"The CSS 'Next Generation' High Resolution 'Triton' Kit" designed by Jeff Bagby

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah the OPPO, in my opinion does a great job, I can really tell from the Panasonic player. But the Marantz is superb as it is not as SS, but warm like a tube. But not enough to make the PHil2s shine, though. As you said not enough power. Most I know drive them....particularly the 3s with 200-300wpc.

And, yes, I had others, like the XPA-5, but too clinical for me and big and heavy. So I had to make a decision as the WAF in that room is significantly important. I want a pre, but the room is the issue, but I am working on that though.

Those are some good suggestions and I will keep them in mind, but the Tritons love the Marantz.:p

Are you using the AVR or the Oppo as the converter?

I had an issue with email, but found that he is very busy and for the most part he has been great in every respect, so I don't understand. Maybe he is at a audio fest.

Also, I think he gets a lot of emails as he had missed a few of mine, so I would keep it up. Most of the drivers, particularly my Triton was shipped from Meniscus Audio in the States, not Canada.

Good luck!

HiroPro, I have quite a few measurements and details for both the flush mounted and waveguide mounted version of this tweeter. It's all posted in the CSS subforum in the commercial area. Do a search for my name. I'm not affiliated with CSS, however that makes you feel about them. I also posted some info in the very last post of the waveguide development thread over on parts express tech talk. I have more work to do with the waveguide build.

There is a little peak in the top octave. It's likely breaking up a bit up there. It cancels off axis far enough. But I chatted with bikinpunk punk about it and he didn't get that. So who knows.

Regarding the flush mount or waveguide. Can you purchase the waveguide model and remove the flange/guide and use it as a flush? How about rear mounting on the flush model?

I guess the waveguide/flange on the regular guided version is prob soldered to the basket/motor housing so they are two different SKUs.

It sure would be interesting to see what's done with it using that nice big waveguide!

Any 2 ways or 3 ways designs using that waveguide in the DIY community yet?

I had an issue with email, but found that he is very busy and for the most part he has been great in every respect, so I don't understand. Maybe he is at a audio fest.

Also, I think he gets a lot of emails as he had missed a few of mine, so I would keep it up. Most of the drivers, particularly my Triton was shipped from Meniscus Audio in the States, not Canada.

Good luck!

Yeah he sent me to Jeff then Meniscus and then back again. After about 20 emails and three parties I had yet to get the bloody centers...

Until you emailed me them!

REALLY TURNED ME OFF MAN...

I guess it was late summer though and they were busy running around with family and out of town relatives or something and were in a bad mood as some email I perceived as RUDE.

Some emails even felt surly and could be perceived as being rude actually and I'm still somewhat turned off and apprehensive after all of it man...

Like I said I guess I have to buy the ******* drivers/kit to get service/front baffle centers. Or run into a stranger on this forum to get the info right!

Totally bizarre way to do business IMHO. Offer a kit with docs that don't show the baffle driver centers and then sent potential customer to Jeff, then Jeff's like I dunno Justin... call the dude I sold the speaker to... useless... then email Miniscus... nothing... more emails...snappy rude retorts about it...

BIZARRE and I hope you guys are LISTENING and pull heads out of ____.

Last edited:
Yeah he sent me to Jeff then Meniscus and then back again. After about 20 emails and three parties I had yet to get the bloody centers...

Until you emailed me them!

REALLY TURNED ME OFF MAN...

I guess it was late summer though and they were busy running around with family and out of town relatives or something and were in a bad mood as some email I perceived as RUDE.

Some emails even felt surly and could be perceived as being rude actually and I'm still somewhat turned off and apprehensive after all of it man...

Like I said I guess I have to buy the ******* drivers/kit to get service/front baffle centers. Or run into a stranger on this forum to get the info right!

Totally bizarre way to do business IMHO. Offer a kit with docs that don't show the baffle driver centers and then sent potential customer to Jeff, then Jeff's like I dunno Justin... call the dude I sold the speaker to... useless... then email Miniscus... nothing... more emails...snappy rude retorts about it...

BIZARRE and I hope you guys are LISTENING and pull heads out of ____.

Sorry about that man, I had a friend cut those for me. Did not want to buy a router and guide for 1 pair of speakers. I also saw how tricky cutting can be too.

I did point that out to Bob and he said he would add the measurements to the specs. But, you have them now, so get cutting!!!

Sorry about that man, I had a friend cut those for me. Did not want to buy a router and guide for 1 pair of speakers. I also saw how tricky cutting can be too.

I did point that out to Bob and he said he would add the measurements to the specs. But, you have them now, so get cutting!!!

I'm nuts about fit so I'll wait until I get the drivers to put a caliper on them.

Hey checkout this nice speaker jig though it is plastic but Jasper has new "pro" models that are polycarbonate and "indestructible".

Jasper Tools

For a router I'm getting a new one that's a Makita called the 1101. I've heard nothing but good things about the 1101 models and the plunger base.

Sorry for the rants ehh... I just reread the emails and some were surly for sure so with that in mind I composed the rants...

LOL

I had to get it off my chest.

PS my guess is out of town summer vacation relatives driving them NUTS! LOL IE timing and no intent to be rude... LOL

Last edited:
I'm nuts about fit so I'll wait until I get the drivers to put a caliper on them.

Hey checkout this nice speaker jig though it is plastic but Jasper has new "pro" models that are polycarbonate and "indestructible".

Jasper Tools

For a router I'm getting a new one that's a Makita called the 1101. I've heard nothing but good things about the 1101 models and the plunger base.

Sorry for the rants ehh... I just reread the emails and some were surly for sure so with that in mind I composed the rants...

LOL

I had to get it off my chest.

PS my guess is out of town summer vacation relatives driving them NUTS! LOL IE timing and no intent to be rude... LOL

Those are nice jigs no doubt, I wil check 'em out.

Well, then, let's get the assembly line going and get DIYing buddy!

Waiting to hear from Tux!

Woods art, I couldn't pm you back.

HiroPro, I wouldn't rear mount it. I think the waveguide version comes with the faceplate if you wanted to flush mount it. But I don't know for sure. The two supplied to me by Planet10 had faceplates that came off.

Planet10 might make the kit I'm working on available. I don't know. I've avoided using any non-commercial use software just in case not. If its a public design, great. I think it will be, but the woofer we're using is becoming extinct, so it's not a simple answer. I still have the setting for an active design using a silver flute 8" woofer, but IMO that's much to inferior woofer. I'd like to pair it with a 8" SB Acoustics personally. Or a Seas L18 or something. Maybe even a Dayton RS225. In a tower that would make insane bass. Output from 30 to 20 :eek: I like that idea.

HiroPro, I wouldn't rear mount it. I think the waveguide version comes with the faceplate if you wanted to flush mount it. But I don't know for sure. The two supplied to me by Planet10 had faceplates that came off.

Planet10 might make the kit I'm working on available. I don't know. I've avoided using any non-commercial use software just in case not. If its a public design, great. I think it will be, but the woofer we're using is becoming extinct, so it's not a simple answer. I still have the setting for an active design using a silver flute 8" woofer, but IMO that's much to inferior woofer. I'd like to pair it with a 8" SB Acoustics personally. Or a Seas L18 or something. Maybe even a Dayton RS225. In a tower that would make insane bass. Output from 30 to 20 :eek: I like that idea.

That sounds like a nice solution that could take on the stuff from JTR and Seaton in an active xover DSP plate amp solution.

On a commercial potential level both JTR and Seaton do very well with those products from what I've seen and people pay big bucks for those quasi PA/pro audio speakers. Most consumers have never heard such dynamics as pro gear so those products really blow away these people even though they use a coaxial mid/tweet that personally I don't like from B&C.

Last edited:

Did you have to brace the tweeter at the end of the waveguide? I take it the guide takes the weight of the tweeter and it's the flange on the waveguide that holds the entire assembly to the front baffle.

How beefy is the plastic on that waveguide?

Those are nice jigs no doubt, I wil check 'em out.

Well, then, let's get the assembly line going and get DIYing buddy!

Waiting to hear from Tux!

Yeah those jigs are the best for speaker building.

If you order get the "pro" models made out of better polycarbonate as the older ones are known to break and crack on you.

I think it's only about ten bucks more a jig for the better plastic.

Yes the LDX25 has the rising response.
I believe ya have another set of crossovers coming your way....I could be wrong but thoughts so.

The rising response of the tweeter, place a 1.3uf cap across the tweeter terminal.Simple just remove the tweeters and solder the 1.3uf cap to the positive and negative wire for the tweeter.Then reconnect the wires to the tweeter.
Then LMK what ya think.

I'm curious if this shut cap is used in your newer designed xover or the VX2 kits and if you have a woofer notch like Jeff's xover.

The VX2 will be a big hit as it's even better form factor and WAF than the Tritons.

Is the newer xover 3rd order?

I'm just a novice and I don't quite understand d'appolito and affects of 3rd and 4th order on lobing etc.

I've read that "proper" MTM d'appolito uses a 3B and some say 4th order LR isn't the way to design the xover for this driver geometry.

All this is way over my head as I'm just a kit builder at this point.

I assume the xover is an improvement considering your history with Bob etc and technical skills.

Are you also in BC RAW?

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Planet10 might make the kit I'm working on available. I don't know. I've avoided using any non-commercial use software just in case not. If its a public design, great.

You can order the tweeter with the standard bezel attached or loose. You would order the loose one if you are also getting the waveguide.

The XO that Ryan is developing for the SDX7/waveguided tweeter will be public. Given the limited number of available SDX7 it will mostly be of use as an example, or for those with SDX7 in their closet. The pairing makes a very compact system, which is very good, even with the rough edges that the current mules have (i have to build a version with dedicated parts and no alligator clips -- those alone could be responsible)

Hiro, the copper dustcap was intended to provide continuity with the FR125 & the SDX7. By itself i think i'd prefer silver of black.

Where exactly are you? Sounds like you are close by ... particularily if the 50km is west of Bob.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Did you have to brace the tweeter at the end of the waveguide? I take it the guide takes the weight of the tweeter and it's the flange on the waveguide that holds the entire assembly to the front baffle.

How beefy is the plastic on that waveguide?

With the neo magnet, the tweeter itself is quite lite. Ours is currently attached with green painter's tape (so that i can esaily remove to EnABL). I have no issues with the tweeter hanging on the end of the waveguide. I do plan on at least one coat of Silent Running SR1000 on the back of the waveguide to stiffen & damp it.

dave

PS: it is unlike Bob to be non-responsive

Update and apologies

Hi,

Without going into details I want to apologize where incomplete or incorrect info has been published and where I have not received email or not responded to email I received.

There are some further updates to the Triton manual coming but the current version shows the driver spacing.

The VX.1 and VX.2 manuals are under construction and I will release them as soon as possible.

Al is working on the Motus/Waveguide TL (two different crossover configurations if they work out), then a 3 way TL (Motus, VWR126X, LD25X) and then the 2 way Motus/Waveguide ported stand mount.

We're also looking at some TL designs for the VWR126X.

Thanks for you patient and forgiving support.
Bob

Hi,

Without going into details I want to apologize where incomplete or incorrect info has been published and where I have not received email or not responded to email I received.

There are some further updates to the Triton manual coming but the current version shows the driver spacing.

The VX.1 and VX.2 manuals are under construction and I will release them as soon as possible.

Al is working on the Motus/Waveguide TL (two different crossover configurations if they work out), then a 3 way TL (Motus, VWR126X, LD25X) and then the 2 way Motus/Waveguide ported stand mount.

We're also looking at some TL designs for the VWR126X.

Thanks for you patient and forgiving support.
Bob

Great to hear from you Bob, glad you and everything else is ok. Looks like you are quite busy, can't wait to get results from the new combos.

Still lovin my Tritons!:D

Thanks!:)

You can order the tweeter with the standard bezel attached or loose. You would order the loose one if you are also getting the waveguide.

The XO that Ryan is developing for the SDX7/waveguided tweeter will be public. Given the limited number of available SDX7 it will mostly be of use as an example, or for those with SDX7 in their closet. The pairing makes a very compact system, which is very good, even with the rough edges that the current mules have (i have to build a version with dedicated parts and no alligator clips -- those alone could be responsible)

Hiro, the copper dustcap was intended to provide continuity with the FR125 & the SDX7. By itself i think i'd prefer silver of black.

Where exactly are you? Sounds like you are close by ... particularily if the 50km is west of Bob.

dave

I'm in the Gulf Islands.

Bob is a great guy it seems and has got back to me. I'm sure it was just summer vacation madness that let me fall through the cracks.

It's sure great you are all local Canuckleheads!

I guess you guys attended that Vancouver DIY GTG up on the Mallihat?

Damn I missed out on it this year.

With the neo magnet, the tweeter itself is quite lite. Ours is currently attached with green painter's tape (so that i can esaily remove to EnABL). I have no issues with the tweeter hanging on the end of the waveguide. I do plan on at least one coat of Silent Running SR1000 on the back of the waveguide to stiffen & damp it.

dave

PS: it is unlike Bob to be non-responsive

Doh! I forgot about the neo magnet. Yeah it must be light. If painter tape holds it then it must be amazingly light.

I don't think the pictures do the justice to the quality though I don't know yet as I have yet to get it in hand.

It's a shame that when the mold was made for the waveguide that they didn't put mounting points for a tweeter flange or something to that affect.

Do you have a picture of this waveguide showing the rear where a tweet is mounted?

BTW thanks for responding and sharing all this info!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I guess you guys attended that Vancouver DIY GTG up on the Mallahat?

Vancouver Island diyFEST... a Vancouver one would be a ferry ride away in Canada :D

Hard for me to miss it, it is at my place. Not really on the Malahat, but one of the turn-offs to get there is at the start near Victoria.

If you ever take the ferry this direction i'd be happy to have you drop up.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.