New drivers for my 2-way boxes - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2012, 06:03 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Dissi, now I remember why I avoided ribbon tweeters (it's been years since I did any speaker projects) I also realize that my original 6 dB/octave cross on the woofers was a mistake. It did cause some issues, so I will go with 12dB/octave.
I've been looking at tweeters (mostly dome) and several have smaller mounting size, so I will have to add an "adapter plate" to my 3 inch cutout. Should I put this on front or behind cutout? If behind, should I flair the cutout? I like the idea of the tweeter being recessed a bit. What about cutting the end off a flaired port and adding this as a sort of horn to front of tweeter (would also look nice, but that's not my main goal) I'm not after perfection... but want to avoid any major issues. Maybe just choose a horn loaded dome that fits my cutout?
Old 29th September 2012, 07:53 PM   #12
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Maybe you should listen to the advise already given. Half baked crossovers
and a random tweeters won't remotely work half as well as the crossovers
and tweeters already described in this thread to go with the 8" bass/mids.

If you like the Dayton 8" go with Dissi's crossover and tweeter.

rgds, sreten.
Old 29th September 2012, 09:19 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

sreten, I think you misunderstood... yes, I really like the suggested crossover (and tweeter). "random tweeter"... hardly. I'm looking at many different tweeters, even though I haven't done this in years, I understand how it works (bottom line is how it sounds) The truth is, I'm on a very limited budget, so it doesn't matter what I want to do, it's what I can do By the way, a friend made the original crossovers (I was still in the early leaning stage) He kept it simple, but used quality parts. This was my first speaker project (over 25 years ago), and I would like to do it better this time, but if I was doing a new project, I would build new enclosures (I have many ideas... way beyond a simple "box") I totally would be satisfied with the Daytons and crossover... thank you, but I also miss shopping around for drivers. I would love to post some of my ideas for enclosures (on a new thread) Everything from pyramids to transmission lines
Old 29th September 2012, 11:31 PM   #14
Dissi is offline Dissi  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hi acefromspace,

I also like shopping around for drivers, but keep in mind, you need a tweeter that operates from 1.8 kHz. Small horn loaded drivers and ribbons are not suitable. Your idea of a self constructed horn will give unpredictable results, but is not that bad. Actually there is a trend to use tweeters with special horns, called waveguides, to boost the lower frequencies...
Old 4th October 2012, 06:57 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Nobody answered my question about mounting tweeter in front or behind front baffle. The homemade "horn" idea was only concerning mounting the tweeter behind baffle (5/8 inch thick) At the very least, I would flare/round the existing cutout (3 inch dia) to avoid issues. Should I just choose a tweeter that fits the original cutout, or choose one according to what works best with the woofer and crossover, even if it has smaller mounting size (and requires adapter plate)?
Old 4th October 2012, 07:11 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

it is a fallacy that ribbons have higher THD than domes. When used too low then their THD is severe. Higher crossovers are a must though. For what its worth i wouldnt recommend a ribbon with an 8 incher in a 2way.

For once I would agree with Sreten and dissi on the drivers and filter shown (even if the rude delivery isnt agreeable)

Last edited by mondogenerator; 4th October 2012 at 07:15 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!