress.

I have begun the Triton MLTL and the baffles should be done next week.

Yes Al is still working on the TL with waveguide design.Then the same driver layout using the LDX25 in the custom wave guide plu the Motus woofer.

The 3 way is coming soon.Good designs do not come quick;)

With the wave guides a lot of devil is in the details.Depending on how the waveguide is assembled to the tweeter the frequency response as well as impedance changes A LOT. Another words I have to make matched tweeters, waveguides assembled measured and matched.At this point getting close to 200 drivers tested and 12-14 waveguides.

So really the design has started but I have to make a tweeter first:wchair::(;):D

Did you read the review, the bass is surprising and acceptable for 2 channel listening. Jeff's special crossover design works magic there. Not a "helluva lot of bass" as you said from these, but as I said huge sound super high quality sounding drivers. I have other speakers with plenty of bass without a sub.

For me and the movies we watch one servo is sufficient, but I enjoy music without one on most songs. The tweeter is what caught my eye/ear and the upper end can break the whole design, but these are prestine and suit my listening at any level. In fact they play loud and the depth is astonishing, very bold, detailed and clear. I won't listen to headphones, (mainly can't affort 1K ones), car radios, traditional store bought desk top speakers, etc. etc.

No, I don't like them......I love them :D.....have you ever heard the Philharmonics?

Vandersteen's are great speakers as many, many others, but I wanted to DIY a pair myself for fun, of course 600, is a bit, but in the end the tritons were worth their money. I wasn't looking for huge bass anyway. It can be distracting and overpowering and damage one's eardrums...LOL.

And the woofers are small, but just goes to show ya, size doesn't always matter! Big sound can come in small packages.

Thanks, for your input and suggestion!

In the picture it appears the bass port is at the lower end of the enclosure, which means both drivers are not equidistant from the port, i do not favor this setup, it will lead to uneven loading and poor sounding bass ...

Mr. a.wayne,

I assume you are talking about the Triton MTMs as I am currently working on a new version of this in an MLTL designed by Jim Griffin details are here.....

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/226173-triton-mtm-grows-legs-mltl-design.html

I have built them (in case you didn't notice), and the bass is good to my ears. I do not know much about speaker design and this is the second build I have done. One before was a servo sub.

The comments and reviews about this great build by Jeff Bagby are very positive by some of the best home DIY guys out there. Even though I am new in this DIY process, my ears are not, not at all. I have owned and still own Dennis Murphy's Philharmonitor IIs and the Philharmonic II towers as well as the center. Also he built the DIY design CAOW2's for me. I have auditioned many other great speakers as well.

These Tritons are some of the best detailed speakers I have ever heard. The bass is as solid as it comes just not as much as most would like, thus the MTLT.

I just introduced into my collection the Marantz PM8003 2 channel amp and the Tritons just seem to shine more, the bass is just more solid and bolder than before.

You obviously know more about the design of speakers than I do, but, if you get a chance down the road, please listen to them, you might think differently.:)

But poor sounding bass, not a chance!!!:confused:

In the picture it appears the bass port is at the lower end of the enclosure, which means both drivers are not equidistant from the port, i do not favor this setup, it will lead to uneven loading and poor sounding bass ...

That's not correct. It is a vented box and there is a single resonance frequency as there can only be in a design like this - in addition the pressurization notch is the same for both drivers. There is no uneven loading, nor can there be in this type of enclosure. The helmholtz resonance is applied to the air compliance inside the box. This air is evenly distributed and applies pressure against both drivers in exactly the same way. The relative locations of the drivers will not change this.

Jeff B.

That's not correct. It is a vented box and there is a single resonance frequency as there can only be in a design like this - in addition the pressurization notch is the same for both drivers. There is no uneven loading, nor can there be in this type of enclosure. The helmholtz resonance is applied to the air compliance inside the box. This air is evenly distributed and applies pressure against both drivers in exactly the same way. The relative locations of the drivers will not change this.

Jeff B.

Thanks, Jeff for clearing that up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.