Dome midrange driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
THis is for my car stereo, which uses DIY components. Right now I have a 6.5" Peerless mid (with a 10 degree angling ring) and a MBQuart metal dome tweeter crossed at about 3Khz. After doing some tests with my RTA, ears and looking at white paper, I am bothered by the fact that I have a suck out at around 2-3K. It isnt crossover phase cancellation, but its just the fact that the 6.5" driver doesnt disperse that far off axis very well at those freq's.

Sooo... I plan to go for a 3 way setup with an 8" Peerless midbass driver. Then have it crossed over at around 800-1000 hz using an electronic 24/db/oct crossover, to this http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=287-020 dome midrange driver. The midrange dome appears to have excellent off axis response and power handling, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Then, on the upper end of the spectrum, passively crossed over at 5000-6000 hz to probably a set of Vifa textile dome tweeters. Im not too happy with the MBQuart tweeters, they're very bright and sound like PA system horns.

So, any recomendations on these particular drivers, or domed mids in general? Thanks.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Eric,

Here is a link you may find usefull. Full specs on the MDM55. http://www.moreleurope.com/products/MDM 55 datasheet.pdf

I have old philips dome mids and have been very happy with them, their major drawback (from my perspective) is that they don't go low enough for my needs. Based on the freq response graph, I'd say go for the 1000Hz xover point.

Regards,

Tony.

Hi Eric ,
I had the same problem in my car ,the MB Quart metal ear bleeders were too much ,although i found them tolerable
off-axis and quite detailed in general .
Sticking with a two-way my solution was to run the vifa
XT-25 mounted close to the mid (adire koda) ,on-axis in
the footwells ,and crossed low at 2000 hz.Mounting the
XT-25 and protecting it a bit of a chalange but this setup
works well for me although your three-way idea looks good.

Im new to home audio ,im learning a lot lurking here ,great site .

Regards,
Joe.

Guess I shoulda stated what kinda car it was too... that might help hehe. Its going in a 98 Corvette. The doors have ample room for an 8" driver and the mid. I'm going to try to angle the mid as far as possible. The 8" driver I will most likely leave flat since there probbly wont be enough room for any sort of angle. I want to put an 8" driver because I listen to alot of techno/club music and I like that 80-125 hz "punch".

And also, most the drivers dispersion below 1K and even extremely off axis looks pretty consistent. I do not have room for a kick panel due to the nature of the car. I think I will keep the tweeters where I have them now at the A pillars, right about my ear level, aimed slightly towards the occupants of the car, and firing at one another. I've had the tweeters down low near the mids before but it got too absorbed by the passenger, and it was verynoticeable (and it didnt sound that hot). However, now the tweets are running about 2.5khz on up. If I were to do the 3 way design, the tweets will most likely be crossed over an entire octave up at 5-6K is what I'm shooting for, so this would certainly effect the sound character. I just hope this gamble works.

Or I was listening to my system tonight and it actually sounds pretty good with the tweeters positioned where they are. I might save money and just live with that 2.5 khz dip or try to EQ it out some.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.