P.Audio 12 coax in 3-way - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Draki is offline Draki  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Default P.Audio 12 coax in 3-way

I may get a pair of P.Audio P.Audio Coaxial Speakers - P.Audio BM12CXHA coaxial 12" speaker - P.Audio BM12CXHA 300 watt 12" coaxial speaker for all full range applications. P.Audio BM12CXHA 12" coaxial and other P.Audio coaxial speakers here. 12" coaxials.
The project would be OB with either 2X12 (Peerless SLS12, Beyma 12BR70 or similar) or 1X15 (or 2x15 - something from Eminence, Beta or Delta).
Passive xo for the coax, active with DEQ and DCX for the bass mid at ca 200-250 Hz. Various amps, possibly tubes or low-wattage SS for the coax, class-D Hypex for the bass.
Could anyone comment on this particular PAudio driver? Is any other PAudio coax model better suited for such home system?
Seeing that many of you are leaning toward hi efficiency pro drivers recently, I got "infected"....
Thanks in advance for any comments.

Draki
Old 27th September 2012, 04:30 PM   #2
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Looks like a good driver for the price, considering it comes with its own HF driver. I believe this might be the BM-D440, which I own a pair of, they are nice enough.

AFAIK, the Eminence Alpha 15A is the one most people seem to use on OB. You really want high Qts here.

IG
Old 27th September 2012, 04:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks IG
I am concerned (not having a first hand experience with horn loaded tweeters) about the suitability in a home environment - read close, 2 or 3 m listening distance. Somehow I imagine that horns -or is CD in this case? - throw the sound further away and one needs to be at some distance to get the sound picture snap-in. Or am I wrong?
Regarding the bass I am aware of the needs for an OB bass (I have Emi Delta 15LFA in another system and it works just fine). For this project I was aiming at narrower front -for aesthetics only- hence the 12" basses. But may revert to 15 - reuse the above Delta 15LFA and maybe add another for two per side, considering the very high efficiency of the PAudio coax. I am almost scared of those numbers (in dB) having lived with "normal" speakers so far, of 85 to 90 dB. Aren't those high 90 or even 100 dBs an overkill? Like I said, never had the experience in home use with such drivers, but then it seems many here are strongly in their favor so there must be something about it....
Old 1st October 2012, 10:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Draki,

You may be interested to see how Danny Richie at GR-Research started his V-line of ob: High sensitivity, open baffle, single ended lovers dream speaker... .

/Erling
Old 1st October 2012, 11:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Erling

I found the GR project in the meantime and it looks exactly like what I had in mind.
I have ordered these woofers (on sale for 35$/each for 4 pcs): MCM Audio Select 12'' Die Cast Professional Woofer - 350W RMS | 55-2982 (552982) | MCM Audio Select

There were some postive comments of MCM woofers here (I remember Sreten' post about those 12" in an earlier thread), some negative in that they may be off spec (depending on the production lot?). I keep my fingers crossed. Also many commented that the actual Qts and Vas of MCM woofers in practice is higher than spec'ed, which in fact could be an advantage for an OB.... One thing is for sure, they look like they are very solidly made.

rgds Draki

Last edited by Draki; 1st October 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 1st October 2012, 03:44 PM   #6
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draki View Post
Thanks IG
I am concerned (not having a first hand experience with horn loaded tweeters) about the suitability in a home environment - read close, 2 or 3 m listening distance. Somehow I imagine that horns -or is CD in this case? - throw the sound further away and one needs to be at some distance to get the sound picture snap-in. Or am I wrong?
Regarding the bass I am aware of the needs for an OB bass (I have Emi Delta 15LFA in another system and it works just fine). For this project I was aiming at narrower front -for aesthetics only- hence the 12" basses. But may revert to 15 - reuse the above Delta 15LFA and maybe add another for two per side, considering the very high efficiency of the PAudio coax. I am almost scared of those numbers (in dB) having lived with "normal" speakers so far, of 85 to 90 dB. Aren't those high 90 or even 100 dBs an overkill? Like I said, never had the experience in home use with such drivers, but then it seems many here are strongly in their favor so there must be something about it....
"Throw distance", depends on the system design AFAIK. As I understand it, it's often more of a concern with regards to proper meshing of the wavefronts from two spatially separated sources. A coaxial point-source might be about as good as you can get for home IMO. The crossover will be the critical element here though.

I would really love to go for a coaxial driver in my next project, been itching me for a while!

IG

Hide this!Advertise here!